JD Simo Is Not Phil X

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Wow the internet critics are out in full force on this one. Maybe JD Simo is just a dude who REALLY LOVES to play guitar, has awesome talent, and is taking a no compromise path of playing what ever inspires him in that moment, while trying to take it as far as he can. What is wrong with that? What he is doing inspires a lot of us, very much! Isn't that the highest thing we can do with our talents?

If you don't feel the music, just listen to who YOU like. Why take jabs at him, his music his approach, his weight? Just listen to something else. What does that say about you? You think JD Simo may not read your words? No wonder well known musicians avoid these places.

Phil X is obviously a musical genius, with spontaneity, repertoire and command of the instrument that is off the charts. If you don't care for him, why don't you just keep that to yourself and perhaps show us somebody who inspires you, instead?

2. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I've seen many videos of JD - he's a fabulous player but I've no need to see anything more.

I've seen Phil and the drills, been in a few rooms when hes been there and talked to him for a short while. Much more normal and chilled when there isn't a camera around, always considered and friendly, I bought the latest drills release unheard because I think his song writing and licks are pretty unique.

I'm sure PhilX the 'personality' isn't for a lot of people but I enjoy his work a lot.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  3. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There's a lot of comments reading WAY too much into a JD vs. Phil thing. I don't think anyone here has said either is a slouch. Quite the opposite.

Torren61 and Georox like this.
  4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I didn't say I wasn't impressed. That clip simply reminded me of Jeff Beck. Some other clips reminded me of Brent Mason. He's very impressive. And hey, I'd love to come to your gigs. Where do you play?

Torren61 and matrix like this.
  5. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

All good @kelnet - joking around. I haven’t played out regularly since the early 2000’s. Small Vancouver venues that sadly are no more (Montmarte Cafe, Chivana’s....), all about a quarter-step up from open mic night. Good times though.

6. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

THIS ^^^

7. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Oh I disagree, I've heard tons of Freddie and Sam's bag played by lesser known guys in the 40's/50's from dudes in Roy Hawkins Orchestra to Robert Nighthawk to Johnny Watson on down the line. The biggest difference being smaller amps and less bendable friendly electric guitars. But, both those two were full of already played cliche's not only by guys on record but all the players whose name is forgotten from Memphis to Chicago to the coasts. That doesn't take anything away from any of them.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I took this post as meaning : why ?

What’s the point ?

A very valid and relevant question is :

Was Jeff Beck playing music from 1919 in 1969 ? Was he simply rehashing what had been done before ? No - he was pushing things a bit .

Is JD pushing things - at all ? Or simply playing his version of something that existed 50 years before ?

Somehow , sometimes pushing things can pay off both musically and success-wise.

Johnny Greenwood and Ed O’Brien and their band are quite popular and while they’re not reinventing the wheel, you can’t say those guys haven’t pushed music from time to time ...

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree on Johnny Watson. The others ?

Meh.

Freddie was making instrumental dance music with the guitar at the center .
    T Bone was a milestone and so was BB.

10. grayback

grayback TDPRI Member

I saw JD with Tommy Emmanuel a couple of years ago. Mind blown.

Torren61 likes this.
  11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Well, as someone who said that JD is a real guitarist while Phil is a clown, I have to take responsibility for injecting some negativity into this discussion. Didn't mean to diss anyone who likes Phil. I just find him too clownish to be worth watching. Whatever I enjoy and glean from his playing or explaining, he undoes with his bong-headed babbling. Too vain and dippy for me. That's just MY response, and not a knock on people who tolerate or like his YT personality, much less his playing. Nothing to get p.o.'d about.

I can see some merit in some of the comments here knocking look-how-many-notes-I-can-nanosecond. And on players who are more imitative than imaginative. I don't, though, find that JD fits either of those categories. Sometimes he does show his speed chops, but he folds that into the beat and texture of the song. And playing classic riffs and licks well isn't a flaw if 1) someone really enjoys playing and hearing that, and plays it as appreciative homage, and 2) someone can build on that, making it his own. I find that JD does 1) very much, and 2) very often, and both very well.

Plus, JD's tastes are more like my own. His classic country and blues tones and riffs sound better to me than much of what Phil X plays, just as I'd rather hear Kenny Vaughn than Frank Zappa.

So while I wasn't out to offend anyone, I'm also unsure why anyone would find this offensive. Mary Ann, for me. But if someone prefers Ginger, that's fine, yes? Hell, Mrs. Howell might be the most interesting preference, since that would involve some quirky explaining....

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    bender66, Torren61 and matrix like this.
  12. boop

boop Tele-Meister

He's awesome. Inspiring stuff. I heard some Les Paul. He's also playing a guitar made by a member with a build thread going right now!

Torren61 likes this.
  13. claes

claes Tele-Holic

who do you think girls would mate with if given a chance?

14. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Wait, you think Freddie invented instrumental guitar boogies? Besides theatrics you think T bone did anything Lonnie Johnson didn't do before him? You think BB invented guitar bending?

Ya got more research to do.

"Meh" on Roy Freakin' Hawkins?

If you don't hear some Freddie in here you didn't transcribe it or somethin:

Roy always had some bad dudes playing with him and all the blues guitar guys went when he was in town, hell, as for "meh" to Roy Hawkins who do you think wrote "The Thrill Is Gone?"

Robert Nighthawk's playing and electric slide playing is what got a lot of guitarists bending in the first place cause that's what they thought he was doing on the record as he went from plucked notes to slide during licks/solos! Not that he wasn't bending licks back in the 40's, he certainly was albeit on big hollow guitars with big strings.

When you just assume people invented stuff out of nowhere and are therefore more worth listening to or whatever I think you need to dig deeper. Beyond technology which helped A LOT, most guys who were the greats innovated a bit for sure but for the most part all of them were trying to play what they heard around them whether conscious or not..cause what you've already heard sounds the best.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

If JD Simo is just a mimic, can you please tell me who he was emulating when he played with Don Kelly? This is a genuine question, as I haven't come across anybody else flatpicking like that. Whoever he was copying, I'd definitely like to check out. Please, flatpickers only, as this is what makes his lines and approach pretty unique.

Torren61 and matrix like this.
  16. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

Not trying to cause controversy but I am curious what you guy's take is on his tone in this video? Not the playing just the sound.

I guess since I'm asking you can probably guess where I stand.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. RoscoeElegante

I love it. Those squawky, bite-y Tele highs, dry mids, and squarish bass notes--great stuff. Can't really separate it from his playing as he moves his right hand so deftly over the bridgeplate to dry out what he wants to sound bright if a high, dry if a mid, solid if a bass.

I love the amp settings, too. Kinda harsh at points, but that reverb rounds it all out, until 4:20, when the reverb is up a tad too much.

I also love how he uses the volume knob for some pedal-steel sweeps and rings. He so knows how to get each type of guitar and amp talking.

But my favorite tones here are 3:11-4:19. That's just gorgeous stuff--among my very favorite types of guitar tones.

Then again, I love all kinds of tones: Les Paul through big-iron and small-iron Tweeds, Brownfaces, Blackfaces, Silverfaces. Gretsch + Fender amp, Strat + Gretsch/Valco amps, Teles through Supros, Rickenbackers through Magnatones--you name it. I love almost all tones except really thin, muddy, metal, excessively phased or distorted ones, etc. I'll take rich, sustained cleans and edge-of-breakup stuff over fuzz and murk, but well dialed-in and used distortion can be beautiful, too. (I've been playing just acoustics for the past month or so, so my electric urgings are kinda buffet-ish right now.)

I hope you don't regret asking me this! With quizzes to grade, I'm Distractability Central.

What do you think about JD's tones here, and why?

Torren61 and Les H like this.
  18. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

[QUOTE="RoscoeElegante, post: 9129158, member: 121541I hope you don't regret asking me this! With quizzes to grade, I'm Distractability Central.

What do you think about JD's tones here, and why?[/QUOTE]

No regrets at all! Thank you for the details as to why and what you liked about it!

Bill Kirchen's tele tone is a little more up my alley I guess. Middle position, rounder tones work better for me I guess.

Torren61 and RoscoeElegante like this.
  19. RoscoeElegante

No regrets at all! Thank you for the details as to why and what you liked about it!

Bill Kirchen's tele tone is a little more up my alley I guess. Middle position, rounder tones work better for me I guess.

[/QUOTE]

Juicy stuff! Sounds a bit Stratty, actually. Not a bad thing!

Torren61 and Les H like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.