JBL Speaker Question(s)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rocgungfu, Dec 15, 2019.

1. rocgungfu

rocgungfu NEW MEMBER!

Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions about this JBL speaker, and hoping y'all can help me get some answers.

many years ago, I picked up an old fender sidekick 30 bass amp for $30, (awesome little solid state guitar amps) it had this 12" JBL speaker in it. Right away, I swapped speakers in it with a celestion I had, and this speaker sat packed away for many years.

I recently pulled it out to use in a cab, and measured it's resistance with a pretty decent multimeter and it reads 4.7 Ohms

Question 1, hoping to get consensus that this is indeed an 8 Ohm speaker and will not fry my amp head.

Question 2 - can anyone help me identify what model this is, this will definitely help me sleep at night knowing it is indeed safe for my amp.

There's no numbers or markings except a round ink stamp that is worn away, see pic

I can tell you it weighs a ton, frame is cast, the only way I know (think) it's a JBL is the wire clamps say JBL, I seriously doubt someone added them, but I guess you never know.

Thanks everyone!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  2. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i don't recognize the jbl by model but if it is 4.7 ohm then it should be an 8 and would be ok. what is the rating of the amp head? probably 8 ohm based upon what you want this speaker to be.

have you checked to see if this originally came with the sidekick? it may be considered a bass speaker. that said, it may sound great or not.

play music!

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've not seen a JBL that looked like that. I had to add wire clamps to an old EV once, so I suppose those could have been added. Although where you would get JBL clamps may be a mystery also. The frame isn't the usual JBL aluminum frame I recognize either, but maybe someone else will chime in here... I have a modern sound reinforcement JBL here but doesn't look like that.
    I wonder if it's a hifi speaker?
    Does the cone have a foam surround? or is it paper or cloth?

4. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a 12 inch JBL bought new in 1971 - totally different than those pics. Also think that might be a PA speaker - wire connections on mine are totally different also.

Doubt very much that you will find your speaker online anywhere under JBL.

5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

What makes you think that this speaker is specifically from the JBL brand ? o_O

-tbln

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

He said the wire connectors are labeled/embossed with JBL.

7. rocgungfu

rocgungfu NEW MEMBER!

Everyone, thanks for the replies, mystery solved!!

Bartholomew3 guessed it, its a PA speaker JBL 2022H and it is indeed rated at an 8 Ohms

The darn thing actually sounds pretty good, very balanced with a lot of headroom

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.