JBL D120 , in a princeton?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by racehorse, Mar 21, 2004.

1. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

what do you think? anyone tried it?
    It Is basicly a clean amp anyway. may have to nail the amp to the floor though.

Thanks racehorse

2. Pierce

Pierce Tele-Holic

might be a tight fit

you might have to spin the speaker to get it to clear.
    a 12 in a princeton is a good thing..

3. Tremo

Tremo Banned

If the speaker hole is offset a bit it should fit. I heard a Princeton Reverb with a JBL D110 and it sounded real nice for clean stuff.

4. Phil

Phil Tele-Meister

Yep

I've been using one for about 5 months now. It sounds great. Sparkly clean and overdrives beautifully with the volume above 6 or with pedals. I used a Rogers baffle and didn't have any problem getting it in. Recommended highly.
    Phil

5. racehorse

racehorse Tele-Meister

thanks

for the replys, If I pick one up I`ll give y`all a report
    Do you know the sensitivity of a d120?
    thanks

6. jeffreyk51

jeffreyk51 TDPRI Member

Princeton with 12" speaker

I have a 65' Princeton Reverb with a Rodgers 12" baffle board and a Celestion Blue. I strongly suggest a Celestion Blue instead of a JBL. The Blue is rated 15 Watts and the amp is 17 Watts. I can gig with this amp and keep the volume at 4-5 and still keep it clean. The Blue is very sensitave and responds to your touch. It can be overdriven by just about any good pedal. Highly recommended.

Jeff :lol:

7. Tremo

Tremo Banned

Celestion blue alnicos are indeed excellent speakers. The Weber Blue Dog is very similar for a lot less money.

Regardless, a JBL is a different animal entirely, and should not be dismissed out of hand, if you're looking for what a JBL does.

8. TY

TY Tele-Meister

Yes it is doable:

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=1257426

It's a tight fit but sounds wonderful. It is my #1 amp, plenty of guts for unmiked gigs. BTW, it's a mint greyfame D120F.

The previous picture link has a pic of the back with a different D120F I used to have in it. It is an old Waldom recone. Sounds good, but not as efficient as the original cone.

9. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Ty, have you tried

your pretty Bud through the PR? How does it sound? I've been toying with the idea of making a taller cab for my modded, 22 watt PR, and using a JBL 15" For home and studio use. I've got a G12H-80 in it now, that sounds great for guitar, but the low notes from my Kline U-12 are not as clear and clean as I'd like.
    JB

10. TY

TY Tele-Meister

11. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

TY, I knew the Twin was your steel amp

when I looked at your pics before. There was no doubt! Did you do the phase inverter mod on your PR. It makes it a lot cleaner sounding, whilst bumping the watts up to 20-22. I'm lookin' for a good sounding, small amp to take to sessions. I hate pluggin' in direct! Something that would sound good in the living room would be nice too. I'm getting ready to send out an ancient Shobud to a guy in Austin, to completely rebuild, refin, and put in an all new. modern undercarriage. It's an old single 10, on a single frame, which, having played a Universal 12 for so long, I really prefer. Gonna take a couple of months.
    JB

12. TY

TY Tele-Meister

I have done the PI mod on the princeton; it is now putting out 18 watts. Good headroom through the JBL with six string, but even the single coils on the shobud can eat up headroom real quick. Sounds great for home or studio use, would need to be mic'd for any band performance if you want crystal clean tone. If you don't mind some grit, the princeton could keep up.

The twin is one loud sucker and sounds like heaven. So big smooth and sparkly. Perfect match for the shobud. BTW, I only play E9; I couldn't play the back neck if my life depended on it.

13. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

You got a dolly to haul that twin around?

What's it weigh with the JBLs? The last time I played out, I used my Dr Z Prescription, with a Fender reverb and an old tube Echoplex. It sounded really good. Still miked it though. Have you gotten Lloyd Green's new cd yet? It's great. Even better go to Tommy White's site and get his video, "An Evening of E 9th". It's Lloyd and Tommy playing for about an hour. It's absolutely awesome, and very humbling!
    JB

14. TY

TY Tele-Meister

lloyd is one of my all-time favorites along with mooney

I have the twin in a 3/8" heavy duty road case. I've never weighed it but I'm sure with the case its gotta be over 130lbs. I think just the amp is somethin close to 90lbs. The only thing heavier could be E120s.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.