1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

JBE Gatton vs Modern Tele Bridge Pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Guitar_Lefty, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Guitar_Lefty

Guitar_Lefty TDPRI Member

I’m wanting a set of the JBE Tele pickups. I play mostly rock, country and electric solos to bluegrass songs which kinda comes off like country.

Can anyone tell me the difference between these 2 bridge pickups?

I’m sold on these just need to determine the exact one. Going to drop them in my ‘74 Tele.

thanks for any info

2. shallbe

shallbe TDPRI Member

I've had both in my Kirn. It came with the Gatton bridge, which I found way too bright---almost brittle sounding. You could roll off the tone a lot and get a pleasing tone, but it was still lacking mids to me. And the neck pickup really didn't need any roll off---it was ton of knob twiddling on a gig and I wasn't happy with the both pickups on sound either.

I replaced it with the Modern T and could not be happier. Still has ample treble, more mids but not mid heavy, but not spiky like the Gatton. Nice output, very versatile.

[​IMG]

The newer ones have the embossed JBE logo to counter the lookalike pickups now.

3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Guitar_Lefty likes this.
  4. Guitar_Lefty

Would you change the potentiometers also?
    And are brass saddles better, JBE sells these also.

5. Guitar_Lefty

6. shallbe

shallbe TDPRI Member

As long as you have good 250K pots you should be fine. I like brass saddles with these pickups, personally. However, not all brass is the same. It wears, behaves and sounds different depending on the alloy mix. I really like the Glendale stuff, but I'm sure the Barden is quality as well.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of the Wilkinson or Callaham brass saddles. They sound fine but notch too easily and then you get that sitar sound on the trebles. If it does ever happen, the small groove can be quickly buffed out with fine sandpaper, however.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I have never played the Modern , but agree the Gatton bridge pickup is too bright.

8. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

+1

Replace with Bare Knuckles Cobra T.

9. pashkop

pashkop TDPRI Member

i have the gatton bridge in one of my teles and i love it. i do play with the tone knob a bit, depending on what i'm playing, but i'm ok with that. i have not played the modern though... i made my choice between the 2, off of listening to reviews/samples/demos on the internetz. i'm sure you'll be happy either way.

10. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

I've had a set since 2003, and while the bridge has a tendency to be awfully bright, height adjustments and right-hand technique can tame it pretty easily. I find it's best to adjust the height of the neck pickup to sound "too bright" as well, then just turn down the treble on the amp a bit. I normally have my Treble at about 3.5-4.25 on a Deluxe Reverb with these pickups, and never above 5 with any other guitar - maybe 6 with a Lollar CC neck pickup. The brightness is very welcome if you use a four-way switch; the fourth position behaves a little differently than it does with single-coils, but is still noticeably darker than the other three.

I've often thought I might prefer the Modern version, and would still love to do an A/B comparison, but I always seem to make it work when I'm actually playing, largely just by paying attention to the above-mentioned right-hand technique. You want the volume to be high enough that you're not hitting harder to compensate; that's when the bridge sounds harsh.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

15 years ago or so I had a set in a Fernandez Tele.
    250 k controls. I'd turn the treble down... but they worked great!!

(That's before they came out with the more mid-range set).

12. shallbe

shallbe TDPRI Member

One more thing. I don’t like treble bleeds, especially with the Bardens. I like the additional treble and gain when I turn up, but feel the pickups sound best without the bleed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.