1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazzmaster: What Was Leo Thinking?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shango66, Jul 25, 2018.

1. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

FA751470-E9DB-4BE3-9139-21594A6C1C5A.jpeg I love everything about my Jazzmaster. IMHO Leo got it bang on right first time, regardless of whether it’s was originally conceived for jazz players. I gave mine a thorough setup, including thread locking the saddles, and I’ve not experienced any of the quirks associated with this type of guitar; no rattles, buzzing or string jumping. It’s a comfortable, great sounding guitar. I even dig the tone slider switch - great for dark rhythm and moody delay lines. I love both my Strat and Tele, but if I had to choose just one guitar then it would be the Jazzer.

maggieo, Loco, Jsil13 and 6 others like this.
  2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I just got a Jazzmaster last weekend. Picked it up this evening, plugged it into a Vibro Champ and hit an E form D major bar chord on the 10th fret on the bridge pickup - now where have I heard that exact sound before? Oh yeah . . .

maggieo, Matt G, Fearnot and 4 others like this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Besides the name of the guitar, you mean?

Check out a Squier Vintage Modified model- no lie, those are solid guitars. Not "for the money," they're good instruments period.

skisquash, maggieo and daddyplaysbass like this.
  4. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

I couldn't get even string spacing at the bridge, so I swapped it out for a Staytrem. I like the Staytrem tremolo arm better, too; not loose like the Fender arm.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I use a Staytrem, it ended up on my Mustang. Nothing but good stuff there, hope to get an arm because I have one floppy one. Strat guys have the same problems I hear. The string spacing, well I liked that I could space out my wound strings and push my plains together, or keep the high E string where I want it.

6. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I often wondered why Luther Perkins played a Jazzmaster after his Esquire - until I finally got a JM. Mine twangs way more than my Teles! It'll do jazz on the rhythm setting but it is the quintessential sound of surf (to my ears) in the middle position. Most expressive tremolo bar I've ever played. This guy tore one up too.

Attached Files:

El Tele Lobo, maggieo, AAT65 and 2 others like this.
  7. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Holic

WARNING! Removing the original collet from the tremolo assembly was a PITA! I ended up having to repeatedly heat it with a soldering iron tip and then apply an ice cube to it to get the [email protected]#$%&* nut off.
    :eek::mad::cry::cry::cry:

I don't recall ever having any problems with my Stat tremolo, but I replaced the whole thing with a Callaham, which I liked better.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Mickey Baker is kick ass and so is that whole record .

Find any picture of Joe Pass playing any guitar and I know what that Guitar is gonna sound like.

Like there’s a couple of moving quilts covering the amp and all the treble is rolled off the guitar. One of the greatest players with one of the most clichéd tones in all of music.

Jazzmasters? I thought there were a number of stock models now with improved trems ? Like they changed the string anchor location ? More string break ? I thought the J Mascis model was like that ?

I had an MIM Classic Player Jazzmaster a couple summers ago but let it go relatively quickly due to the tight spacing at the nut . I liked it a lot, the pick ups, even the weight wasn’t too bad.

1.65 nuts are just a joke and always have been.

maggieo likes this.
  9. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

In my personal opinion, the Jazzmaster was designed as the be all end all guitar of the day and while they were probably successful in sales, the music world rejected them as what they were intended to be. I imagine the jazzmaster was meant to compete against the strat.

10. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In my opinion this is a valuable, informative post. I would have thought the pups would be humbuckers for the Jazz Tone.

Shango66 likes this.
  11. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Polkamaster. Love it.

12. AdamI

AdamI TDPRI Member

It was the space age and beaming electronic signals through space and time was blowing people's minds (maaan)

The broad in Broadcaster was a reference to radio waves, the tele in Telecaster was a reference to television waves, the strat in Stratocaster was about taking the signal to the stars and the jazz in Jazzmaster was.... ummmm.... well the Jazzmaster had lots of switches and you could play them while surfing.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I played a 2014 MIA Jazzmaster model recently, and was mightily impressed!
    It was a sunburst/rosewood model with the pickup selector "up top", where I like it.
    The bridge had the bigger Mustang saddles, and the bridge flanges had plastic inserts.
    It felt very stable, and the wiggle stick worked beautifully.
    Good thing I'm broke.
    Doh!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Whadayamean, it says JAZZMASTER in all caps on the left there.

That surprisingly poor drawing shows it played while sitting, as intended.
    He went to the trouble of designing and patenting the offset body for the seated player, then called it "jazzmaster". I think it was for jazz.
    Jazz players were big pop stars back then. Rock and roll was new, and lots of people thought it was a fad. Les Paul was a jazz player, a pop star, had his name on a solid body guitar, and was Leo's buddy.

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Variations I guess. I broke one on an AV plate and the old collet came right off. Also owned several JMs and a Jag and haven't had a problem with the 'sad floppy arm' until I got an AV.

16. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Try plugging one in!!!

Piggy Stu and brookdalebill like this.
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess Leo could never have imagined that Tim Rodgers would get a hold of one...:lol:

18. Totally_Tod

Totally_Tod Tele-Meister

Yeh, I saw the LA version of that show, incredible. I couldn’t even see what amps were being used..

I’ve got a few offsets, ‘65 Jazzmaster refin (autographed by Johnny Marr), JM jag, telemaster I just put together, with a gold foil in the neck.. and a few more.

IMHO Jazzmasters are the most comfortable/ergonomic to play. The ‘65 is probably my most played, but probably a 50s fender is my fave.

Attached Files:

maggieo and Hyliandeity like this.
  19. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Not sure why this stuff gets discussed?

That's the beauty of guitars as a choice of instrument, the crazy amount of variety that's available. I don't pick one up and play the same exact music/stuff/style on every single one, if that's your approach then of course you'll have favorites. But, if you take each on it's own and try to get different things out of them and adapt how you play that's a much more satisfying endeavor.

StrangerNY and RoscoeElegante like this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Jazzmaster, not jazz.

daddyplaysbass likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.