Jazzmaster vs Telecaster For R & B

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
I enjoy played classic Soul/R & B/Funk styles. Also own an 83 Tele Standard, G & L ASAT Classic, and
American Professional 2 Deluxe. Obviously love Teles.
I've wanted to get an American Original 50's Tele but would need to trade my 1965 American Vintage Jazzmaster
that is in great shape to do it. I'm thinking that the Tele is better than the JM for Booker T, James Brown things
but recently saw that Jimmy Hendrix used to play a JM with bands before getting his famous Strat.
Any thoughts on this? I know people will say to each their own and of course that's true.
What I'm wondering is if anyone has used a guitar like the JM for the styles previously mentioned.
In the last year I have sold a 12 string Rickenbacker and a 1976 Les Paul Deluxe for the reason that they
weren't good for the styles and now am wondering about the JM. It doesn't really feel bad bad for it but
am I missing something without the AO or just buying something similar to what I already have?
Maybe someone can talk me in or out of it.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Keep the JM and find the best tone for what you’re playing and run with it. Same for your Telecasters and your G&L. Find the best tone for each guitar. They won’t sound the same. The settings will be different. A good equalizer like a BOSS EQ-200 will help. But there’s no one right tone for any genre. There are many of them, especially for older musical styles where the guitarist played the guitar he had into the amp that was available. You don’t need a Telecaster for country, a LP for classic rock, or a Gretsch for rock-a-billy. Find a good tone and play your instrument well and it won’t only sound right. It will be right.

Last edited:

DaphneBlue

Tele-Holic
I play rythm with an AVRI Jazzmaster in a soul band. I love the sound I get from the original pickups. I turn down the volume to 8 and the tone to 7-8. It has its own way and it is of course very different from a tele. Give it a chance!

Singin' Dave

Friend of Leo's
Agree with the others - don't sell Jazzmaster! You can play your style with anything and a JM is a great tool to have in your kit vs. just another Tele type which you frankly seem to have covered.

In other words, your current tool belt has 3 hammers (your T types) and a mallet (your JM), and you seem to want to add another hammer by getting rid of the mallet! DONT. You'll regret it. Save up for the extra hammer if you think you need it.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
The only point I’d make is that we shouldn’t look to hendrix as a fussy, particular guitar type chooser. He played whatever was available - be it top of the line gibsons or cheap fenders. I’m guessing he played the jazz master because that’s what he had. If memory serves it was a gift from his father.

Mind Flayer

Tele-Meister
Either one will work. They produce similar tones given their similar pickup configuration. Not identical, but same ballpark. I personally would go with a Tele because I hate how my hand hits the jazzmaster’s big neck pickup when I strum, but that’s just a personal thing and you have a jazzmaster already so you have an idea of whether or not that’s an issue for you. If you like your jazzmaster, I’d just keep that.

I really like how jazzmasters look and sound, but I just can’t get on with them because of that pickup hitting my hand issue.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
In playing the JM a lot the past few days it seems to work better for soul lick and riffs rather than
faster funk styles. I found when I added the tremelo bar with slower ballads Steve Cropper style it
came alive. Maybe a big reason I love the tele is because any strumming if free and wide with nothing
in the way, but the JM will have its application. I also found it worked better with my Twin Silverface
and 65 Deluxe rather than Tweeds. Sometimes knowing what amp to use a guitar with makes all the
difference. I've seen people with long faces in guitar stores because someone is playing a great sounding
guitar and they say they sold theirs before. The only difference is that the store player is playing it
through a different amp. It makes me extra cautious before I get rid of anything good.
This is a great forum for that sort of thing, we all need some help before making a move.

Matthias

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Jazzmaster pickups are very sensitive to height adjustments. Perhaps play with them a little. Dialled in a certain way you can get a pretty smooth bridge tone that is really easy to shape with pedals like a clean boost… You can get a nice spank without shrillness, especially if you dial back the tone a little. I always think of the JM tone as being quite neutral and needing some work to shape it into something special, but as such it’s quite versatile.

JBryantfan

TDPRI Member
In addition to the forum responses, this youtube video convinced me to keep the JM as well. Just what
I needed, a pro demonstration of Soul with a JM from an author and outstanding player

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
In addition to the forum responses, this youtube video convinced me to keep the JM as well. Just what
I needed, a pro demonstration of Soul with a JM from an author and outstanding player

There’s a video on YouTube (might even be the same guy, but sure) titles something like “What is a Jazzmaster for?” that showcases a lot of what a JM can do, including soul/R&B stuff.

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
I gigged with a JM in a soul top 40 cover band, late 60s-early 70s. BF Bandmaster, no effects. Worked just fine. It was my only guitar and my only amp.

You play the music you want with the gear you have, right? You tweak settings and techniques to get the sound in your head.

RoscoeElegante

Friend of Leo's
I'm one of those "THIS is my best guitar!" types of players--with just about every guitar I'm enjoying at the moment. So when I'm playing a Tele, I'm completely happy with it.

But this morning I woke up thinking, "I've got our rehearsal hall entirely to myself today, I need to go through a lot of songs, my strong teenage sons are working so I've got to haul my stuff into there all by myself, so I want just one electric, one amp, maybe a pedal or two."

And I immediately decided on my Jazzmaster. That's often the case. It's my ugliest guitar, by far. But (sorry, Tele fans and gods!), probably my most versatile. Not only are its own JM-specific smoky syrups great, but, properly fiddled with on the fly, it can nicely approximate Tele twang, Strat sproing, and Les Paul beef. (Gretsch jagged chime, not so much.) And, for my purposes, its vibrato works just fine. And when I'm playing it, I don't have to see how ugly it is....

Last edited:

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
Keep the JM and find the best tone for what you’re playing and run with it. Same for your Telecasters and your G&L. Find the best tone for each guitar. They won’t sound the same. The settings will be different. A good equalizer like a BOSS EQ-200 will help. But there’s no one right tone for any genre. There are many of them, especially for older musical styles where the guitarist played the guitar he had into the amp that was available. You don’t need a Telecaster for country, a LP for classic rock, or a Gretsch for rock-a-billy. Find a good tone and play your instrument well and it won’t only sound right. It will be right.
Very sage advice. 👍

Grateful Ape

Tele-Afflicted
Although it's already been covered, I'll add my voice to the throng as a piece of general advice to whoever is reading this - only ever sell a guitar you really like if you absolutely have to, for the money. Never to buy another guitar.

I'm sure I'm not alone in regretting many impulsive guitar sales.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The only point I’d make is that we shouldn’t look to hendrix as a fussy, particular guitar type chooser. He played whatever was available - be it top of the line gibsons or cheap fenders. I’m guessing he played the jazz master because that’s what he had. If memory serves it was a gift from his father.
I think so.

I also think there's just so little we can learn, about what would work for us, by how something worked for a musician as singularly singular as Hendrix. IMO, instruments took on unique characteristics in his hands - it just wouldn't work that way for 99.999% of players.