Jazzmaster Ultra -- Wiring Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WilburBufferson, Nov 8, 2019 at 9:07 PM.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

I posted this over on offsetguitars but I think TDPRI has more members who might have a solution? Have you seen the new JM Ultra? Whether you like the new direction of the JM or not, I really like the wiring/sound options it has. The rhythm circuit switch puts the middle position out of phase, and the top rollers function as volume pots (so you can change the ratio of neck to bridge pickups). They also have a S1 switch for series/parallel.

Fast forward to my question: can anyone point me in the direction of a wiring diagram that will make that switch: put the pickups out of phase and in series? I don't need the parallel out of phase sound (too thin). Getting the two rollers to be volume controls would be icing on the cake. Thanks in advance for any help. I've searched the internet for two days now and can't find anything close. I even emailed Fender for a wiring diagram and they said it's "a bit too soon" to have that available for download. I figured as much, with no hard feelings.

Here's the video for those who haven't seen it:

2. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

I'm not 100 percent certain I follow you in terms of exactly what you want (probably because I'm ignorant on the new Fender news), but have you looked at the wiring diagrams on the Rothstein Guitars site? It has a JM wiring scheme that swaps the rhythm circuit toggle and the roller knobs for a series/parallel switch (along with the G&L style high/low rolloff circuit). You lose conventional vol/tone controls (they both become volume and the G&L roller knobs are your tone control) but the series/parallel switch sounds like what you're after. I wired my JM this way. The switch is useful.

3. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Verne Bunsen likes this.
  4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

If Fender is as quick as they were with the American Performer service manuals (with wiring diagrams) the American Ultras should be up after Thanksgiving but before Christmas if you still want to wait for the Fender diagram.

That being said they still haven't put up the manuals for the MIM Vintera models.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I thought the JMU switching was interesting too.

Do the wiring sections in pieces. Many bass guitars are wired with the independent volume controls for two pickups.
    A 4-way telecaster switch is in the Johnny Marr Jaguar to give parallel and series options. Or maybe use a 3-way on/on/on switch for parallel/single/series (most used on a humbucker but could be two single coils).
    Either the Mustang or Jaguar SS has the phase reversal switching.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I can’t help with your question, but what a cool guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.