1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazzmaster style Tremolo with Tune-O-Matic Bridge

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by randyripoff, Dec 9, 2014.

1. randyripoff

randyripoff TDPRI Member

I'm kicking around some ideas in my head for a scratch-built guitar, and I know I want to use a Jazzmaster/Jaguar style tremolo. I'm pretty sure it should work with a standard TOM, but I'm wondering if anyone has insight or experience to share.

2. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

Why would you want to use a TOM? Use an adjustable Mustang bridge or a Mastery. Problem solved. Also, route your neck pocket with about a 3 deg angle to help with proper bridge height & string break.

Adjustable Mustang bridge.......
    [​IMG]

Mastery bridge......
    [​IMG]

Bob

3. Chocklit_Thunda

Chocklit_Thunda TDPRI Member

A very good suggestion but the Mastery bridge is expensive and not everyone likes it. I personally like the design but a lot of guys take issue with it not feeling the same. The mustang bridge is also a good suggestion and more "vintage correct"
    A TOM will work. A couple of fender models use a TOM like the J Mascis Jazzmaster.
    The problem with the TOM is that it sits on fixed posts while the JM bridge is designed to rock back and forth when you wiggle the Trem bar.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have one & it is a FANTASTIC guitar w/o the usual JM bridge quirks & issues

5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i'm working on a jazzmaster for a friend right now that has a j mascis body (and a TOM bridge). the TOM and traditional jazzmaster use very similar mounting cups. i've swapped them before on a bigsby tele. not that much work in it. of all those bridge types, i like the mustang-style bridge the best. least rattle and simplest design. they're pre-radiused to 7.25, but i've used them on 9.5" fretboards without an issue

6. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

The rocking bridge has more issues then benifits. I think the best option is to use a roller TOM

7. rscalzi

rscalzi Tele-Afflicted

8. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Classic Player's JM and prefer the TOM. I used to have a Mustang with rocking bridge and didn't like the instability and resulting intonation impacts.

I agree that a roller TOM would be ideal although a regular TOM seems to work just fine with a little lube on the saddles.

9. paulo6

paulo6 Tele-Meister

I've had a Squier J Mascis JM for over a year and have no problem with the TOM bridge. No idea how it compares with the other bridges mentioned, but I certainly don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

10. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

I don't care for standard tune-o-matics with Jag/JM or Bigsby vibratos. They *can* be made to work, but I think it's a poor design - the strings grind over the saddles, the bridge still flexes back and forth, etc. The Mastery is actually very similar, but designed and made to better handle the stresses of vibrato use. While I'm a big proponent of Mustang bridges - mine work great - if you insist on using a tune-o-matic style bridge, I'd go with a Wilkinson like this:

[​IMG]

11. randyripoff

randyripoff TDPRI Member

Lots of excellent information. Please keep it coming if possible. Thank you.

12. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Just keep in mind that if you use a Mustang bridge (including the adjustable one from Warmoth), they've got a wider string spacing and put the E strings really close to the edge of the fretboard on a Jazzmaster. If I were building from scratch (or parts), I'd either get a neck with a slightly flatter radius to match one of the Schaller or Gotoh roller TOM's, or use the Wilkinson-style that Poolshark posted (the saddles can be shimmed to a different radius with a cut-up soda can.)

Personally I've never had tuning issues with my standard Jazzmaster bridge, although I did wrap the posts in tape to keep the bridge from rocking (I've been meaning to come up with a more "permanent" solution, but the tape has worked fine. Also: I'm lazy.) Putting a small shim in the neck pocket to increase the angle over the bridge is pretty standard for offset guitars too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.