Jazzmaster route?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Vara, May 12, 2016.

1. Vara

Vara Tele-Meister

How hard would it be to route out a hole for a middle Jazzmaster pickup on a Jazzmaster? I don't have much woodworking experience. Would you recommend I go to a store like home depot or something to do it for me, or is it not very difficult?

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

The beauty of guitars like the JM is that all sins are hidden away behind the pickguard. ;-)

It's not very difficult, but it's not impossible to mess it up. Do you own a router? Can you use it without taking your fingers off?

Do you have a drill press? Can you set the depth on it so that you don't drill straight through?

If the answer to those questions is "yes," then you can probably handle it. :)

3. Vara

Vara Tele-Meister

What if the answers are "no, maybe, no, maybe"? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I suppose at least someone I know has to have some tools I could use.

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The hard part is routing the guard, since as Jupiter said, you can't see underneath.
    You could remove the wood where you want a pickup to go, with a hand drill and a forstner bit pretty easily, but you'd need to buy a routed pickguard if you're not sure about routing the body.

Thinking about it, there would be almost no pickguard material between the pickups because they are so big; I'm not sure it's a great idea.
    For the body it might make sense to go with a bathtub rout, but overall it would be hard to pull off without it looking butchered.

5. Vara

Vara Tele-Meister

The bathtub route is a great suggestion! But I don't know, these look pretty clean to me.

The last one, however...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Personally I think you could go with a Strat middle pickup which would be easier and sound good, and if you haven't done this , pay someone who knows what they are doing.
    Routing the guard and body for a JM pickup with the mounting ears looks tricky to me.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If you look close at the pics there is a section of pickguard in between the pickups that is actually little pieces stuck in there, because the pups are so close together they are pretty much touching, so there is no pickguard material separating them.
    You would have one giant hole in the pickguard, and fill it with pups, then fill in the gaps between the pups with little scraps, held up somehow on little pedestals sticking up out of the wood.
    On the red JM it looks like the little pieces are screwed to little posts.
    Doable certainly, but not really easy for a beginner.

One option would be to paint the inside of the body black, cut straight lines from the sides of the bridge pup to the sides of the neck pup, put it all together and live with the gaps.
    I built a guitar like that in the '80s, and was too busy playing it to care about the guts showing a little.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  8. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

It definitely can be done, but a store like Home Depot would never do it. If you are nervous to get the tools and try it yourself, your best bet would be to call different guitar shops in your area and ask if they can do it.

I like the idea of a bathtub route in the body, that's what I have done on jazzmasters in the past. And there should be plenty of room on the pickguard for a middle position, at least if you are using Fender spec stuff. Some of those import non-Fender clones might be different sizes.

Vara likes this.
  9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

In that case, I'd say, "maybe no..." :D

Vara likes this.
  10. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

If you are serious I recommend getting the pickguard made first. I got mine from http://www.terrapinguitars.com/ for my 12-string Jazzmaster. It has a hardtail bridge and I needed a custom pickguard to make for a clean look.

11. Vara

Vara Tele-Meister

I was actually looking into the pickguard and came across a few forums on this site. The same website you linked was mentioned, maybe it was you. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely be checking out the website.

12. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't do it, and I do own a router lol

13. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Three jazzmaster PU's is obviously a tight squeeze and I wouldn't want to do it without a completely buttoned-down router jig. OTOH if you really bone it, there is plenty of room in there for just about any pickguard-mounted pickup configuration.

It will take patience and courage, sometimes a rare combination.

14. mcjt

mcjt TDPRI Member

i've seen this done before, and as we can all see, the pickups are very closely positioned. it's a difficult job. Doable, but difficult.
    i love the jazzmaster the way it is (i have three), but 3 P90's could be interesting :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.