1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazzmaster rhythm circuit on both pickups?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SixStringSlinger, Feb 24, 2020.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What happens when you turn the volume all the way down? Does volume also go to zero? Does it cut all the treble?

Pics of the circuit will probably help.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Did you use a 50K linear tone pot? A regular 250k or 500k pot would exhibit the problem you're reporting.

When the rhythm tone is UP, the signal has a clear shot to the volume pot, though a fair amount of signal will still bleed through to the cap because it's such a low value pot. So, tone UP is a small amount of treble cut.

When the tone is DOWN, the signal sees a 50K resistor in series, which reduces output. Then the full (remaining) signal sees the cap, and it bleeds off the treble. The remainder is sent to the volume pot.

So, if you used a 500K pot, when down, the signal would be blocked by that full resistance.

3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

What do you use to draw these up? I'm looking for the same thing but on a Jaguar. A way to turn the bridge pickup and neck pickup off and on while in the rhythm circuit.

4. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

I just found a jazzmaster wiring diagram online, then copied it and used ms paint to draw the connections.

Steve Holt likes this.
  5. Steve Holt

I was actually thinking about doing that! Do you know how this would work with a jaguar?

6. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

I'll draw up a diagram when I get out of work.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My Avatar guitar has 2-3 way toggle switches. 1 is for pickup selection and 1 is for tone cap or volume only for either pickup or both.

Something simple as putting darker tone cap selection in the tone circuit could work.

Or simply wiring the rhythm switch to choose between the 2 pots and caps circuits after the pickup selector and before the signal goes to the output jack.

8. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

jag wiring.png

9. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

There ya go.

10. Steve Holt

11. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

No problem, let me know how it works out. As I said earlier in this thread, I really enjoyed the sound of the bridge pickup going through the rhythm circuit.

12. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

Also if anyone is still curious about this question, I'm pretty sure moving the green wire on the rhythm circuit tone pot to the middle lug (the one with the black wire) will solve this issue.

13. Steve Holt

Bearzooka, you're a gentleman and a scholar. I got it wired up in my fender jag and it works great. I was really close though! I knew I needed to move the neck pickup wire down to the first lower switch but then I couldn't figure out to do with the other wires that needed shuffled around.

I'm really digging the sound of the bridge pickup on that 50k pot too. I've got two jaguar builds on progress that I'll definitely be doing this to. But I'm really glad I got my fender fixed up too.

14. Bearzooka

Bearzooka TDPRI Member

Thanks man, good to hear everything works. Enjoy!

Steve Holt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.