1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazzmaster Replacement Bridge

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by threadbare, Mar 14, 2017.

1. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

Have a Jazzmaster on the way!!! School me on replacement bridges. 20 plus years ago a band member had a jagstang & I hated the bridge. Evertime you'd bend a string it would slip outta place. Evertime I google "Jazzmaster Replacement Bridge" those really expensive mastery bridges come up. Anybody tried one of these or any other aftermarket bridges?
    Is the mastery bridge worth the $$$?

2. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I put a Mastery on my Bigsby equipped '04 it really was worth the price, turned the guitar into what I had always hoped it would be, stays in tune far better and has better sustain. Would put one on my SA503TVL Bigsby if I could.

Boil

P_20170313_215858.jpg P_20170313_215956.jpg P_20170313_220057.jpg

AngelDeville and threadbare like this.
  3. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

I've built three J-Style guitars over the past year. I used a StayTrem bridge on two of them, and a mastery on the third. StayTrem is the best bang for the buck. $85, shipped (from the U.K.)..

The Mastery is a work of art, but costs more than twice the price. The one practical advantage it has is allowing the radius to be changed. The StayTrem comes in 7.25 or 9.5" versions and the radius is fixed.

threadbare likes this.
  4. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

I put an ebay special mustang bridge on a jaguar I had, night and day difference. Those threaded saddles that come with them normally are hopeless. I've got another one to go on my JM next time I do strings in it.

The mastery units look amazing, but I can't justify dropping 230 CAD on a guitar that cost me 550 CAD new. some day ...

Cliffyg62 and threadbare like this.
  5. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Holic

StayTrem looks traditional, but is superior to the Fender bridges.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1489499634.234456.jpg

threadbare likes this.
  6. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

Been leaning towards the mastery, but I might have to do my homework on the stay tremolo first. Thanks for the replies!

7. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

I posted this before, but I really like the Tune-O-Matic. I need to make a part 3 video with final results, and then combine the 3.

A bridge can be had for under $20, but I think a Nashville may be less work. but still under $40

threadbare likes this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

See if you can track down a PRS S2 Vela bridge. They are doing the 'Mastery' style of brass saddles and two adjustment screws per three strings system.
    It's a Tele style plate so you'd need to do some fitting.

[​IMG]

threadbare likes this.
  9. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

I put a Mustang bridge on my Jazzmaster, works great. The only drawback is it's only available in 7.25" radius. The Staytrem looks nice, but not sure what makes it worth twice the price of the Mustang bridge. My controversial opinion on the Mastery is that it's for people who don't really want a Jazzmaster. Jazzmaster bridges need to rock back and forth when you use the trem.

threadbare likes this.
  10. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I use the Staytrem bridge, and upgraded the tremolo arm with Staytrem parts also.

I'm sure the Mastery is great. I had one, but sold it to someone on this forum when I discovered the Staytrem.

threadbare likes this.
  11. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

A big, enthusiastic Staytrem endorsement here. I had good luck with the Warmoth Modified Mustang bridge, but when the exchange rate dropped, I popped for a Staytrem and agree that it's the best bang for the buck. It's a super nice piece, real quality you can feel, and I've had NO problems with the bridge since. The 52mm string spacing is a nice bonus too.

I'll be buying another for my other JM real soon.

threadbare likes this.
  12. Mxrk

Mxrk Tele-Meister

The thing I never realized about the Mustang bridge until I bought one is that the barrel saddles have no set screws. They are just way fatter and sit on the bridge baseplate at the appropriate heights. You can still height adjust the entire assembly on either side, but there's no fussiness with individual saddle heights. Which I like.

I would say if you've got a 7.25" fretboard, the Mustang bridge is cheap and fixed all the major problems I was having with my Jaguar's old bridge. It's just simple and easy.

If your Jazzmaster is one of those new Pro models, then it already has a Mustang bridge with the correct radius, which is another vote in its favor.

threadbare likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.