Jazzmaster, Rattle and Buzz problem (internal)?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by freshchops, Feb 20, 2016.

1. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

Here's a look at my Mastery Bridge and how the strings fall on the neck. On my guitar at least, it works great, and it sounds and plays 1000% better than with the stock bridge (or a repro Mustang bridge, which is what it had for years).

Attached Files:

2. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

Thanks tealsixtysix! Is that your "teal '66"?

I was just returning to the computer to show pictures of where the strings sit on the bridge. The "Mastery" bridge looks like a sure thing, expensive maybe but if it's a must...

I think the overall spacing, specifically the narrower spacing between strings on the mastery bridge is encouraging. I think the vintage style Fender is a bit too wide for the neck. I have to nudge the strings inward a bit more than I'd like, particularly the 1st. If the post aren't perfectly drilled to align with the neck, even if replacing with the mastery bridge, I'd be weary that it'll set the strings off in the neck.

I've attached pictures of how they sit on mine. This is also the widest I'd like them, so ideally, I'd have them even a bit more narrow, closer together. It looks like the mastery saddles have the strings well snug together and sitting pretty on the fretboard.

Attached Files:

3. tealsixtysix

It is indeed! It was refinished -- by Gord Miller, last year -- but it's a great guitar. 50 years old next month, at least according to the neck date.

Is yours one of the new Wildwood Thin Skins? Looks great from here. I hear they have Ocean Turq models incoming; I really don't need a second Jazzmaster, but I might be tempted.

They are expensive for what they are. But they really do work as advertised. My guitar is way more resonant and fun to play since I put the new bridge on it. I'm a fan. If and when I add a Jaguar to my little collection, it'll also get a Mastery.

They do. Everything lined up just right with very little fuss.

4. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

Original electronics & p/u's in your '66? I love how that super dark rosewood looks w/ the teal and aged whites!! You mentioned more resonance. That's encouraging. I think the cheap and chintzy original vintage bridge plays into some of the quirky chime and harmonics with the JM's (and probably Jags). As long as the Mastery doesn't completely take from that. On a budget, I can't splurge for any gear upgrades at the moment, but I've bookmarked the mastery bridge for the near future. Glad it's worked out for you!

Did you experience any buzz issues prior or just upgrade for the resonance?

5. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

...never heard it referred as that, but it's the thin flash coat. For what it's worth, I don't think you'll gain anything from one of their Vintage Reissues that you don't already have from your '66. Remember, they're trying to replicate, best as possible, what you already have. Need to splurge? ...add the Jaguar to the family 1st :cool::cool::cool:

6. tealsixtysix

Mostly. The master volume and tone pots were replaced with new CTS pots a while back. The guitar was all hacked up when I got it years ago -- it's a restoration, really, but it's all the original bits (including pickups) except for the Mastery Bridge, the Schaller strap buttons, a few screws (new ones from Fender to replace stripped old ones), one of the internal shielding pieces (and I have a real '66 part on the way to replace that at some point), and a few bits of non-matching wire inside.

At some point soon it'll probably get a complete new wiring harness. The rhythm-circuit switch acts up periodically, and there's some buzzing that comes and goes. And it will need frets eventually. But it's a player, not a case queen. Nice guitar.

7. tealsixtysix

Yep, I have my eye on a particular old Jaguar. It's mostly original but it has been refinished... so it wouldn't be a crime if I were to re-refinish it in teal to match the Jazzmaster.

What I meant by "Wildwood Thin Skin"... Wildwood Guitars is a big Fender dealer in Colorado. Fender occasionally does special runs for them. Right now, they have what they call "Thin Skin" Jazzmasters in the same color as yours. They're the American Vintage spec, but with 9.5" radius and taller 6105 frets like many Custom Shop guitars. It's a cool variation.

I had a reproduction Mustang bridge on mine for years and I had all sorts of trouble getting it right. Buzzing, the strings would slip from side to side... I had three shims in the neck and I just couldn't get it the way I wanted. I've had that guitar for 25 years and honestly it has spent most of that time in its case. I tried the Mastery last year... and that inspired me to get it refinished properly (it had been badly resprayed a long time ago) and get it all put together correctly. It's very close to being great now. Once i deal with the balky switches and get the frets taken care of (they need to be leveled and dressed for sure, and they might need replacement), it'll be fantastic. It sounds and feels great.

8. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Rickenbackers sometimes get this too. I've never noticed it coming through the amp in a distinct way (maybe it's the jangle... JMs and Rics are the jangle machines), but I get rattling/buzzing sounds when I'm playing it acoustic pretty regularly.

9. Mhat

Mhat Tele-Meister

I have a Mastery on my '65 and love it. I was playing with 10s and had a rare occasional buzz on my low E. I recently switched to 11s and that resolved all buzzing.

You could try building one of these...
    1.jpg
    Seems like it'd be easy.

10. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yep, great guitars indeed. I have one from their previous run. It's a Jazzmaster in shell pink.

As great as it is, I made several upgrades that made it even better:

Staytrem bridge and trem

Spitfire tortoise pickguard

Kinman hum free pickups

The finish on the Thin Skins definitely starts to wear and age more quickly than the standard Fender finish.

11. jimbcac

jimbcac TDPRI Member

I just bought a brand new squier jm...worked fine till I took the plastic film off
    of the pick guard etc... BUZZZ.. It seemed to be related to the trem bar assembly.
    So I took that off expecting to find a ground wire loose or something.. No wire,
    just a nice routed out hole for the trem assembly... so I
    took the pickguard off.. There WAS a ground wire going to the bridge cup on
    the treble bout.... Tried jigging wire, seemed firm... However shone a light
    into the cup and found a bunch of wood chips or some other crud generated
    by the manufacturing process.. Took trusty can of spray air and sprayed..
    ALSO did not like the wiggle in the bridge. So wound some .24ga copper wire
    around posts and put a drop of solder on each..... No more buzz, post seems
    a bit less wiggley and everything sounds great May have to
    invest in an aftermarket bridge cause the one there kind of
    sucks.. I also have a Squire Bass VI with same problem....

I LIKE this guitar.
    Had read in this website about the bridge pickup being a bit too warm for
    weenie players like me. So purchased a GFS vintage Jazzmaster bridge
    pickup. However the OEM pickup seems just fine.. I may just leave it in and ebay
    the GFS one, Or someday if am feeling creative will try installing GFS.
    When I swap pickups I always solder a wire on each end with snap
    connectors so I can change out pickups without having to solder ever
    again.... Wish guitar makers did this, would make life a lot easier.. I also
    kind of like the idea of that wire screw junction box have seen advertized.
    THat way you just install in the box and screw whatever connections you
    want without the ol soldering iron... REally do not especially enjoy soldering,
    mostly cause it looks like done by a badly trained chimpanzee when am done...

Am actually thinking of getting a USA Fender JM... Have a Japanese Jag and like
    it well enough (lets go surfing now, everybodys learning how, come on a surfari
    with me, boom boom boom, ah Frankie and Annette sing it for me) Every time I
    play the Jag have to start playing tunes from BEACH BLANKET BINGO.

However the JM is sort of like a mix of a strat with a smeech of tele and some
    jag mixed in. Mine rings.. An Indonesian guitar that RINGS.. Finger tapping
    works, great sustain.. THink that aside from that crud in the bridge cup that
    I got a good one....Huzzah....
    "Pineapple princess,I love you your as cute as you can be, and some day we're
    going to marry, and you will be my pineapple queen"....ah 1965 such memories..

best to you all

jim in gold bar

12. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

I have my JM set up with 10s and a shim in the neck. The shim lets you raise up the bridge and increase the break angle. I've never had much of a problem with the stock bridge after doing that. Once you have it setup how you like, use blue Loctite to lock it in, otherwise you will eventually get rattles and your setup could get messed up. Setting up and maintaining a Jazzmaster is a little more work than other guitars, but it's worth it.

I'd stay away from any bridge replacement that doesn't rock back and forth. I know some don't. I think the rocking bridge is a big part of the JM tremolo sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.