1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazzmaster Pics (Quarantine Edition)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Southpaw Tele, Mar 27, 2020.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ah, I nearly missed the JM Jag. I just gave mine a setup last night. Wonderful guitars.

Here are both my offsets, together. Sadly, no Electric XII to stand next to them...

20200226_024614 copy.jpg

2. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Squire VM Jazzmaster with Staytrem bridge. I use it only occasionally and there are no issues, but if I started using it more often I'd probably upgrade the wiring, just to be on the safe side.

Squier Jazzmaster.jpg

3. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

2967DB62-2F2F-485B-B22D-212334F860C7.jpeg

My CIJ Jazzmaster in Lake Placid Blue. Replaced the pickups with Curtis Novak Vintage JM’s. Stock wiring was correct. Strung with flat wound 11s. Added the Fender bridge cover. Bridge works just fine with the 11s.

Came with a nice gig bag; bought the G&G case after the purchase.

4. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m digging it a lot it plays beautifully with good action, and is a decent weight for an offset. I’d suggest trying one out. I can’t exactly say how the pickups are as I think they sound good but need some adjustments I’ve been too lazy to make to sound better (while I’m thinking about it maybe I’ll tinker with it tonight)
    I’ve only had it for a couple months and everything seems to work well, the only gripe I have is that the highest E is dangerously close to the edge of the fret and will slide off the edge if pressed too hard. This might not be an issue with other electric xii’s just thought I’d mention it, I bought it from a physical store and usually inspect pretty good before purchase but I missed it for some reason

SixStringSlinger and AAT65 like this.
  5. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks...I feel the same about the Dot inlay, and binding. The binding, It's what I expect to see when I look down. The 66 is Olympic White, though now it's yellowed I guess because of the lacquer. It's been a long time since I popped the neck, but I recall it was stamped Feb 13 66. The pickguard is not original. When I was 18 I had a Yellow 65 Olds 442 with black interior. I left the Jazzmaster in the case on the backseat on a brutally hot summer day. Well, the pickguard warped on me, actually oneof the screws torn the body on the inside. I should have kept the pickguard it and taken a iron to it, but...dopey kid at the time, tossed it, put a black pickguard on. Then some years later found a Tortoise shell that fit. I also replaced the pots, but still have the originals. The tuners are original vintage tuners which I love also. The s/n is 120675. PS...I had a 62 Reissue in Sunburst, beautiful guitar, but I just didn't bond with it. Sold that, and was lucky yo find a new 65 Reissue. What's interesting is I've never had a problem with Fret Sprout on the 66. The 65, awful, and I've only had it a 1 1/2 years. Other than that is sounds great!

6. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Beautiful guitars, all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PixMix likes this.
  7. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

If you're likely to do the wiring upgrade yourself then I salute you!
    I had James' Home of Tone in Stourbridge transform my Squier VM wiring from this

20180426_214848.jpg

to this

IMG_0735.JPG.jpg

I thoroughly recommend James' work. Quality materials and components and he knows JMs.

zippofan, moosie, AAT65 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I need to redo the rats nest of wiring in my CV. I can get it a lot quieter with copper foil on the guard. My Warmoth is like a Faraday cage of conductive shielding paint and copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

10. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Beautiful guitars in this thread. I’ve got a bad case of jazzmaster fever. I’m considering trading my Firebird in for one.

Played one for the first time a few months ago on a trip to New Orleans. Was in a vintage guitar shop. The selection wasn’t great. Started out playing an old Les junior, but the strings were so old and crusty, it was pretty much unplayable. So I tried a jazzmaster, which I normally wouldn’t have considered. But like I said, the pickins were slim.

I loved it.

And I just haven’t bonded with this Firebird, even though I’d always wanted one. Might try getting it a proper setup first, but I’m not sure how much it can actually help. I just don’t like the way it plays, the way it sounds... the way it feels.

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Here's my Quarantine Jazzmaster Project #2 of 3, hot off the bench:

IMG_6421.jpeg

It's a partscaster build from Squier VM parts I accumulated. I installed the P90 style Squier J Mascis pickups with a mint guard, rewired the rhythm toggle for series/parallel, and painted the headstock. If you're looking to try out a vintage style Jazzmaster without sinking the money into a MIM Vintera or US Reissue, the Squier VMs are the business.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    hemingway, zippofan, PixMix and 10 others like this.
  12. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a Fender Players Jazzmaster I just got a couple of weeks ago from Reverb/Chicago Music Exchange, it is Ice Blue metallic with pure vintage 65 pickups. The body is supposed to be cut out so I could put the rhythm circuit in which I plan to do later.

Jazzmaster1 001.JPG Jazzmaster2 004.JPG

13. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Whoa, the things you find under the bed! I'd forgotten all about this Jazzmaster project body. I think I've got enough bits & pieces in the guitar dungeon to make a guitar out of it with all the time inside.

[​IMG]

Some vintage spec pickups were sitting around on the shelf:

[​IMG]

and the Maple Squier neck might work with it:

[​IMG]

Southpaw Tele and WingedWords like this.
  14. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Looking forward to seeing progress on this one!

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Found my pix. Here's the main shot. They call it BSB, but it's actually what we would usually call "honey blonde." Thank goodness, because I can't stand BSB. Since it is a relatively opaque application, and it's over a relatively plainly grained piece of wood, it pretty much reads as a yellowed mid '50s Desert Tan (like an early Duo-Sonic or Musicmaster).

IMG_6197-2.JPG

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Tell us about that skinny little guitar cable... Or is your JM listening to some tunes? :lol:

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

vox-aphn-4type.jpg

draggindakota and moosie like this.
  18. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

Fedex delivered a package to an office in another state so I'll have to call tomorrow and see if I can get that sorted. What does that have to do with this thread? Stay tuned to find out...

Southpaw Tele and WingedWords like this.
  19. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Picked up a VM JM last year around this time, it was going to be the last guitar I bought (until I saw the Grote ES-125 style hollow body lol), it's sweet:

VMJM_SB.jpg

Staytrem bridge, Fender MIM trem, Bootstrap Lake Surfer pickups and rewired lead circuit with Bourns pots, Switchcraft switch and jack, Orange Drop cap.

hemingway and Southpaw Tele like this.
  20. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

Thin Skin Charcoal Frost with a Mastery bridge. Stunning in person.

IMG_2183.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.