1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazzmaster owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Volk, Dec 8, 2011.

1. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Well, here's what my Squier VM looks like now- got an HH pickguard off eBay (had to file it a little, otherwise good) and a pair of G&L humbuckers off Reverb. Tone pot is now a push/pull to split the 16K bridge bucker. I'd gotten a good deal on a TVL Jazzmaster so I wanted to see if I could take this one in a different direction. It still has the basic Jazzmaster sound, it just hits the amp harder and has more subdued high end.

IMG_4293.jpg

The pickup cavity was too shallow for the legs on the HBs, so I used a drill to rout channels for them. Yeah it's sloppy, but nobody's gonna see it except you guys.

IMG_4041.jpg

2. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Nice! I've been thinking about doing something similar. I also have a TVL Jazzmaster that covers the traditional JM ground but I'm looking for something with a bit more power and sustain.

How do those Humbuckers compare to the TVL's AV65's? Do they get you into Les Paul territory in terms of creamy sustain?

PixMix likes this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I put 500K pots in my VM, I'm pretty sure the TVL has 500K pots as well. The AV65s definitely have that Jazzmaster high end going on that that the humbuckers don't, and the buckers have higher output as well as sounding a little "fuller" while the AV65s are more "detailed" in the high mids. I was surprised that splitting the bucker doesn't really sound that great, it's just kind of thin and weak sounding when played clean. It's a 16K pickup, so it's like an 8K strat pickup when split (going into 500K pots, though). I haven't A/B'd it with a Lester so I don't really know how they'd compare, but you definitely get the rawk crunch when you play dirty. These are Asian G&L pickups, I imagine more "Gibson" style pickups might sound different.

In the end it's different enough from the AV65s in the TVL to justify having both, which was the point of the exercise. Maybe down the road when I've got some more time with the VM I'll replace the pickups with something fancier, but for now it's fun to explore the new tonal options. I was never much of a humbucker guy, so this is new territory for me.

NewKid and TheletterJ like this.
  4. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Here's mine, a classic 60's lacquer with a rosewood board. With the latest Cites treaty, the boards are just now swapping to Pau Ferro of course - and I was told this would be the last shipment of RW boards Andertons would have.

Was actually thinking more in lines of the Squier VM, but somehow this just spoke and felt better (despite the garish orange neck) so I ended up spending rather more than I'd thought. Love the range of sounds you can get from a Jazzy. Actually I'm spending more time in the rhythm circuit than I ever thought I would.

Thus far (three days in) I've had none of the bridge woes you hear so much about - I'm usually fairly heavy handed but the only way I managed to get any slippage was to deliberately pick the strings away from the body. So I'll keep things as they are for now, but will likely go the staytrem route if I find problems in the future.

The only bugbear for me is the tremolo arm: the section that goes in to the body seems way too short - it's threaded like a Strat trem but there doesn't seem to be anything in the Collet to match, plus to use it the arm has to be so far out that it's barely in the collet. I understand though that there's a staytrem solution for that so when string changing time comes il think about that...

IMG_0510.JPG

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't think you're supposed to have a threaded arm on these, it should have a slight flange that snaps into the collet. Nice one btw!

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  6. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

A great guitar.

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I thought that the 60s lacquer did have the threaded arm, like the Mascis...

8. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

IMG_0811.JPG Here's my turser I routed for a floyd and made a new 2 SC pickguard for.

benjammin420 likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My Lacquer 60s had a pop-in arm, and most Squier JMJMs I played had a Squier pop-in arm as well. Only threaded arm I'm aware of is the Fender Classic Player JM.

savofenno likes this.
  10. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Mine did not have a threaded arm.

11. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

IMG_6052.JPG
    94 MIJ.

horax, wyclif, Aron83 and 6 others like this.
  12. Jimclarke100

Seems that the consensus is that the lacquer should have a push in arm.

Question is can I be bothered to drive for over an hour each way to sort a problem that costs about £10 to fix....

I think at least a call to Andertons is in order - though I'm not sure it's their fault as the arm was in the sealed bag along with the rest of the case candy....

13. benjammin420

benjammin420 TDPRI Member

just bought this one last week, nothing too fancy, but so far I'm really liking it

[​IMG]

PixMix and BorderRadio like this.
  14. Jimclarke100

Gotta say I can't fault Andertons... Contacted them yesterday morning, within half an hour got a mail back saying they had located a correct arm, and it would be with me in a couple of days. Get home from work today and there is the new trem arm waiting; a day earlier than they suggested...

adamfarmer likes this.
  15. archiestone

archiestone TDPRI Member

My '16 Lacguer JM has a push in arm that does not pop-in or lock. I took the advice of a member of another forum and coated the end inch with a small amount of chapstick. That seems to keep it in place nicely and it doesn't fall out. As a whole the guitar feels very much like "MIM Custom Shop" -- if there was such a thing.

16. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

Nice Jazzmaster! I bet that thing has some firepower with those WRHB and Mastery bridge, eh?

chippertheripper likes this.
  17. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

Nice guitar! What do those WRHBs sound like in a JM? Are they Novacs?

18. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, Novaks. They retain the heat that I wanted (vs the JMascis p90-esque pups that were in there), but round out some of the highs that make the jm "shrill". It's the perfect solution for what I need: nice and clear, but not too ice picky. I'm a fan of everything but the price.

19. Jimclarke100

Just changed out the bridge and trem in mine.

For the first couple of months, the bridge was fine then things started going awry. I never had problems of strings popping out of position, but the saddle screws just kept moving about, even with a drop of nail varnish.

So deep breath and went for the Staytrem bridge, and whilst I was at it also swapped to their tremolo.

The bridge is great - about 15 mins to fit and dial in and so for has held tuning perfectly. How does it compare with other fixes - can't say, but for me it definitely does the job and fixes bridge woes.

The immediate difference though was the tremolo - where the old one would sit fine for a while after a little use it would work loose and if you didn't push it back eventually fall out. And even when pushed in, it would rattle in the post hole and there was a certain amount of slack on the take up. The Staytrem arm solves all that in one go. The trem now is precise, solid and the arm stays where it's put. A huge improvement, and definitely worth the cash

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    adamfarmer and Hammerdog like this.
  20. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

IMG_0800.JPG

IMG_0791.JPG

Just finished this Baritone Jazzmaster on Tuesday.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.