Jazzmaster owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Volk, Dec 8, 2011.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

2. Chabenda

Chabenda TDPRI Member

[​IMG]

This is my '61 that I bought in Harare, Zimbabwe in the late '80s. It had been in 'the Ghetto' for years. The slab fret board had great deep grooves worn in it, it had a wooden, acoustic guitar bridge and shrunken, cracked pick guard. I have shaved the fret board down to get rid of most of the grooves, replaced the pick guard, bridge, tuners, decal and one pick up. Still need a bridge pick up. Bit by bit! She's one of my projects that occupy my time (and finances). She'll never oust my '68 Telecaster or '72 Strat as top dog in my affections but she's still in a solid third place.

3. guitarsammy

guitarsammy Tele-Meister

2012 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster, originally looked like this:

[​IMG]

Now modified (Fender mint green pickguard, aged pickup covers and headstock resprayed with new decal) to look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lauke

lauke Tele-Meister

Very, very nice! I love matching headstocks and the old Fender custom colours :)

5. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's a gorgeous guitar, but you should omit the image of the headstock and the reference to modifying the decal. It's a violation of Fender intellectual property.

howardlo likes this.
  6. Rusty Rivers

Rusty Rivers Tele-Meister

7. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

Nice! Where do you get the pickguard? Was it drop in?

8. Rusty Rivers

Rusty Rivers Tele-Meister

Bump for info, I'd like to know too...

9. OnlyVees

OnlyVees Tele-Meister

Here's a few pics of my lowly VM Jazzy...

My local luthier did some work on the bridge- now it actually intonates and doesn't buzz anymore. Nut was also lowered... Otherwise 100% stock. The rest looks like every other VM JM on the Internet. :rolleyes:

Thinking about some 500k pots and a Mastery bridge eventually. Would like a gold anodized pickguard too...

Some really nice guitars on this thread. :oops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tape

tape Tele-Meister

I hated the stock bridge on mine. The low E keep coming out of the saddle thread even with pretty light playing. Put on a Mastery bridge and it's so fantastic. Much better tuning stability when using the trem and I think it brought out the "chime" quality of a JM much better than the stock.

500k pots are a great idea. These 1M pots are soooooo bright. I end up using the rhythm circuit a lot of the time because its not so bright. If I'm not using the rhythm circuit, I usually have the tone knob around 2-3 because any higher is difficult to work with.

I'm thinking about pickguard replacements... torn between tort and gold anodized. I've seen examples of both on CAR (the color I got) and they both look pretty cool.

11. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

My first real guitar was a second hand '62 Fender Jazzmaster in Fiesta Red way back in the early '70s (long gone now), and I still remember how great it was just to look at! I am considering selling up a lot of gear just to try and get another Fiesta Red JM after all these years.

12. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

picked up an olympic white Squier VM JM last week. I just couldn't deal with the wobbly bridge and I put in a roller tunematic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. lauke

lauke Tele-Meister

Congrats on the new guitar, I have one in Oly white too :)

Was that bridge a drop in replacement? Not that I plan on replacing mine, I have no trouble with it even though the guitar is only strung with 10's. A drop of red loctite on the bridge posts to keep it from slowly lowering itself was all it needed.

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Nice clip Rusty! I too would like to know about the roller tune-o-matic and how hard it is to install ^^Mr. Clubber? Do tell!!

15. vintage clubber

I had to make the bushing holes a little bigger and ream out the holes in the pickguard. Once I got the pickguard back on, it looks like it came out of the factory like that.

16. vintage clubber

I get them from here:

http://www.azguitarparts.com

It wasn't difficult to install. The bushing holes have to be made a little bigger. I also put teflon tape around the post threads on the new unit so they wouldn't have any play in them.

17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

^^^ How did you make the bushing holes bigger?

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Classic Player's Jazzmaster in black. No need to post photos-- looks just like the pictures at Fender. I bought it used after hearing great things about JM's, and I absolutely love it. The only mod I did was to install a treble bleed circuit.

Some folks don't like the stock pickups, but I really like them. For me, I think the mods Fender did such as a tune-o-matic bridge, moving the vibrato system closer to the bridge for more down force, flatter fingerboard radius, and slightly hotter pickups really work to make it a "player's guitar" right out of the box.

I LOVE the vibrato system-- I can't believe the tuning stability I have-- I use the vibrato like crazy, and bend strings as much as a step and a half with my fingers, and I hardly ever have to tune the guitar at all. I'm not talking about staying in tune between songs, I mean for days on end, and I am a stickler for being exactly in tune. Incredible. (I use D'Addario XL 10s, nothing special).

All I do is make sure to have a little lube on the nut and bridge saddles, and it is so much more stable than anything but maybe a Floyd Rose with a locking nut. (But I hate the complexity and tone-robbing characteristics of Floyd Rose systems-- I can't stand them.) Anyone thinking of putting a Bigsby on a guitar should really look into this vibrato system as a cool alternative, although much more complex to install as an afterthought, that's for sure.

I also LOVE the tones I get out of it, all positions. Incredible versatility. It is now my number 1 guitar and everything else is gathering dust. The only quibble I have with it is that the vibrato system design seems to rob a little sustain as compared to a hard tail or a Strat style vibrato. That being said, it is still my number 1.

19. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

It broke my heart to sell my '62, I'd had it since 1976 and it was my first 'good' guitar. I was going through some tough financial times and sold it to a guy who swore up & down that it was going to a good home. He said he'd had one when he was younger, but sold it to pay college debts. A few weeks later, bits & pieces started showing up on that online auction site. He made a very tidy profit on it. :neutral:

Anyhow, I've got a modest income now and spotted a Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster on craigslist that had already been tweaked and properly set up by a very knowledgeable owner, so I bought it.

[​IMG]

20. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

It's a looker!

Here's my Squier JMJM, which I dearly love. I will eventually buy a classic player so I can have true jazzmaster pickup sounds too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2013
    benjammin420 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.