Jazzmaster owners club

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
For the last few months I’ve had a Boss GP-10 and a couple of my guitars have been equipped with GK-3 hex pickups to get the full use of it (alternate tunings, 12-string, steel- and nylon-string acoustic modelling, piano(ish) and organ sounds, synth sounds either pleasant, unpleasant or entertaining). One of my favourite guitars for this is the Jazzmaster because (a) the trem gives nice options and (b) I like the cognitive disconnect of a super trad Jazzmaster with a synth interface.
Initially the controller was just clamped on and the pickup fixed with double-sided tape but I now have a robust but fully reversible installation: a custom aluminium scratchplate.
DE7AB90E-089A-493C-854C-ADDE0C9A7734.jpeg
FE3FC3B3-381B-449D-BC53-9269592C5613.jpeg

The scratchplate is dark bronze anodised aluminium from Tiny Tone, who did a great job. And as a bonus they etched my band logo on it for a moderate fee.

Last edited:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
For the last few months I’ve had a Boss GP-10 and a couple of my guitars have been equipped with GK-3 hex pickups to get the full use of it (alternate tunings, 12-string, steel- and nylon-string acoustic modelling, piano(ish) and organ sounds, synth sounds either pleasant, unpleasant or entertaining). One of my favourite guitars for this is the Jazzmaster because (a) the trem gives nice options and (b) I like the cognitive disconnect of a super trad Jazzmaster with a synth interface.
Initially the controller was just clamped on and the pickup fixed with double-sided tape but I now have a robust but fully reversible installation: a custom aluminium scratchplate.
View attachment 1019430 View attachment 1019431
The scratchplate is dark bronze anodised aluminium from Tiny Tone, who did a great job. And as a bonus they etched my band logo on it for a moderate fee.
Here’s the scratchplate by itself showing the GK-3 mounting extension:
F5CD6A6E-E3FC-467B-B736-96CF23302B45.jpeg

Apart from the look and feel of the aluminium scratchplate I wanted to use aluminium so that the unsupported bit of scratchplate holding the GK-3 controller doesn’t flap about.

Ted Keane

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
Here's my brand new '62 AVRI in Ocean Turquoise. Three of the bridge saddle height adjustment screws were missing! Is that a genuine vintage Fender experience or what?

The best part is the Ocean Turquoise changes colour with the light.
Beautiful color

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's

I thought I'd post this just to alert anyone interested in the American Vintage II 1966 Jazzmaster. I've watched enough of Michael Adams' YT channel to take what he says seriously. I think he knows his stuff. It seems advisable for anyone who's thinking of buying at least to play and inspect the one you're going to take home.

I've glad I got my AO.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I have never played a Jazzmaster,so don't know what a true Jazzmaster sound is, but I got this American Pro
last week and like it....a lot.
The Tele has gone on the back burner.

View attachment 1053055
Well, my first impression of a Jazzmaster sound is, it’s maybe more like a Strat(*) than a Tele but so much better than a Strat.
If you have the 1M pots you probably need to keep the tone rolled back, as there is more treble than is usually necessary, but there’s more mid-range heft to the tone than a Strat has.

* Edited to clarify - a Strat with only 2 pickups, that is!

Last edited:

trackerdan

Tele-Meister
What bridge configuration works best on a Jazzmaster? Thanks in advance. Here's a picture of mine.

Attachments

• Jazzmaster1.1.jpg
    Jazzmaster1.1.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
What bridge configuration works best on a Jazzmaster? Thanks in advance.
The original bridge works perfectly well if you have a decent neck angle and play 10s or heavier, IME.
The only change I made from the AO standard bridge was I changed to a Mustang-style bridge (but with 9.5” radius to match the AO fingerboard). I didn’t do that for the deep single string grooves but because its fixed saddles don’t need height adjustment. However I might switch back… because I’d like a little more flexibility on the height adjustment! This time though I will put some threadlok or nail varnish on the screws so they don’t wander downwards over time (which I found the B-string was prone to).

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
What bridge configuration works best on a Jazzmaster? Thanks in advance.
Yes, what AAT65 said. I've had no problems with my AO standard bridge and using 11s, with no need yet for Loctite. I've used a Staytrem very happily on a Squier VM and bought another when I got my AO, but haven't used it. Correct set up is quite important.

Have a browse through this thread - you'll find loads more opinions and information on bridges and general set up. Look for articles by Michael J Adams and his YouTube ( as "puisheen").

PS. Probably someone will mention Mastery bridges. I find them a bit of an eyesore and out of place on the rather svelte JM and for another mega expensive alternative to standard I'd rather have a Descendant

Last edited: