1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazzmaster owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Volk, Dec 8, 2011.

1. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I just bought one off CL. It's a 2017 American Professional Exclusive from Chicago Music Exchange. Somehow the previous owner had broken the threaded trem arm off in the socket (collett?). He had bought a StayTrem arm/collet but hadn't installed it. Easy install. Arm now snaps in with a satisfying thud. No threads. I really like it. Now I understand why JMs get the accolades for the tremolo. They stay in tune wonderfully, and the mechanism itself (at least the StayTrem version) is noiseless and solid feeling. Thought I'd pass this along, in case it helps anyone. I think the previous owner was just irked with the guitar because of his trouble with the original trem. I got a good deal.

TheletterJ and BorderRadio like this.
  2. loudwizard

loudwizard TDPRI Member

Count me in! Here are mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I like how you used the "chickenhead" knobs. Somehow they look great on a JM, and they're also super functional and practical in a dark room.

4. a_pidgeon

a_pidgeon Tele-Meister

1522530627546.jpg

Just got mine today. 2016 MIJ JM66. I know, I know, it's backwards, but it still counts right?

5. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

I have found they work well for volume swells. Something to hang on to, and like you said, you always know where you are.

6. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

I'm in today. Squier VM JM Olympic White. After 40 years of Teles and Strats, it's very different and I'm enjoying getting to grips with the foibles.

20180425_132839.jpg

savofenno likes this.
  7. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Seriously thinking about joining this club in July.

8. WingedWords

Funny, through lots of web reading, I'd got into the mindset that a Squier VM would be virtually unplayable out of the box. Apart from a set of dead and even slightly rusty 9-42ish strings (which I would have changed for my default starting point 11-49s on any electric guitar) my new acquisition is perfectly playable. The fret work has no problems, the trem is OK, the bridge works and it sounds really good and very different from what I'm used to. Anything I change (and I shall) will be because I want to not because I have to.
    I'd also picked up the idea that JMs can be heavy. This one is 7lb14oz. Pretty much average for my Strats and Teles.
    I do find it a slightly odd, slippery shape played sitting down. But putting the strap on sorted that.

horax likes this.
  9. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

I’ve done a lot of horse trading from February of last year to this year. I recently got this in exchange for an old Kramer I wasn’t playing. It’s a stock Fender HS Blacktop Jazzmaster:
    IMG_3825.JPG
    I’m planning a schedule of mods: I’ve got an old Jazzmaster pickup and a Strat-style tone and volume knob that were given to me in a shoe box (along with a bunch of other pickups, cheap Japanese vibrato bars and other odds and ends.)
    I’ve also got an old DiMarzio K-10 humbucker (out of a Lotus LP copy my friend had in the ‘80s) and a wiring harness designed for a hum/sing combo. I had both in my Tele about two years ago before I reverted to its Esquire configuration which I prefer for that guitar. Obviously, I’ll use a Gibson style toggle, not the Tele knife-switch.
    The result will be this in the short term:
    Image1524761717.483310.jpg
    When I get the money, I want to get a tortoise shell ‘guard, but that’s just aesthetics.

BorderRadio and savofenno like this.
  10. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Sold my VMJM for this lovely Wildwood thin skin AV65. It’s an absolute dream to play.

[​IMG]

11. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

4478EA0E-7372-4F07-985D-29BA4A42A540.jpeg B11619E0-9544-4E71-97C9-B1BA79E39EF6.jpeg 5B69499B-6EA9-4171-B8EE-389F0DDBA160.jpeg The Sun is out so unapologetic gratuitous pics of my 61 JM

12. Minimalist518

FilthyFur74 likes this.
  13. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

You’re very welcome! It’s a PITA getting a good shot of dem sparkles ;)

Minimalist518 likes this.
  14. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Wow.

Nuff said

FilthyFur74 likes this.
  15. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

FilthyFur74 likes this.
  16. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Hi everyone, I qualified to join the Jazzmaster Owner’s Club this week: first-time JM owner, could not think of a reason not to buy this American Original 60s Jazzmaster in Ocean Turquoise:
    D68DE666-5707-4845-963F-2F61EE103C8D.jpeg

Here’s the NGD thread I posted before I found my way to this very fine Club: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-—-american-original-jazzmaster.831586/

And here’s a bonus picture of the Jazzy wearing her bridge cover. Now removed again and will spend the rest of its lifetime in the case... no earthly use to it I could see! Leo just lived shiny covers, didn’t he??
    516E71F1-928C-43BF-8AA4-98FA19DBBF0A.jpeg

17. Minimalist518

Last month I posted my new Blacktop JM. The first set of mods are done!
    The bridge was pretty corroded, so I replaced it with a new Mustang bridge. So far no saddle-hopping at all and no buzz that I’ve noticed.
    All the electronics have been gutted and replaced (by surer hands than mine.) My old DiMarzio K-10 was dead, so I went with a Super Distortion instead. The pickup I was dubious about was the vintage Fender, but the old JM pickup works beautifully, none the worse for decades of rattling around in a shoebox!
    Both pickups sound fantastic alone or combined. I’m finding the tone and volume controls give me a tremendous amount of sounds to work with. IMG_3884.JPG IMG_3888.JPG IMG_3890.JPG

savofenno, brookdalebill and AAT65 like this.
  18. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

IMG_1568.JPG
    1965 CAR all original terrific tone machine

19. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

What a beauty! How long have you had that?
    (1965 is a good vintage, as far as I’m concerned btw..!)

20. WingedWords

I've had my VMJM for 4 months now and really enjoy it. Staytrem bridge is the only mod so far, but I'm about to do a lot of changes with the help of James' Home of Tone.

One thought has always occurred to me when I'm playing it. With my Strat or (my favourite of course) Tele, there are lots of role model sounds that are in the back of my mind. I love the sound of Clapton on a Strat or Buchanan on a Tele for example. But having come very late to the JM, I have no particular favourite JM players so no preconceptions about how it "should" sound. I find it liberating. Others may find it a disadvantage. I'd welcome any suggestions of players to listen to that have shaped your preconceptions of how a JM "should" sound.

Cliffyg62 and AAT65 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.