Jazzmaster, Jaguar or Mustang for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Emilinconfussion, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Emilinconfussion

Emilinconfussion TDPRI Member

Hey guys! so i've been surfing around on youtube for about a month, and i think both the JM, jaguar and mustang sound awesome!

1st question: Are any of these guitars good as a first guitar, for a beginner?

2nd question: Which one of these three would be the most ideal guitar to start with?

Thanks guyssss!!

2. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

they're all great. The mustang and the jaguar have shorter scale lengths which means the strings won't be as tight, so they will be more comfortable for less experienced fingers. The jazzmaster and the jaguar tend to be somewhat finicky as far as set up and tuning, so the mustang might be the way to go. However, if you're going the mustang route, check out the duo-sonic killer guitar. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Dan R likes this.
  3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The Mustang was my first electric in '65. If money is tight a Squier Mustang can be had new for $299. A Squier Jag or Jazz are $100 more, and the Mexican Mustang or Duo-Sonic are $499.

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I think a Jazzmaster might be a tough guitar for a beginner - as someone above mentioned the longer scale means strings feel tighter and could be somewhat frustrating if you haven't developed the finger strength yet.

Dan R likes this.
  5. Emilinconfussion

what's the difference between the Mustang and the Duo-Sonic

Dan R likes this.
  6. YALCaster

YALCaster Tele-Meister

The mustang has a tremolo, and the sonic doesn't. The new mexi mustangs don't have a tremolo though, so they're pretty much a duo sonic

Dan R likes this.
  7. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer the non tremolo type of Mustang, the Duo Sonic. The tremolo is not very good on the Mustang, IMO. I had a '66 Mustang in Daphne Blue for several years. They are fun to play. As I have said though, a Mustang is a cool guitar, a Telecaster is cooler. My pick of the 3 would be the Mustang.

The Mustang has a unique switching system. For each pickup there are slide switches with 3 positions. Forward is in phase, middle is Off, back is out of phase. So you can play either pickup or both together in or out of phase.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I'd suggest the new MIM Fender Offset Mustang or Duo-Sonic would be excellent beginner guitars (although there will be cheaper options!).
    Short 24" scale is easy on the hands, fixed bridge (no trem to mess with), simple switching -- well-made and good-sounding guitars.

Dan R likes this.
  9. Emilinconfussion

so what's the difference between the Duo Sonic and the Duo Sonic HS ?

10. Emilinconfussion

what is a tremolo? yeah, sorry but i've never really played guitar, just got into it :3

Big tuna likes this.
  11. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Duo Sonic has two single-coil pickups - the HS has a Humbucker at the bridge and a Singlecoil at the neck (do you see why they did there?;)). The tone control has a push-pull switch to split the humbucker to an approximation of the single-coil sound but really the raw edge of the humbucker is what makes this guitar imho.

12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Tremolo, vibrato, wang bar, wiggle stick... does cool stuff, might put your guitar out of tune, makes broken strings and string changes more of a PITA.

13. Emilinconfussion

would you buy the regular or the HS ?

14. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

I'd buy the HS. It's not like the original, but I think I'd find it more useful.

15. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I'd try to go to some place like Guitar Center where there is a large stock and find a few to play and see what you like. If you're not good enough or don't really play yet maybe bring a friend who plays to try them out for you.

AAT65 likes this.
  16. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I'd vote HS too. It's a very nice guitar and a bit more flexible than the regular DuoSonic.

17. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

The Jazzmaster is really comfortable, but it is a big guitar - or feels big strapped on.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Mustang......short scale.......easy to play. That's the one.

[​IMG]

I bought this about one year ago and I love it. I would recommend this for any beginner. I've played since dinosaurs roamed the earth and it makes me feel like a kid when I play it. Fun little guitar. Sounds great.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  19. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

I'd probably recommend that new Mustang for a beginner.

I think the size and shape of Mustang and Duosonics would be great to learn on. The only thing that was holding me back is that Mustang trems are kinda weird feeling. I love them and think they work great but they can feel kind of unnatural.

THEN I remembered the new ones have a strat style trem. That's a much better option for someone learning

20. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I really passionately believe a first guitar shouldn't have a tremolo on it, but after that it is a question of taste. I didn't get on with jm pickups but they have a nice neck. I didn't get on with Jaguar saddles and put a mustang bridge on to remedy it, but the break angle still wasn't harsh enough to stop strings slipping out of the grooves

I said this a thousand times but 25 years of guitar buying later I find the music I prefer was played on telecasters and p90 les pauls, and these are the best guitars for me. Perhaps work backwards from that, instead of buying with your eyes like I did?

I don't think any of those guitars are bad but they might not suit what you want

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.