1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazzlemacaster body on the way

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by TigerG, Sep 2, 2016.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Internet forum hazard -- hard to read tone/intent with a few words of text. I too read your original post as trying to be snarky as all the pics the OP posted were of left handed guitars. I am not sure what contours you saw threw you off, but realize it must get tiring for lefties to read "Oh no, someone really screwed up making that guitar" type posts every time they post a pic of their guitar.

2. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Love the large Jazz'caster' body and its configuration potentials.
    If people think they are heavy, keep in mind it is a larger body size.

3. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I saw your question and I thought it was pretty reasonable... As I was reading the thread, I had the aha moment and thought, ah... the op must be a lefty.

I'm not sure that it matters but I'm left handed and I'm right handed. Mostly left but I play right handed because I didn't know I could get a lefty guitar when I was a kid.

4. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

To add a bit to the lefty-righty confusion around this thing, I've enhanced the bridge pickup route so that it will accommodate a pickup set at the righty angle.
    OK, so it's not just to add to the confusion: the Hipshot Trilogy I'll be mounting on this body is right-handed, for two reasons: 1. past experience has shown it takes months to get a left handed one made, and 2. the "reverse" angle makes more sense to me, since it lends clarity to the low strings and makes the high strings not quite so trebly, ie, the tone is more balanced across the strings

[​IMG]

boris bubbanov and Lefty Addams like this.
  5. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

I've decided to go two-tone on the Jazzlemacaster, keeping the top white as planned, but a red stain (Minwax Sedona Red to be specific) on the back and sides. Debating whether to have some of the red peeking in around the edges of the top. The final decision on that may come down to how challenging the masking is.
    Got the stain on this morning, then this evening did some further prep to be ready to spray, which hopefully I can start tomorrow. I wish I had been this far along a week ago. I'll need to spray outside and the weather here has been perfectly lovely, and perfect for spraying, for several days. Here's hoping it holds for a few more days, otherwise I fear the possibility of this whole project going on hold for a few months (and I already took apart the Baritele--I'd hate to be without a baritone that long, but don't want to reassemble it temporarily either).
    The white will be Duplicolor Arctic/Polar White, following some Duplicolor primer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Well dang, just as I get 'er all masked and ready to spray, the rain moved in. So here she waits on the bench for the better weather that's forecast the next few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Had just enough time after work this afternoon to start getting some primer in place, and the weather was cooperative enough with the temp hovering at the very low end of the acceptable range for spraying and the humidity falling below 50%. Here's how she's looking after the first 3-pass coat of of primer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Dang, spraying a last round of primer to finish off the can and gnat landed on it and got stuck there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  9. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Has happened to me on clear coats. I think you'll have to leave it to dry and then level it off once the coat has dried.

10. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Was out at a gig for several hours, by the time I got back the gnat had fallen off or disintegrated or otherwise disappeared without a trace in the primer or elsewhere.
    Forecasts are showing good weather the next few days, so this thing could start turning white tomorrow.

awasson likes this.
  11. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Looking good Tiger, looking forward to seeing this all finished mate

12. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

The GnatCaster!!!

TigerG likes this.
  13. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I think you should write a song about this gnat.

To make it easier, just take an existing song and change the lyrics.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Gnat Scratch Fever is just one idea, and I'm sure you'll figure out some other great possibilities.

TigerG likes this.
  15. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Maybe something from Nat King Cole's repertoire

Ira7 likes this.
  16. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

8 ounces of Polar/Arctic white later, with a bit of exaggerated brightness added by the flash.

[​IMG]

17. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Finished spraying the color earlier this evening

[​IMG]

18. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

It's going the wrong way!!! (I probably make that joke too often... sigh....)

19. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

You mean looking more gray again after being all bright white a couple days ago? ;-)

20. Joe Gagan

Joe Gagan Tele-Meister

wow, great project, i like what you are doing there, i feel like i've known you all my life.

the color scheme is intriguing. looking forward to the progress.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.