Jazz Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Dxhall, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Dxhall

Dxhall TDPRI Member

I was wasting time on Reverb today reading the ads for the Parallel Universe Jazz Teles. The idea seems cool to me, and I like the way they look. Reading reviews, though, I don’t see much love. Some of the Reverb guitars have been listed for months. What’s the reason? I can see myself with the surf green one.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I’m thinking the reason they sit a while is most people are traditionalist, they either want a jazzmaster or they want a tele . Then when you look at the price point when they came out and people expect a nitro finish for that price , I myself think they are cool but like everyone else once I saved up I figured for a couple more dollars I could have a vintage style nitro finished model,
    I wouldn’t let the fact that they are not popular stop you from getting one if you want it they’re perfectly fine instruments and I could see owning one someday

3. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

I like 'em. I think if you are into tele's you will dig them. But those coming from a Jazzmaster think there a bit odd.

I haven't got to play one yet. But one of my favorite guitars is a Pure Salem Woodsoul - I just wish it had a bigsby or vibrato.

Cheers

4. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Anyone here own a JazzTele?

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I love the look of them. I also like the Gretsch looking Tele, and the Jag Strat. All out of my league as funds go though.

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Parallel Universe were nitro finished - the same style as the American Originals and the 1982-mid-2012 AVRIs (i.e. nitro with a poly base coat).

One other thing is that some stores did not discount the Parallel Universe like they do other Fender models because they were "limited editions" - the ones sitting around could well be from those stores who are trying to get full price for these.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I tried to find my Jazz Tele a couple years ago to no avail. I questioned builders if they would build me a thick hollow body tele etc. I could have probably got it done for a ton of money but opted out. Nope. I wanted something like this.
    [​IMG]
    I ended up going cheap, bought this carved top archtop tele, but it's not really thicker than a std Tele except the arch.
    [​IMG]

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Probably not what you have in mind, but these are my two that I use for jazz. But they don't have jazz master pickups or trem.

The first is one I built from a Tone Bomb clear pine body and a Allparts TRO-V neck. Finished in Tru-Oil...30 coats and 15 coats respectively. The TV Jones T-90 delivers a very close approximation of a P-90 to my ears; warm and woody and perfect for jazz.

Jazzbo new pup 1.jpg Jazzbo new pup 3.jpg Jazzbo w:TV Jones.jpg Jazzbo w:TV Jones 2.jpg

The second is a tele I bought off Craigslist and modified. It now has Cavalier pickups (Fat Lion and Fat Lion King) with a 4-way switch. The TRO-FAT neck is nice, but a little to substantial for me, so thinking of changing more of a 60s neck profile and radius (I was really surprised how much I liked the 7.25" radius and vintage frets on the TRO-V above) when I start working again.

2019 with updates - front.jpg 2019 with updates - back.jpg

Again, probably not what you're thinking of when you say jazz tele, but this is what I use. I've actually never played jazz master pickups. Not even sure if I'd like them or not.

Rich724, Random1643 and BigDaddyLH like this.
  9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Wow! Nice! Bet it sounds sweet with those P90s!

10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Not bad, different sound. I replaced the stock P90's with Genuine Gibson. Turns out the stock ones were pretty darn similar though!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

The tremolo system on the Jazz Tele looks too close to the end of the guitar to me. Fender could move it up a little like they do on the Classic Player Jazzmasters that a lot of JM purists dislike.

12. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Not really a jazz player (I wish) but when I need something a bit on the smokey side, this'll do it well enough for me.
    20160809_094514.jpg

Random1643 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.