Jazz Tele Amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Graham Peterson, Jul 24, 2016.

1. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer tweed tones myself, but I'm more into swing and jump then straight ahead jazz.

2. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Depends on the other instrumentation. Fenders can get lost in the mix if horns or keys are crowding the midrange spectrum. For a trio, the Fender BF tone works fine. I'll use an Ampeg Jet, a Yamaha G100-112 or Acoustic Image Clarus through a Bag End 1x12. For the Fender sound, my Roland Bolt 60 does it well.

3. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

DV Mark Little Jazz or Jazz 12. They sound awesome and are 15 and 19lbs, respectively.

AndrewG likes this.
  4. Headshot

Headshot Tele-Meister

I primarily use a Fender Rumble v3 100 watt bass amp for my jazz gigs. I use a Tele, Strat, Wildkat and a Dot...all sound really good through this amp. I have a Holy Grail in the Effects Loop, and to me, jazz heaven. But at times I do use a MIA Peavey Transtube Studio Pro 112 or a buddy's Marshall 40 watt tube amp.

5. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

I've had good luck playing jazz gigs with my Peavey Classic 30, both with a Tele and a couple of archtops. The EL84s give a great sustain and midrange jazz tone. I've also recently gotten a brown 63 Vibroverb reissue, which I love for other stuff, but I haven't played any jazz gigs with it. I'm looking forward to it, though. CS

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

The OP did ask for us TDPRI members to talk about what amps we use. Well, if I may be so bold as to speak for Jim Campilongo (he is a member here), he gets a pretty fair approximation of jazz tones (maybe a slight understatement here ;)) using his '59 tele through a Princeton Reverb. Speaking for myself, I'm no jazz guitarist, but when I play what I hope passes for jazz, I have been happy with the results when using one of my vox Pathfinder 15Rs, or my Peavey Bandit 65.

7. Willy-son

Willy-son TDPRI Member

I play mostly jazz on my Tele through a Deluxe Reverb. I have a Seymour Duncan Jazz SH-2n Humbucker in the neck position. On the amp I set treble at 6, Mid at 8 and Bass at 5. Reverb is set at about 3, depending on the room. Sounds amazing. A Twin Reverb will work also well.

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Most amps that can do a clean sound work well for a classic jazz tone. It's not a fussy thing.

9. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

I was researching this a couple months ago for a friend who plays a lot of jazz and wanted a new amp -- I was pretty impressed to see all the jazz guys who used Fender Twin Reverbs. Did someone say clean?

Larry Carlton used a Deluxe of course with Steely Dan if you want that jazz tone!

And Fender in general? Check out this reader poll from Jazz Guitar.

BTW my friend got a LilDawg Wonderdawg (sort of a PR/DR/SR hybrid?) and loves it.

Shango66 likes this.
  10. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

When I used to go hear Kenny Burrell at the Lighthouse and the White House (SoCal), he was playing a D'Angelico with a DeArmond pick-up... one of them, a pick-up I sold him. His guitar was stuffed with batting and he had tape over the F-holes (black tape or contact paper shaped like an F-hole).
    On several occasions, he told me his favorite amp was a Blackface Twin Reverb that was a house amp at the Lighthouse.
    He played very loud live.

Shango66 likes this.
  11. AxeVictimAZ

AxeVictimAZ Tele-Holic

Interesting. How do you do this when a Deluxe Reverb has no mid?

12. AxeVictimAZ

AxeVictimAZ Tele-Holic

Really nice! Beautiful playing, excellent chording and harmonic concept. Really enjoyed this!

13. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

I
    A common mod on a Deluxe Reverb is to add a mid knob and pot- usually on the back of the amp, as the front panel is pretty full.

14. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Butt post. Sorry!

As you were..

15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You bet they do and Kenny Burrel is one of them :D

(even though the house amp at Rudy Van Gelder's studio was a tweed Deluxe and MB was recorded there so he probably used it for the album)

https://www.vintageguitar.com/18443/kenny-burrell-4/

I prefer a Fender Twin for the most part. I was one of the first to use a Twin; I got one in Detroit and liked the extra bite. I like a fat, warm sound, so I set the Treble lower, the Bass medium, and pump up the Middle.

16. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Can't agree here. Jazz guitar has been played and recorded on Fender ams for decades. Tele Jazzers like Jim Campilongo prefer Fender Princeton, any clean Fender will do the trick.

Henry Mars likes this.
  17. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Tele-Afflicted

Setting Mid response with a Blackface type amp with no Mid control?

That's easy. Set Treble and Bass to zero (actually, position 1).

Now, gradually increase the Bass and you will notice that up to about 5, the Bass control adds Mids more than bass. From about 4 on it acts as Bass control.

Then, you can add Treble ad lib. Works fine for Princetons, Pros, Deluxes, and Vibroluxes.

Esos and King Fan like this.
  18. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Burrell rapidly became my favourite player but I only really discovered him through the back door, so to speak-Stevie Ray Vaughn covered 'Chitlins con carne' on one of his records and that inspired me to check him out. I now have many KB records and am extremely jealous that you saw him play!
    As far as 'jazz amps' are concerned I found that both my Bandit and Envoy can get nice, warm cleans when I'm feebly attempting some jazz changes.'One night with Blue Note' is a decent DVD with KB playing a Super 400.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  19. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

Fender DRRI, used to own a henriksen jazzamp 112, and used a roland Cube. A lot of toronto jazz guys use old BF Princetons.

The key with the BF amps is to get a good speaker for the sound and drop treble/bass lower than normal (which increases mid-range in a way).

darkwaters likes this.
  20. Archtop Bill

Archtop Bill Tele-Meister

I really enjoy using the vintage channel on my SuperSonic 22. Based on the Deluxe, it has no mid control, but I manage to dial in some smokey jazzy tones with it and my Tele with N3 pups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.