Jazz pickup for teles.

OlDefGuy

Tele-Meister
I agree woth the above that stock neck pic kups work. However I relly like the stock Wide range Humbucker on my 78 custom. I dont like the newer
Nice! I can’t afford the real deal, so I had a rewind done on the neck of one of my customs and Lollar’s in the other. Not the same as CuNiFe pu’s but as close as I could get at the time.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
Another great option, love mine!

View attachment 1014180

Me to. Fender used them for the stock pickups on the Special Edition Lite Ash and Koa models.
1659894146351.png

BelairPlayer

Tele-Afflicted
The classic Tele neck pickup - or most ANY pickup, neck OR bridge - can be "jazz friendly" ... lots depends on one's perception of "jazz" and one's chops.
I’m with Rob here. I absolutely love the bog standard neck pickup on my Tele with the tone rolled back just so. It’s an early run Squier CVC. Those pickups are the bees knees.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Jim Campilongo, Duke Levine, and Ed Bickert use standard tele pickups. And sound fantastic.

+1 for this. A little judicious volume and tone spinning and the straight up Tele neck pickup works great. I’ve seen a whole bunch of nyc gigging Jazz players make that work over the years. Especially at outdoor gigs.

I agree with @Tommy Biggs and @Rob DiStefano that many of the "regular" Tele neck pickups work wonderfully as well as middle position with the tone rolled off a bit. Varying pot taper can enhance for jazz tone also.

I like tele neck pickups for jazz sounds.
^^^Yep, the stock Tele neck pickup works great for jazz. The one in the pic is a '51 Nocaster, but I've had good results with many different standard Tele neck pickups

TeleBridgeAlign3.jpg

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
I like a neck PAF-type humbucker, but there is lots of "jazzy" tone in a regular Tele neck pickup when ya dial it in with your tone and volume controls

I'd think that jazzy tones out of the Tele neck must have been one of Leo's goals even though jazz guitarists were generally using much different guitars at the time

DisharmonicDark99

TDPRI Member
I'm not really a true Jazz player but I have a Tele that I've used for some sessions and gigs where I had to cop some of that kind of tone and feel for the occasion, and I have a SD Seth Lover in the neck position that works beautifully. Smooth yet lively. I've let other guys I know who are much better jazz players than I am play that guitar before and they seem to agree with my assessment of it.

ruger9

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I've had these for a few years now, and have yet to actually wire them up into anything
View attachment 1014606

NICE!!! I've always loved the looks of a CC in a tele, and I've wondered how those faux-staples sound compared to P90s....

I've got these for my Cabronita Thinline, but have yet to get them installed...

abc.jpg

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ok, finally home from work and I can share this. Pickups (for jazz and everything else)...I've tried so many!

Various pickups I've tried/tested/used for jazz:

Lollar El Rayo

More El Rayo

DiMarzio True Velvet

Cavalier Fat Lion Set

More Cavalier Fat Lions

Sunday Handwound Pickups (jazz demo begins @6:28)

TV Jones T-90

More TV Jones T-90

Creamery Charlie Christian

Bootstrap A3/Cavalier Fat Lion King combo (jazz demo begins @8:39)

Bootstrap Palo Duros (jazz demo begins @6:34)

More Palo Duros (jazz demo begins @11:17)

Bootstrap Custom Overwound A3 set (jazz demo begins @6:33)

Sorry for my (at times) awful playing and for so many renditions of "Misty"...some of them pretty painful in places. For a long time, it was the only jazz standard I felt I knew well enough to play on YouTube (long story). Good news: This is being remedied. I have more than a dozen new standards in various stages of learning/rehearsal/memorization, so some new stuff should be coming soon. Hope these vids are helpful for tonal purposes, at least.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I'm partial to the Gibbie Minihumbucker I have in the neck of my partscaster Tele. It gives the woody jazz tone without the mud of a full sized humbucker, plus a whole lot more. 20200611_170819.jpg

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
If you can't get a vintage jazz sound with your Fender/Squier single coil neck pickup on your Tele, no CC pickup or one from Seymour, Fralin or anyone else is going to help you. Jazz has been played since the 50s on Teles, and with stock neck pickups. It's why the Esquire will never be a thing for me.

The subject of Tele pickups for jazz, as well as similar subjects like jazz on a Strat have been discussed at great length over at the The Jazz Guitar Forum. There are little things you can do to make yourself sound a bit more like a particular guitarist, such as Johnny Smith, Charlie Christian or Grant Green, but absolutely no consensus on what precisely will get you there. It's a shame that so many think they need to sound like a guy who not only died more than 80 years ago, but who would doubtless have killed for modern amps and pickups and thought people crazy to want his primitive setup now. I love jazz, but no wonder it is dead. They have stopped innovating and just want to recreate what has already been created.

You can play this music on any guitar and make your own. That's ultimately my advice.