Jazz peoples: Your single favorite size and make of speaker?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by paulblackford, Apr 28, 2016.

1. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

If you were building a single speaker cabinet, for a traditional jazz tone. What size speaker would you go with? What brand, or, if you can get that specific, what speaker? It would probably be pushed by a solid state amp, of yet undetermined wattage. I'm just feeling this idea out, in a general sense. I'm trying to determine whether or not to go with a combo, or head and cab setup, etc.

2. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I like the sound from the Eminence Beta 10A that Henriksen used in their first issue Jazzamp.

3. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

I'd go with the head/cab arrangement for jazz. For archtop guitar my favorite speaker cabinets are a Raezer's Edge Stealth 10 or a Redstone RS-8v. Ear Candy also makes some good 8" cabs.

4. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

Might depend on the kind of Jazz you're playing and of course the kind of amp. In general I like a 12" better than a 10" but my Princeton and my Super Champ have 10" speakers. I put a Copperhead in the Princeton, I like it. I put a Lil' Buddy in the Super Champ because it's a brighter sounding amp, it warmed it up, now I can actually use the treble control. Comparing the 2 speakers with each amp, each in it's own amp cab with an A/B box, I'd say the Copperhead sounds better, not by much. Both are good, if I had to do it again I'd put the Copperhead in both.

Nick99 likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

classic: Polytone Mini Brute III with a 15" Eminence speaker.

blowtorch likes this.
  6. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I use G12H and Cannabis Rex for just about everything. I just like 'em. There are many good speakers for jazz though and every body has a different ear and amp. Because one speaker sounds good in one amp doesn't necessarily mean that it will sound good in another amp.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If I have to pick one speaker for any amp, it is an EV. Specifically for a BF/SF Fender circuit, a vintage Jensen C15N works. There are a lot of good speakers. There are a lot of ears. Whatever works for the player is what they should play. If no one wants to listen to it, the player will realize that in due time.

8. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I'd prefer to learn to adapt to what I have. I can control and manipulate me better than a speaker.

9. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

The 15 incher in the polytone is great. Amazing cleans with a tele neck pickup humbucker or single.

10. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

My choice would be the 12" Eminence Texas Heat, nice round tone.

11. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

Thanks, everyone for your insights. I am going to have to look into that Eminence Beta 10A that is in the Henrikson amp. Eminence doesn't even list it as an instrument speaker, but has it listed under "pro audio". It's also a 500 watt speaker. I wonder what Henrikson perceived as the value of going with that. I'm sure it keeps the low end from getting 'flubby'. Interesting. I also found it interesting that EV only seems to have 2 speaker offerings, for instruments, in total, and they are both 12". I was also under the false impression that Jazz would be dominated by 12", and 15" speakers, but it seems like a lot of cabinet builders, known for being oriented to jazz, are going with 10s, and a lot of 8s. I guess an 8 ain't what it used to be.

12. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Imho I'm not sure it matters beyond size. I read most of the posts here and the range of esoteric and name brands is quite wide.
    I just use what I 've been using for the last 20 years. I got a Celestion G12 80 out of a SS Crate combo in '94 and put it in an ext cab that I made out of late 60's Polytone amp.
    I've used it for every style of music I play including Jazz and Metal. I've never wished for a different speaker for any of it.
    I think you can make things bend to suit your needs.
    My 2 cts

13. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

I like the tones in this clip. Ramrod then Ragin -

THe Ramrod has so much character & shines with about anything

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.