"Jazz is dead"

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ndcaster, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

For Black History Month last year they had a 3 piece jazz combo come in at work and do a presentation. I'm not a big jazz fan and didn't know any of the songs they did but being able to sit up close and watch the interplay between the players made it all the more interesting and very enjoyable.

I suppose I could enjoy it if I watched such a presentation online, but I haven't sought it out.

I could definitely tell the musicians were having fun.

8barlouie likes this.
  2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It's demise was assured when people actually thought Kenny G was "jazz".
    It was always hard not to bust out laughing hysterically when hearing someone say "Oh, I love Jazz, particularly Kenny G."

Seriously, listening to Jimmy McGriff is about as close as I get to Jazz anymore.

3. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Jazz is just fine.

It's challenging to play - and is responsible for any and all of my music theory.

It's also fun to *really* interact with other musicians.

savofenno and mauer62 like this.
  4. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

I for one love jazz!

Rich724 and TMMC like this.
  5. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

My uninformed opinion is that it takes something of a trained ear and an open mind to appreciate
    a lot of the music that I own on CDs that would fall under the category of jazz. Otherwise, it's something like
    listening to jokes told in a language that you don't understand...

Stringbanger, 8barlouie and savofenno like this.
  6. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

data visualizations are almost always about supporting someone's research question, and in this case I think you are right-jazz listeners and fans are the sort of audience that actually own hi-fi playback systems and want something better than mp3 sources.

I know I'm far from mainstream but jazz is the only music I buy regularly, maybe something like 4:1 ratio Jazz to classical.

Henry likes this.
  7. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

In the western world, classic music and jazz should have backed up (financed, promoted etc) by government, on the national scale. Also, other art forms such as non-commercial movies, classic and modern theater plays etc. The same way that a country cares for phisical health of its citizens, the care for their mental health (education in, and presentation of art forms) have to be taken.

People would not ever never reach by themselves for something that is presented badly (low profile public existence) at them. It's not "we give them what they want", but "they want what we give to them". Only if all participants in the race, for example music genres, have equal treatment (same media time, same media attention, same public presentation, same presence in the education system), and for a long time, we can talk about what people want.

drlucky and telemnemonics like this.
  8. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

I do too. Not all of it, but I don't love all of any genre. Also, I love the Utah Jazz. That counts.

9. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

"Alexa, play Grant Green."

10. barker

barker Tele-Meister

Not in my head it isn't.

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Need to see trends over more time in all formats but I'd have thought a combination of an older, ever declining trad audience and those less inclined to update or consume their classic jazz collections on new technology. A lot of modern music is essentially throwaway and easily consumed on the fly where classical and jazz albums are perhaps more consciously listened to.

It may have evolved too.. there are plenty of jazzy, funky, Latin influenced bands I see out playing live that bridge to jazz without being a typical jazz outfit/lineup.

The problem might simply be hanging on to too tight a definition of 'jazz'. How can you separate classical from soundtrack these days too? I can see major orchestras do evenings of film and video game music now. It's maybe all blended more than the market analyst's table suggest.

Felino likes this.
  12. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

It didn't even list "folk" as a separate genre. :( I consider myself a folkie, not "country".

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Different genres for sure. Rock/metal, country/folk/bluegrass, rap/hip-hop/r&b, etc.

14. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The average listener can't get their head around jazz. It took me a while. I was lucky enough to have a roommate who loved jazz and was a big Coltrane fan. When he used to put on his records, (yes, the vinyl kind) it would sound so unorganized to me. Then he took the time to teach me how to listen to jazz. All of a sudden, a light went on. It was so much more enjoyable for me when i finally got it. How many people - especially in this age of instant gratification- could be bothered to learn to enjoy jazz even if they had someone who could be bothered to take the time to show them what it's about?

teleaddicted likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Maybe jazz just needs a little spicein' up to put it back in business.

[​IMG]

16. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Jazz as pop music has a long run--roughly from 1920 to @ 1955. Rock as pop music had about as long a run, roughly 1955 to 1990. rock is still around but it's been way eclipsed by other genres:

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta.../the-sad-state-of-rock-at-the-grammys/516552/

Also one of the things I like about jazz is the relative lack of self-serious lifstyle posing. You don't have to pretend to be a gangsta, or a good 'ol boy, or a rebel badass, or a transgender activist: there's not as much lifestyle huffing and puffing. you can just make music.

Matt G, 4 Cat Slim, 8barlouie and 3 others like this.
  17. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

There are no bad genres, just bad songs. If I wanted to make a living playing jazz (hypothetically speaking) I'd have as small as group as possible-3 or 4 piece. Then I'd have a good looking female singer. Then I'd play music people could dance to.

No, it wouldn't be bop. But it could work.

Hey Tony-Dylan got into folk 'cause rock-n-roll lyrics were too shallow for him. He wanted lyrics that were more about life as he knew it.

18. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

For a second there I thought you were going to post some good music...

Felino likes this.
  19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jazz is where music goes to college.

In the 50s, it left high school along with country music, which jazzcats scorned. Teenagers then took up with the greasers, because they easy and more fun.

While jazz got its Ph.D., rock and trad country aged out. Rappers cornered words for a while, then younger country joined them. Music got simpler. More people became musically illiterate.

So now we have simplistic words, simple music, and little market for serious musical intelligence and/or authenticity, even though those things are easier to get than ever before.

Jazz is dead. Long live jazz!

20. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

Me too. When driving home from a jazz concert at a small to medium size venue, I'm completely electrified. No other music does that to me to that level.

Felino likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.