Jazz Guitar Player Gear...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Nov 13, 2020.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

...What are you jazz players using for gear? Guitars, amps, pedals, pick ups, strings (I know this one has recently been covered but it's OK to reprise it), picks, etc.

Starting with me:

Eastman AR580CE single HB archtop with a superb sounding Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup. Very rich sounding combination.

Also using a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amp that I love. For pedals I have a Wampler Euphoria, EH Soul Food, and a Tube Screamer Mini. I only use them for blues and go pedal-less for jazz. My guitar and amp combination sounds exceptional if I do say so myself.

Also, for blues I use a Fender Tele Vintera '60s Modded. Goes great with the amp. That's it for me. How about you?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    richiek65 likes this.
  2. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Even if only play Jazz time to time...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-tbln.

3. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

‘77 maple-necked, Gibson ES-175. Flat wound strings and had my local guy put on and compensate a rosewood bridge/saddle.

Occasionally an old ES-347, or pre-CBS Teles or Strats.

Amp is a ‘66 Deluxe Reverb.

But I can barely noodle blues, let alone jazz.

Rocky058 and brookdalebill like this.
  4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

The last two events I attended the same equipment was used: The Epiphone ES-295 with P90’s (one Brown and another Red both with matte finishes = negligent glare, which I really like.) The 295’s are more like 175’s with
    Bigsbys from the 1950’s - really cool.
    Both used Supro Amps - one looked like a Titan (one 10) and the other one was like a Thunderbolt but with Reverb.

Wow...when I send my letter to The North Pole...:D:D

5. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Guild ce-100 with a kinman p90 (guitar didn’t have the original pickup, so it’s not too heretical) into a 5e3.

Thomastik or Pyramid 12s. Fender extra heavy 551 picks.

Sometimes I like using an opto comp. If I use a tele I throw a tubescreamer in there only for the mid hump to make it p90-sounding.

6. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

Is that the DeArmond on The Gretch? Those can sound incredible maybe the best.

tubelectron likes this.
  7. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

I've been kicking around the idea of looking into those deluxe tone master amps those are the modeled ones right? Now I'm going with an epiphone with a p90 that I move from guitar to guitar and D'addario jazz flat wounds or I also like the ground wounds but I haven't seen them for a while. I've also got to have the largest Moshay pick or a suitable homemade copy. And the old script Dyna Comp has always been my go-to but I'm really looking to different compressors maybe that Cali76,? I've been thinking of building another Tweed deluxe for jazz stuff but the lightweight and sound of that tone master are attractive selling points. I saw it on the pedal show and I wondered if the one thing they found off about it, the mid-range being different I wondered if that might be addressed with a speaker change. In terms of kick myself in the butt I used to own Doug Kershaw's 330 and it was nothing short of lush it was just a gorgeous sounding guitar and beautiful playing. Also I was bringing big box guitars home from my buddy's store and a 59 or so 175 that I passed on I tend to kick myself about. It needed extensive fret work and it had fallen with the jack in it and busted out-there was a cool repair done with some silver work like a large square badge was fitted over it that was intricately carved into and then that was removed and put in the case and the luthier had added in a wooden patch-all resulting in a price of about $1,500 to me, I'm guessing this was about 10 years ago. The patch was fine and to tell you the truth I wouldn't have minded that big silver badge or Jack or whatever the hell it was it was like the full width of the guitar from front to back and square.

8. Audiotrove

Audiotrove TDPRI Member

Flatwound nickel

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

At my jazziest. 1949 Gibson L-5P with a floating pup added later:

[​IMG]

The strings in that picture are probably D'Addario flatwounds, 13 gauge. My favourites on that guitar were 14s, nylon wrapped La Bellas:

[​IMG]

Again, at my jazziest, I played it straight into a Polytone.

[​IMG]

I believe that ticks all the jazz guitar cliche boxes!

[EDIT] Pick:

[​IMG]

10. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

I'll do that also with the tube screamer and turn all, or most of the dirt off and use the volume on it to allow me to crank the amp way up and then back it down with the pedal, adding its mid hump. I think there's some video on YouTube or in this phone with my mahogany telly and my Hoffman Stout reverb that I built into a ac30 size cabinet with a couple of greenbacks I used to dig it for jazz stuff but it's just too heavy I'll see if I can find the clips

loopfinding likes this.
  11. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

JB Barnyard preamp pedal and just about anything else.

Bulldoggio likes this.
  12. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

This isn't the one I was looking for but it's the first thing I ran up on and it's jazz I guess so... It's a looper thing so I had already recorded the changes but I didn't know how to edit on YouTube so it's got me playing the whole damn bass part through before I get to the melody and solo so if you want you can fast forward through because I'll just be playing the same baseline that's going to be going on under my changes anyway... Sorry about that.

Finish laying the bass parts and start the head and soloing around four and a half minutes in

13. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

I have guild artist award from 1978 and a tele I built myself--the tele is completely hollow, with no center block. It has a maple body and a spruce top with bracing. The tele bridge is a top loader that acts as a brace. it looks exactly like a tele but has a sound some what like an archtop.

I play either a henricksen Jazzamp with a Barber gain changer in front of it or a Pro Junior in a cab I made to take a 12 inch speaker

ndcaster and loopfinding like this.
  14. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

That’s pretty much my dream guitar. But I don’t think I’ll be able to do one justice until I hit my 50s.

15. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Well no, it's a custom-modded 60s japanese "Midland" monkey-on-a-stick" pickups that :
    1 - I retrofitted in LH dexterity.
    2 - I had rewound in Jazz humbucker by Kent Armstrong Sr.

The unit give that nice smooth Jazz tone à la Johnny Smith. :cool:

[​IMG]

AFAIK, there's no DeArmond Rhythm Chief available in LH...

-tbln.

16. Old Has Been

Old Has Been Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

1953 Gibson ES 175.

17. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

Epiphone Broadway, 12 flatwounds, can't remember if I got Thomastic, or that XL brand. Grey Dunlop pick with the texture, sometimes my fingers if I want to be quiet. I have a Vox pathfinder I rarely use and an Ampeg Gemini in the basement that I haven't used in at least 5 years.

Although sometimes I'll use my G&L ASAT. The songs don't know what guitar I'm using. I rarely plug that in either, I can hear the notes, that's all that matters.

18. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

19. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

When I try to make jazz noises I usually use these (strings: Thomastik bebops).

D.H.

richter125.jpg

ndcaster and SparkleFart like this.
  20. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Early 90s Heritage H 550, outfitted with minihums, a Fishman piezo bridge and Roland GK3 midi pickup, Epiphone Sheraton USA with the Fishman piezo bridge and GK3, and a D'Angelico Excell SS with minihums, piezo bridge and GK3 are the guitars in question, and a 1970 Deluxe Reverb equipped with 2x10 JBLs, running 6L6s. These tic all the boxes for me, YMMV. 20171114_133018.jpg 20171114_133334.jpg 20190121_120752.jpg 20190104_001049_001.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.