1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazz Guitar Lovers...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Oct 29, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Man, this just torpedoed my night. He was one of my favorite guitar players. Loved his triple P90 tele. Ron Kirn built a replica of it. Man...R.I.P. and God bless, Charlie. You will be missed.

Danb541 and srblue5 like this.
  2. El Tele Lobo

Nice! I dig this! Especially "Quarantine Swing Postcard." It swings...with wings. Really fine playing on the other pieces too. You are a very well-rounded player. I'm still young and foolish enough to hope I might be as accomplished one day...with considerable practice, of course. Props, Gate.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  3. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

Yeah the Standard had the two Schaller pickups.Ihave never seen one of those but the single pickup version is sweet.If anyone knows more about these guitars please chime in. Not a lot of info out there.

4. El Tele Lobo

Here's Little Charlie Baty with his triple-P90 tele...this piece is more jump blues or jumped-up jazz blues than jazz:

And here he is playing some gypsy jazz:

DekeDog likes this.
  5. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry for the bad news brother. If you like Baty I'm sure you liked Sean Costello too.
    If you haven't heard Sean, your welcome.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    javiersson and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I bought mine at Fuller's Guitars in Houston in the late 90s, natural, 2 pickups, really nicely appointed jazz box. I almost killed myself protecting it from harm- finished my last set one night, stood up with the guitar on a strap, tripped over a monitor cabinet and ended up flat on my back, but I kept the guitar on my front so it landed on me (a very padded landing spot). I twisted my knee a bit, but that D'Aquisto was safe!

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Though not a jazz player I learnt from The Joe Pass Guitar Method book.
    I could red music and it helped me a great deal with understanding the relationship between notes in chords.
    Anyone else learn from that ( circa 1960s)?

8. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I pretty much like it all, guitar jazz, horn jazz, keyboard jazz, strings jazz, etc. I guess I don't understand guitar players saying they like jazz but not guitar jazz. Hard for me to make sense of that. But, that's me and your opinion is just as valid as mine.

I will say I'm just as influenced by horn and keys players as I am guitar players. Heck, I'm even influenced by bass players. I've heard bass players play some superb solos. I pick up some really nice phrasing from other instruments too.

I guess, for me, jazz guitar is just as "dynamic" as about any other instrument. Some don't like the bass-y tone that many jazz guitar players use. Nothing wrong with that at all. Grant Green played with a brighter tone vs other jazz guitarists. I tend to like a slightly brighter tone myself. Different strokes. It's all good and I pretty much like it all. I try to learn from it all. I guess that's what I'm trying to say. JMHO, YMMV.

javiersson and Jared Purdy like this.
  9. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Yes!! I was late to appreciate jazz, but B3-centered, blues based jazz is now my favorite music to play live.

And there are so many great groups: Deep Blue Organ trio, Jimmy Smith with Wes, Burrell, Benson; Jack MacDuff with Benson; Peter Bernstein, Larry Goldings, Bill Stewart and more.

I was fortunate to grow up listening to all this thanks to my two (much) older brothers, who are 100% jazz guys and excellent musicians. One got me started on guitar, the other has been leading a B3 centered funk / jazz group in New England. Most enjoyable gigs I ever played were with that band.

BigDaddyLH likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Those slim books packed a lot of stuff into them!

[​IMG]

Got that?

javiersson likes this.
  11. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

"Midnight Blue" by Kenny Burrell, one of my all time favorite jazz guitar albums. I've listened to that album for the past 40+ years and I'm listening to it right now. His phrasing in the slow blues songs on that album is extremely tasty. And, yes, Johnny Smith is a killer player.

ruger9 likes this.
  12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a jazz guitar fan as well, both of the players and their "jazz boxes."

Even though I wasn't trying to play jazz when I started out, I learned to play guitar on an archtop, specifically a Harmony Archtone H-1213...

[​IMG]

The nostalgia of an archtop guitar stayed with me through the years. Finally, in May of this year, I scored a Harmony archtop, one that has the same "born on" date as me, 1953. It's actually the model that is a step up from the Archtone model I'm pictured with above. Specifcally, my new jazz box is a Harmony Broadway, H-954...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This new-to-me guitar doesn't exactly "play like butter," but it's not bad. It's certainly a playable piece of history/nostalgia, and I tend to play jazz standards on it (and a bit of the blues).

That said, most of what passes for jazz when I play it is done on one of my teles. And I generally don't roll off the tone very much, if at all. In fact, I sometimes even use the middle position for jazz! :eek::twisted:

I guess you could say Ted Greene was a factor, but to me Ed Bickert was much more of an influence in that regard. And among the living and contemporary players of jazz on teles, I like Tim Lerch and Julian Lage. Before any of them, however, I listened to Joe Pass, so that brings me back around to archtop jazz guitar.

javiersson, Rocky058, Jake909 and 6 others like this.
  13. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Massive jazz lover here. While I grew up up on classic 60's and 70's rock, and in my teens I got into bluegrass, and when I was 18, I discovered Wes Montgomery, Miles Davis, and Pat Metheny. The rest is history, as we say. I have hundreds of classic rock CD's, as well as reggae, African, Latin, blues and of course, Jazz. The majority of my vinyl collection however is jazz, and that is what I listen to most of the time. My playing switches from classic blues, to my feeble attempt at jazz, and sometimes mixing the two.

14. Martian

Martian Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I remember when you got that guitar and posted a photo. Beautiful guitar and I love the shape of it for some reason.

LGOberean likes this.
  15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks. When I first read your comment above, I thought by "the shape of it" you meant what shape/condition it is in for it's age. Upon reflection, I'm guessing that you mean the shape as in her "curves," so to speak.

Yeah, some guitars have an hourglass figure, and this Broadway kinda does, too. Reminds me of my best friend and his guitar from many years ago.

He bought a classical guitar 'cuz he's got big hands and actually felt most comfortable with the classical width neck. He got engaged in 1972, but she broke off the engagement. A year or two later he tried again, but his second fiancée broke it off as well. After that, he said, "I'm gonna call this guitar 'Sweetheart,' because it's looking like this is the only thing of this particular shape that I'll ever get my arms around!" :lol:

Happy ending, though...he met the right girl, and they've been married 43 years this month.

Martian and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

good for the soul

17. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Howard Roberts!

18. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I've loved jazz - all kinds of jazz - since I was a little kid. So jazz guitar has been in my ears forever. Finally took lessons for a couple years. Which leaves me a few baby steps into that world as a player, but far enough in that I practice scales, figure out jazz blues tunes, find myself reaching further than I was able to before.

With these new playing experiences came new gear. I own 3 larger body archtops, also a very ES-330 like Eastman T64v. Here's the latest one, just picked up this week. Now getting refretted. A 1961 Guild X-175:

[​IMG]

On the amp side, most of my jazz practice goes solid state. A late 90s Evans SE-150, also a DV Mark Micro 50 CMT head into a Mather oversized 1x12 pine cab.

Jake909 and Dan R like this.
  19. El Tele Lobo

Glad to hear of the happy ending. Maybe there's still hope for me. I've had two failed engagements as well...and have been single for 7 years. I do have a harem of teles though...which have been far too neglected while I've been in school. I suspect I'll be a lonely jazz musician unless the Future Mrs. Wolf finds me soon. BTW, if any of you see her out and about, please let her know she's been terribly naughty and is FAR more than fashionably late. She's going to have to be very persuasive though...I've grown rather fond of my quiet bachelor life. Well...quiet until I turn on my Champ clone!

LGOberean likes this.
  20. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

Hows about some swing?

The Night Rider, by Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West - Cover, Rob Bourassa

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    ndcaster and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.