1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazz Guitar Lovers...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Oct 29, 2020.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Great playing, thanks for posting!
    I particularly enjoyed your homage to Bucky Pizzarelli. I love slow tempo jazz, so not a bop fan; johnny smith is probably my favorite jazz guitar player. Cheers

RadioFM74 likes this.
  2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

The sound quality is awful, but there aren't many videos of him available unfortunately. His guitar playing almost always hits me right in the heart:

kLyon, RadioFM74 and ruger9 like this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

One of my 2 favorites. Johnny Smith for the clean, beautiful chords. Kenny Burrell for the smokier stuff

DekeDog, kLyon and EsquireBoy like this.
  4. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

Yes I'm a jazz guitar lover. As in any genre there are some uninteresting players but in general I love hearing a good jazz guitarist

5. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

Took jazz guitar lessons in the late 80's & have been in love with it since. I am more into standards, swing, bossa & samba than fusion or bebop. I really love Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, George Benson & Acoustic Alchemy.

6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I really like the understated beauty of the ES175. Plus, the warm tone of a great sounding ES175 is very hard to beat.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  7. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Currently learning jazz in my guitar lessons. Its hard! I'm fighting my way through "Billie's Bounce" right now.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'd be insulting every Jazz guitarist out there and everyone here if I said I was Jazz guitarist. I started studying it in the early 80s when I was 30. Too late to make a good start at it. I realized also that, like Classical guitar, you need to learn repertoire first.

I had no time coz I was a working musician and teacher and we started having kids. I had been playing since I was 13 so I knew my way around the fretboard and with some extensive theory and ear training I can make a go of it but I would never consider myself a true Jazz player.

But I decided to post a pic of a guitar I bought about 10 yrs ago to get some more trad sounds I can't get from a Tele or Strat. Don't laugh, this really can do the job.

bbking.jpg

It's a 2010 Epi Lucille. It makes a great instrument for Jazz. Pups are warm and the semi-hollow body adds to that warmth. And without the 'f' holes it's even more resonant than most any ES type I've played.

Anyway, if you're in the market and don't have a lotta bucks check it out.

Cheers

PhredE and RadioFM74 like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's a blues. There are lots of examples of guitarists playing it on YouTube.

El Tele Lobo, PhredE and dougstrum like this.
  10. G-52

G-52 Tele-Holic

I really enjoyed your post and recordings! In the past year, I became interested in adding jazz influences to country playing. TrueFire courses by Ray Nijenhuis (western swing), Frank Vignola, and Jason Loughlin have been extremely helpful. Work in progress, loving the journey.

JasonLoughlin and RadioFM74 like this.
  11. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

I wish I had started out on piano, it's the perfect instrument.

I do love jazz, but not jazz guitar (with the exception of Wes).

kLyon likes this.
  12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Right here. I play (or try to) jazz guitar on my teles. I have one made especially for jazz with a TV Jones T90 in the neck only and 12 gauge strings.

I love swing and bop but I mostly play standards (usually fingerstyle, but sometimes with a plectrum) and jazz-blues stuff building on my blues background. I'm not very good...and even worse since I've been in x-ray school but when I get out and working in a couple months, I plan to do some SERIOUS woodshedding and probably lessons. Nowhere near gig-ready at this point.

Here's my jazz tele. Still not crazy about the knobs. May switch to some Harmony style or some similar to those on the Klon Centaur.

black hardware 1.jpg black hardware 2.jpg

13. Blackshadowrider

Blackshadowrider TDPRI Member

Is your GB10 a Japanese model? I have had 3 of them over the years and always end up trading them on some other direction I am going in. Would love to have another but they have gotten very expense even on the used market. I do not like the Chinese model.

14. Blackshadowrider

Blackshadowrider TDPRI Member

Very cool, I often think I only use the neck pickup so much why do I need a bridge pickup; sort of a reverse Esquire. Cheers!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

I love jazz, but never really got to like jazz guitar. Only example I can think that I like of is the guitar on We Want Miles.

16. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Sure, these two below can be considered as Jazz guitars - my 1991 Gretsch G400 and 2008 G100 Synchromatics Lefty-Ized :

[​IMG]

Oh, from time to time "Electrified" - my G100 fitted with a custom LH Kent Armstrong "Monkey-on-a-Stick" :

[​IMG]

I think this one can be considered as a Jazz guitar too - my 1980 Gibson ES-335TD :

[​IMG]

Despite their hollowbody construction, I'm not sure that these last two could be considered as true Jazz instruments - due to their fancy colors and Bigsby - but who knows ? ;)

[​IMG]

-tbln.

17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Ray and Jason really let you appreciate how close swing and country are!

JasonLoughlin and G-52 like this.
  18. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Don't feel bad: right bad nobody is paying anybody to play jazz))

El Tele Lobo and teletail like this.
  19. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Wes Montgomery for his phrasing, George Benson for his time. Then there's that fellow Django and plenty of other great players... but I definitely understand what you're saying.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had a housemate that was all Joe Pass , Barney Kessel big box jass that had gotten his hands on an older ES-175 in tip top, at the time he got it for a real deal a steal , what it's worth today is probably obscene
    The other room mate had a Gibson natural top Howard Roberts.

drmordo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.