1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazz Guitar Lovers...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Oct 29, 2020.

1. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

...I know there are some jazz haters here but I was wondering if there are any jazz guitar lovers? Especially swing and bop. Also any jazz/blues lovers? Are you gigging? Share your jazz gear with us.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I love jazz guitar, but I only love a few players.
    Breau, Django, Scofield, Kessel, Pass, Martino, and Andress are my favorites.
    Personally, I can acquit myself pretty well on western swing, and swing, but I am a woefully inadequate jazz guitarist.
    I study chord melody stuff for fun, but I am a reluctant soloist.
    One of my major failings.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  3. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I play around with jazz and swing just for fun . This is my Ibanez AF75 strung with TI flat wound 12’s. I removed the pickgaurd ,added a mute behind the bridge and replaced the pickup springs with surgical tubing. Now she talks to me 333569DD-F556-43E9-9F10-5B0EEEF6385D.jpeg

4. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I enjoy Jazz. :D:D

El Tele Lobo and Greggorios like this.
  5. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Studied jazz, love jazz played jazz ...I know, and back in the day hung out with some of the best jazz guitar players in the world. For the most part playing jazz guitar is synonymous with poverty even for the best. I still do it but it will never put money in your pocket. I could mention some world class players who live it and would agree with that statement. For the best players it is feast or famine for the average player it is poverty. Paying jazz gigs are few and far between and the places where you can play it in the average town are, for the most part nonexistent. Most of the people that listen to jazz guitar are jazz guitar player wanna bees. So there you have it. You will make more money playing bass in a polka band.

6. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yes, very much ... my faves are Benson, Metheny, Hall, Burrell, Lage, Frisell ...

Some of our gigs include jazz tunes altho I'm not a true jazz player by a long shot ... my gear for those are this Artstar AF120 and a SF PR.

IMG_1098.JPG

javiersson, Tonetele, Flip G and 6 others like this.
  7. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

I love jazz, but don't listen to much jazz guitar. My favorite jazz guitarists play blues oriented jazz guitar... Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, etc. I play some bop... Miles, Monk, Dizzy. I play some Fusion based around tunes of Weather Report, Jeff Beck and Pat Metheny (if you consider them Fusion). Learned a bunch of heads from The Real Book, 6th edition, and practice improvising around them.

I compared an Epi Joe Pass with an Ibanez AFJ-91, and much preferred the Ibanez, which I bought. I've always wanted an ES-175, but couldn't justify the expense.

The AFJ-91 is an excellent bargain, and it sounds good and plays great. But I've replaced the original tailpiece because it split. It has T-I Flat 12s on it.

I spent ten years in pursuit of developing a jazz vocabulary, but I'm not happy at all where I am with that. It did teach me a lot about music and improvisation which I use in all of my playing. It helped me develop my own musical identity/style/tone. And learning more about music from a great instructor made it easier for me to learn on my own.

8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

9. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Love jazz guitar - more so when played on a Telecaster or other single coil axes.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Shout out to living guitarists!

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I enjoy Jazz and Smooth Jazz. I'm pretty mediocre but enjoy playing single note lines.
    I have an Ibanez GB10, EPI Sheraton II and a Gibson Tennessean and of course the neck pickup on a Telecaster works well.

12. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

I listen to jazz radio (college, terrestrial radio) in the car when I'm driving, and jazz guitar plays a big role in keeping contemporary jazz relevant; I hear tons of guitar, especially, guitar/organ/percussion trios.

13. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

You mention jazz/blues. Not sure if Little Charlie and the Nightcats qualify. I used to go see these guys all the time. Little Charlie Baty recently passed away. He was amazing on the guitbox!

14. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

15. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

16. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Someone recently described me as a jazz player which I thought was interesting. I dont really know what I did wrong! :) My background is in classical, pop, blues, and soul.

I mostly play an Ibanez PM-100 and a G&L ASAT strung with classical guitar strings.

Greggorios and Old Plank like this.
  17. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

This is my '35 L-12 purchased from Jonathan Stout a few years back.

[​IMG]

18. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I used to use a full sized Aria that I fitted with p90s. When I built the guitar on the right I started using it for jazz stuff. Thinner body and smaller lower bout make it very comfortable to play. IMG_20200824_143520578.jpg IMG_20200824_143520578.jpg

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Another living guitarist. Five points if you can tell this is a recent recording.

Ron C, kLyon, jsalvaggio and 3 others like this.
  20. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I love jazz. I listen to a lot of jazz. I study with a great jazz guitarist. But nobody is paying me to play jazz.

4E216B42-1FC8-431B-BFAD-84E8730D7B72.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.