1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jazz Chording on a Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bottomfeeder, Jan 15, 2021.

1. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder Tele-Meister

I'm playing a G&L ASAT Classic with Rutters compensating saddles. Recently I've been learning some jazz standards and I find it almost impossible to get some chords to sound in tune. A specific for instance would be G7flat9 at the 10th fret. I have tweaked and tweaked at the saddles but things are still a bit off. I'm currently strung with Daddario light gauge 11's. I'm thinking I may need to replace them with 12s with a wound G to get things right.......or is it possible that the intonation of the compensating saddles just isnt exact enough for what I'm working at?

Jay Jernigan and Addnine like this.
  2. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

I'm doing a lot of jazz stuff up there to. I find I need to flatten the G string a little otherwise things sound sour. been thinking about getting a new nut since this string alone frets sharp, but for now I just detune a little and play on.

Djangers and IMadeYouReadThis like this.
  3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

You need to play the chord plugged into a good tuner. Play each note separately. You'll see which notes are out. If it's the note on the "G" string, you'll see it.

One of the reason I have a few dedicated "Jazz" guitars is so I can keep heavier flatwounds with a wound "G" on them for intonation and tonal reasons.

One other thing that can mess up semi-dissonant and harder-to-finger chords is inadvertently bending some of the strings or pressing too hard to fret certain strings.

Frankie, Marblatx, younkint and 13 others like this.
  4. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

With flatwounds with a wound G you might not even need to go to 12s. If it were me, I'd try flat 11s first to be as close as possible to matching the current nut slot widths.

5. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I use compensated nuts on all my guitars. On Fender-types I use Earvana shelf nuts and on Gibsons and others I use Hosco SOS offset spacers. I like them. Completely reversible and they work as advertised IMHO.

younkint and Maguchi like this.
  6. bottomfeeder

All good comments, but I have bee trying to jump off of the internet fueled GAS insanity train and am down to only one guitar. That kind of rules out using flatwounds for me. Anyone using 11s without a wound G like Ernie Ball Power Slinkys?

7. bottomfeeder

The closest Earvana install shop for me is almost 4 hours.

8. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

In that case, I first would make absolutely sure the intonation was right. New strings probably aren't going to help much if that's off. What tuner are you using to check it?

fakeocaster and SRHmusic like this.
  9. bottomfeeder

Boss TU-70
    TC Electronic Polytune
    Kong PitchCrow

Maguchi likes this.
  10. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

That's what I was thinking... mostly because I do it so well. It's not really an issue on my axe with low/wide frets, but on tall/narrow it's something I have to pay attention to.

That's very cool. So the Hosco just slides in, you cut the slots to the height of the nut slots, and you're done?

11. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Lol, well that should cover it. The polytone has a strobe function? Then just try some new strings and see what happens.

Maguchi likes this.
  12. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

If you are using really light strings it could be a problem ... if it is set up right and you are using say 11 - 48 it shouldn't be an issue ... I play chord melody arrangements all over the neck on my tele and asat tribute no problems at all. I'm not nuts about the tribute BTW, It never seemed to bother Ted Green. The key to the whole thing is to have it set up for the style you are playing.

Ricoblues and PhredE like this.
  13. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

I would get a good set up on her, and make sure the intonation is perfect. If that doesn't work, get individual brass saddles installed. G&L makes them, they are nice. Then intonate/set up the guitar again, and it should be fine.

3 brass saddles will never be perfect perfect, but you can come pretty damn close.

IMG_9442d_1024x1024.jpg

Maguchi, PhredE and driver8 like this.
  14. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy TDPRI Member

Welcome to telehood. The things play so clear that when their are intonation snafus, they really seem to stick out. Truth is heavier strings may help, but in a mix, you probably wont notice it. I have to keep my b-string a lil flat. I know where I have to microbend etc. Its charming really.

Maguchi, nicknklv and PhredE like this.
  15. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

5 years old, but still potentially useful:

Tim Lerch -Tele Talk - Getting a "Jazz" sound out of a Telecaster

16. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

If you have a standard nut slot they aren’t hard to install. I have usually had to file them a bit but when you have them fitted they will sit in the slot and the shelf portion will rest right on the fretboard. No gaps. They usually snap into place after a bit of filing. I have 5 Fender-type guitars with Earvana nuts. The string slots are done right from the factory and I have never needed to do anything to them.

Yeah, but I have never cut the nut slots deeper. I use the tape to thicken up the bottom of the spacer. Sometimes I have had to use 4-5 strips. Besides the strips that come with them I have used thin aluminum tape. It is about the same thickness as the tape that comes with them. I suppose if you spend a lot time in the cowboy chord position filing the slots might be better though.

17. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Loved his work on Addams Family. Apparently he plays harpsicord, too.

Crobbins, mrbdxmpl and PhredE like this.
  18. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Tim Lerch is my guitar teacher. Brilliant player and really great guy. Check out his video about tuning. If you use a tuner you only get so close. Tune to a tuner then tune to the guitar.... You will be much happier with your sound.

19. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

I recognize your issue, I have experienced the same with that particular chord,and the exact same strings. My gripe has always been with the B string instead.

But in your case, if you are considering switching the G string, I am assuming it is the F, or seventh interval of that chord that sounds off,correct? Is it only in that position that the 7th sounds off? Because you're probably playing chords with a root on A fairly often for jazz. I'd just think if your 7th is off, you'd notice it at least a little bit higher up/lower down the neck.

I'd tune to a good tuner as suggested by others and really try to get that interval right between the A and G strings till you find a happy medium.

Paulie13 likes this.
  20. bottomfeeder

I'm not familiar with Mr. Lerch, but he is quite an impressive musician. I like the way he shakes the guitar for a tremolo effect, similar to Bill Frisell. I think this might also help with pesky intonation issues.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.