Jazz bass nut

BillyChapel

NEW MEMBER!
Greetings! Long time lurker here. I have wanted to assemble a bass guitar for quite some time, so I recently purchased a 5 string jazz bass kit. It is a cheap import kit, and this post is not intended to be critical of the quality in any way. I bought the kit in order to learn and practice, and am totally satisfied with what I got.

The nut slot is not cut evenly. The G side of the slot looks like this:

1642909892202.jpeg

The B side is more level, but the nut is not firmly glued on that side:

1642910086554.jpeg

And this shows how the B side can be pushed down into the slot:

1642910208456.jpeg

So the B side is level but the nut is not firmly glued down on that side, and the G side is pushed all the way down AND glued firmly but the slot is definitely not straight over on that side.

So my question is what do I do about this? I’ve thought of 2 possible solutions but as a learning experience I’d like to hear how a more experienced person would approach the problem.

1. Fill the G side gap with maple sawdust and then drip some super thin CA. Then put some glue under the B side and clamp down until set. This likely would not fully address the uneven slot but would it work?

2 Remove the nut completely, level the nut slot with epoxy or maple sawdust/CA, put a new nut in.

Thoughts?

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
I agree completely with loidrinkaku on this. The nut is a disposable, replaceable item. Make the slot right without adding anything and either cut a new nut to fit or use a flat shim to raise the existing one. To make the shim less visible, use a strip of wood the same color as the neck, or a strip of cream binding or any other material that looks like the nut. I'd attach the shim firmly to the nut and not the slot. I favor a single drop of shellac to secure the nut in the slot, shim or no shim -- just enough to keep it from falling out when you take off the strings.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm with Sea Devil on this. You want to learn about making a guitar, the nut is a very important part. Make the slot square and level - tip a small bastard file on its edge. I hate shims but will use them if necessary, if your nut ends up being too low I would suggest making a new one (good learning experience). And yes, glue it in with one or two tiny drops of glue - I use CA - the idea is that a gentle tap with a small block of wood should knock it out.

I did a thread some time ago on setting up a couple of bass guitars, it might be helpful as you approach that stage of yours

BillyChapel

NEW MEMBER!
Thanks for the replies. I will remove the nut, level the slot, and go from there.

I did a thread some time ago on setting up a couple of bass guitars, it might be helpful as you approach that stage of yours

Thanks for the link-I will check that out. I used your diluted Z-poxy method for grain filling with great success, by the way!