Jazz bass got a facelift........

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by FortyEight, Oct 28, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

Wows do I like how this looks. Just thought I'd share. Bought from Stratosphrere and it was the cream color.

Made it sound better too. LOL. Just kidding. @mexicanyella did find a tip that may have some merit that I didn't know about. He said some guys were saying that if you run both pups it has a bigger sound if neither one is full out. So after I installed I played this one through my "big" amp (I know lol for some of you, rumble 100 Gen II) and there may have been a quality of sound that was nice with the neck dialed back 10% and the bridge pup up 50-60%. It definitely had a different sound then with them both full out.

Maybe you guys can add your thoughts on that if you want....

Attached Files:

68Telebass, nojazzhere, JL_LI and 5 others like this.
  2. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nice man! Jazz bass guitar - a tried and true veteran of the music industry. I've always liked em, though I'm not a bass player at all ;)

Blackout Jazz and WingedWords like this.
  3. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

I think a Jazz Bass is Leo's most beautiful design. Black and cream is pretty much perfect and I could look at my 98 CiJ Noel Redding Signature all day.

20200609_110814.thumb.jpg.c9b0db73668da6c69f8af1bd253de8b5.jpg

But I just can't get the sounds out of it that I know are in there. So it's back to my trusty P Bass.

4. Blackout Jazz

Blackout Jazz Tele-Meister

I'm missing it. Did you put a new guard on it, or you refinished it in black? It looks great, BTW. Just like a MIJ Geddy Lee if it had a himass bridge. I just put cheesy stickers on my inlays to get that neck look. :D

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That looks great! I love the cream on black. I know it’s blasphemous but I really like Jazz basses. Black with blocks and maple is such a classic style! It’s a tux! Love it.

68Telebass and Blackout Jazz like this.
  6. Killing Floor

And regarding pickup mix i like about 60/40 neck. I wire mine to VBT. Then if it needs more punch and less depth I dial it the same way toward the bridge like you described. No wrong answer.

Blackout Jazz likes this.
  7. Blackout Jazz

So it's the guard? Again, I love me a black jazz so. :)

Ought to try a set of the Rotosound Nexus black strings...

8. FortyEight

@Blackout Jazz Sorry about that, I wasn't as clear as I should've been in my original post. Yeah I bought the pickguard from Stratosphere. Also got a white / white one for my Squier BSB Tele. Which to me for some reason makes it look so much better than the black.

@Killing Floor What does VBT stand for? I will try the 60/40... Everyone in the country band likes it when I play the P more. So I won't likely be playing it in there unless the P breaks. LOL. Then right now @mexicanyella is the bass player for the band I record in. 41TWIN. So the Jazz might be not played as much and only carted around as a back up. I will have to give it some love and play it on my own for no good reason other than to play it at at times. Cuz yeah, the thing looks so nice like this... LOL. And I like the way it sounds. When I was recording only with the P it sometimes sounds like too much. It's got that barky, angsty sound when you do runs higher up on the neck. Which is good for some stuff but the Jazz sounds more smooth. Which is good for some stuff. It is more challenging to get it to be present in the mix but there was one song in particular we recorded that I liked a lot how it sounded.

9. Killing Floor

Sorry.

Volume Blend Tone. I wire my middle as a mix between neck and bridge. I don’t do that on my guitars because the tones are distinct but in a Jazz bass with essentially identical pickups at different positions a blend control makes it easier for me to get the point I like.

68Telebass likes this.
  10. FortyEight

You lost me. You wire the middle Pot? Oh wait, that makes kind of sense now. So you got a volume as the first... Then your next pot is a blend between the two of them? And then a tone? So if you go all the way up with the 2nd knob, it's all the neck pup, if you go all the way down it's all the bridge?

Seems like that would limit the amount of variations in tone you can have as opposed to the normal way. But also would make it simpler.....

So do I have that correct?

68Telebass likes this.
  11. Blackout Jazz

[​IMG]

68Telebass, Rubberfunk and FortyEight like this.
  12. kctelegas

kctelegas TDPRI Member

I have a Squier Jazz wired like that with Fralin pickups. Makes it much easier to adjust volume mid-song without changing tone.

FortyEight likes this.
  13. FortyEight

Aaaaah, that makes a lot of sense.

14. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Nice combo!! Black Tie indeed!

Yes- those who “dime” their Jazz Bass, and just rip are missing a big part of tone.
    The tone knob is your friend in a Jazz bass. I find myself starting tone fully closed, then open it up to what the room needs. Sort on tonal equivalent of tuning up to pitch.

As for the pickups, leaving a bit of headroom is always advisable The two volumes are interactive- 75-85/10 neck to bridge gets a nice country tone that even your crusty drummer may like!

Have you tried flatwound strings on it yet?? 60s time machine there…

“VBT” setups yield different sonic possibilities, as does a stack knob V/T V/T for each pickup.

I’ve thought about thise for my Jazz bass, but I really want to be comfortable with the “stock” VVT setup. It SHOULD cover all sonic ground.;)

15. FortyEight

I did notice a difference rolling back from full out. That has possibilities for sure. I haven't tried flatwounds yet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.