Jazz bass alternate wiring?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by papaschtroumpf, Dec 27, 2017.

1. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Holic

My kid for me a $50 Jazz Bass Chinese kit from Tomtop (see my thread here).
    Still tweaking it but I think it will be a decent bad in the end.

Of course I can't leave well enough alone and I'm thinking about how I can mess with it take it "mine". I think I want series wiring for the fatter "P-Bass" sound. I'm thinking that I would like also to have a Volume/Blend/Tone because I prefer a master volume.

Can I have both the blend wiring and series?

Will the blend provide the exact same range of tones and the original 2 volumes?

2. screefer

screefer Tele-Meister

3. papaschtroumpf

Thanks this thread addresses the blending mod but doesn't talk about adding pickups in series combined with it . I signed up for TalkBass and asked the question there.

screefer likes this.
  4. howlin

howlin Tele-Afflicted

I like a master volume as well. On my last Jazz bass I had this guy wire up a V/B/T configuration with a push/pull for series/parallel activation. It was great.

5. papaschtroumpf

Do you have a diagram?

6. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

Here is a link to my 500 pages bass wiring compendium.
    A PDF with about 8 MB...
    https://www.musiker-board.de/thread...ve-e-baesse-aktuelle-version-historie.344834/

The are conventional wirings, VBT, Master/blend bridge to neck/tone, serial wirings, parallel or serial (with P/P-pot) +++...

PDF is in German but at the end is two pages dictionary for the most important expressions. Also interesting for vintage fans as changes through the years are shown.

VBT with parallel/serial (3 versions) is drawing number (Nummer) 2.1.551/552/553... (about page 325-333)

7. papaschtroumpf

You are awesome.
    Danke Schoen! (Not sure I spelled that right :) )

merseymale likes this.
  8. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

"Danke schön" or "Dankeschön" is right.
    So, with/on an English keyboard you spelled ist right! :)

Hope you understand the differences between the three wirings.
    Everyone has do decide what's best for his own...

9. papaschtroumpf

Still digesting/figuring out the differences. At first I thought it was only push-p/toggle switch/S-1 switch but now I see the subtle variations from each circuit, on how serial is handled. I think the push-pull is what I'm going to go for, because I don't want an extra switch and it's cheaper and more reliable that an S-1 switch. If I understand it right (551) its specificity is that the blend pot will affect the bridge pickup in serial mode rather than automatically getting both pickups full on. I suppose that might let you dial in more variations in the serial tone, or be annoying if you wanted instant serial tone.

I'm not sure why 553 has 250k volume and tone when the others have 500k. I'm pretty sure my bass currently has 250ks. Is it to get a better serial tone in serial?

The Talkbass thread seems to recommend a 100k blend pot.

10. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

It is not easy to get a switch with 3 "layers" (3PDT).
    The S1 is one possibility...

If you have a normal switch with 2 "layers" (P/P or 2PDT) you have to take the first variation.

Difference (if you could have both switches) is how the pots work in parralel/serial mode.

In series mode it (often) makes no sense if the balance still has influence!
    With a normal switch (P/P) the balance pot still has influence if it is turned to the bridge position. From middle to bridge, it works as an additional volume pot.

The S1 (or 3PDT) solve this problem.

- - - - - - -

You can use 250k pots for master volume and tone instead of the 500ks!!!
    If you miss brightness, change them to 500k. If you like a punchy sound, 250k are better.

11. papaschtroumpf

Yup that's how I read 551 too. The middle pot ("balance") will be a little weird in serial and you need to make sure you are at least at the mid point (I'm also assuming the balance pot is M/N, not A/C)

12. papaschtroumpf

I didn't realize the S-1 was basically a 3PDT switch. It's wired "backwards" from the 3DPT but they are functionally equivalent, taking the balance pots out altogether right?

I am definitely saving your PDF for future reference, it is a gold mine.

13. Cadfael

Cadfael Tele-Meister

The S1 is a 4PDT (3Ps are used here).

Yes. the 3rd "switch layer" is for taking the balance pots out.

14. papaschtroumpf

Someone on the TalkBass forums turned me on to this schematic:
    [​IMG]
    It has the ungrounded blend pot to avoid the "tone suck" often associated with blend pots
    The push-pull is wired to get series and parallel and the blend pot is truly out of the circuit in series, even though it uses a simple DPDT pushpull
    the pushpull is backward from my preference: it is series by default (pushed), so I reversed the top and bottom row of contacts so I would have blend by default and series when pulled.
    Works great!
    I did not do the pot trace cut suggested in the talkbass thread so tehcnically there is a little bit of the other pickup even when the blend pot is either fully right or fully left, but I can't say I hear it/
    I used a 100K MN for the blend and it is useful over the entire range.

I am very happy with the circuit (also very quiet for single coils, whether it's because of how it's designed or because I did a good job with shielding and using a start configuration for my grounds)

merseymale and screefer like this.
  15. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

16. papaschtroumpf

The diagram I used is not in there, I think it is a better DPDT (push-pull) solution, but I could be wrong, I'm not good a comparing wiring diagrams and switch magic.

That document is most excellent however.

17. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'd be interested in how the wiring situation turns out for you. I am never 100 percent satisfied with any wiring situation I use for Jazz basses but the closest I've come is Volume Tone and Blend (I like the blend last in line) in series or the old style with V and T for each pickup. After getting a Mustang PJ I'm wondering why I never thought of using a simple 3 way switch on a Jazz though. In any case, I hope it turns out well on your Jazz.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I converted my Washburn XB-100 P-bass I bought used for $40 into a JPJ and added a 5-way Strat blade switch, master volume master tone. It's a fun guitar. The neck J is up where a Strat neck pickup would be, very bass bass.
    I'll have to try to get it to quack sometime.

papaschtroumpf likes this.
  19. papaschtroumpf

In the end I'll probably have one or two settings I enjoy and only use those anyway :) I do this stuff more for the pleasure I get from tinkering than for the actual tonal usefulness.
    So far my favorites are series and parallel with blend set to neck only. I don't have another jazz bass to compare to so I don't know if I don't care for the bridge pickup because of personal preference or because the pickups from the kit are too cheap. I suspect the latter, I like the bridge on YouTube recordings I've looked at.
    I'm still primarily a guitar player, although I enjoy bass immensely.

merseymale and screefer like this.
  20. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.