'Jazz' amp for other things...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tonyguitargoat, Aug 8, 2020.

1. tonyguitargoat

tonyguitargoat Tele-Meister

I recently bought a DV Mark 'Little Jazz' amp - 8" speaker, 50 watts. What does a 'jazz amp' imply to you? Clean, certainly, and warm and mellow. It does those things perfectly and is small and light. Great for a home practice amp (or jazz gigs) - and is completely free of hum or noise.
    But using my Squier CV Tele, it can have a clean country twang as well. And plugging through a Bad Monkey pedal, I can get that Danny Gatton/Roy Buchanan dirty Tele tone. Not yet tried it on a country gig, but it can be hooked up to other speakers...
    When I worked in studios in the 70's, session players for pop/MOR sessions would all bring in small amps - this would've been perfect.

2. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Jazz amp suggests clean and clear tone to me. Unlike audio amps, though ,there is a component of warmth in it.

I bought an Acoustic Image Ten2 when I was playing jazz. It is usually considered a bass amp but is also marketed as a Gguitar amp. It has one front loaded 10" speaker, a downward firing 10" which can be attenuated or turned off if desired, and a tweeter.. And 800 watts in a pullout head.

An older friend of mine who was a lifelong jazz guitarist swore by his 1967 Fender Deluxe Reverb. Somehow he managed to achieve a fat but muddy tone using the DR and an early '60s Gibson L-5. It sounded like a solid-state Polytone in need of an overhaul.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. schnadz

schnadz Tele-Meister

Most amps that are marketed as "jazz" amps are high headroom amp with a fairly neutral character, perhaps a bit dark, and voiced for archtop guitars. They don't always play well with solid body guitars, in my experience, especially for jazz tones.

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I am not a jazzer but I like to listen to them sometimes, and I would love to get turned loose with an Evans combo sometime.

Also a Henriksen; that would be fun.

The one time I got to play through a ZT Lunchbox, I tried to get a “jazz tone” out of it while playing the approximately 3.5 “jazz chords” I know, and I thought it sounded pretty good.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My bandmate went thru a series of Polytones, Henricksen and Fargen and they all did pretty well in gig situations with his Les Pauls, he's a clean player in general. But they really shone with his ES-175. Especially the Poly Mini-Brute, that thing was great but did have issues with the electronics. Speaking of Lunchbox amps, ZT also has the Jazz Club, a larger, 12" high headroom with 220W RMS, lots of features; they look great but haven't heard/tried one. Its custom shop "companion" amp is the Lee Renaldo Club.

6. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

... good jazz amps are clean sounding for the most part. I like the Traynor YCV40 and some Ampeg amps for jazz. If you don't ming a hernia, a Twin Reverb would be ideal IMHO. A lot of people use Roland amps for Jazz. Me I use my Traynor most of the time. If I could get my hands on an old Polytone I might use that. YMMV

7. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Jazzkat Tomkat to use with my pedal steel.
    Its a good, powerful amp with an XLR out.
    Lots of nice low end, and I use it as a keyboard monitor too.

8. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Like with anything I think it depends on the situation. If horns are involved you’ll need enough power to hang with them, but for a small group setting the DV is probably perfect. When I think of what I would consider a “classic” Jazz tone, seems to me most of it comes from how you play anyway, as long as you have enough clean headroom. A lot of that old Blue Note stuff was mostly played on Rudy Van Gelder’s house amp, which I’ve read was a Tweed Deluxe, but pics I’ve seen were usually of a smallish Ampeg.

EB1C1E59-EE0B-442D-8B2B-51ABE76770B3.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  9. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

I tend to think clean amp. With a little more EQ options. Mainly solid state. But you can play jazz on probably anything. Well maybe not on a tiny, dirty sounding amp! LOL
    I own a Polytone MiniBrute II and it does sound nice. I don't play Jazz and just bought it cause I needed an amp when I first bought my first electric back in 1986. But it does have a nice warm tone. Plus a sliding adjustment knob for overall tone voicing as well.

Here it is in all it's velvet-covered glory. I replaced the crappy decomposing foam speaker grill with a thin baffle and grill cloth. I use it as a backup amp for gigs, just in case.

IMG_1151.jpg

Fretting out likes this.
  10. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Meister

My 1962 Fender Pro sounds great with all my archtop guitars. Clean and clear and with a 15" Jensen
    Thanks John
    IMG_6345.JPG

11. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

The word "jazz" is pretty meaningless these days. In the amp world, I'd say it points towards no breakup and limited high harmonic content. ("Clean and -- ugh -- "warm.") Mostly, the term means "not rock" and "not aggressive."

Fretting out likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've read it was a Tweed Deluxe, too, but note that for recording in the studio, not gigging.

13. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

When people on this forum (and elsewhere) say "Jazz tone", they mostly think ES 175 in, say, a Twin or Polytone amp. Kind of 50's, 60's sound. Joe Pass,... But it's only part of the picture. What about Scofield tone, Frisell tone, Stern tone? Even listen to Jim Hall sound over the years... Jazz toneS? OK. Jazz guitar comes in many flavors.
    I play jazz with a Telecaster, a G&L S500, an archtop, a couple of Les Pauls plugged in a Blues Jr, a Frontman 212 R (for outside venues) and, mostly, with an Orange Crush 35 RT that gives me a nice clean and warm tone AND great crunch tones when needed...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.