Jason Isbell

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
I've watched this video at least 50 times since it came out last August.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit are doing a tribute to Charlie Watts.... I think this band is incredible!

I'm not really that familiar with Jason Isbell and his other works... can you post some of your favorite songs that Jason has been involved with? Seems like a great guy I'd like to see live someday.

Cheers

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
I thought this was interesting, read it on wiki ==

The 400 Unit, is primarily made up of musicians from the Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The band's name comes from the 400 Unit, a colloquial name for the psychiatric ward of Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital in Florence, Alabama. It was originally called the 400 Unit because it was in a separate building from the main three-story hospital.

So Jason named his band after an insane asylum lol. :cool:

Seems appropriate.

sonicsmitty

Tele-Holic
A couple that I like. Here they are playing Never Gonna Change which he wrote and originally recorded when he was with the Drive-by Truckers. The 400 Unit is an excellent band and his fellow guitarist, Sadler Vaden, is top notch too.

Also Decoration Day based on a true modern-day feud, which he also wrote and recorded with DBT. That's his wife playing violin.

I've tried to get tickets to see them in Nashville a couple of times but five or six nights at the Ryman on two different occasions were sold out almost immediately.

Last edited:

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire

Really anything off Southeastern. I think it doesn’t have any weak songs and the good stuff is really good. One of my fave records from the last ten, fifteen years.

Cheers,
Geoff

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
I thought this was interesting, read it on wiki ==

The 400 Unit, is primarily made up of musicians from the Muscle Shoals, Alabama. The band's name comes from the 400 Unit, a colloquial name for the psychiatric ward of Eliza Coffee Memorial Hospital in Florence, Alabama. It was originally called the 400 Unit because it was in a separate building from the main three-story hospital.

So Jason named his band after an insane asylum lol. :cool:

Seems appropriate.

He used to see the inpatients from the 400 Unit getting taken in to town on their bus for a weekly outing and as they were getting off, they'd each receive their spending allowance and off they'd go to the mall etc. Isbell was needing a name for his new band and one day when they were getting out of the van and he was handing out their per diem (think he said it was embarrassingly paltry at the time) he was thinking "where have I seen this before? That's right, the 400 Unit!"