1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Jason Isbell 2021 Custom Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Switters, Jan 16, 2021.

1. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

So, both the Isbell and Hynde models sport rosewood fretboards. Both have 7.25 radius. Both have "vintage tall" frets.

With the trend for 9,5 and higher radius. Is the vintage tall on a 7.25 somewhat of a compensation per se? From a playability standpoint for people that would prefer a flatter radius?

I have 7.25 necks with standard vintage frets that work just fine.

I'm not a big fan of the road worn. I can beat up a guitar just fine on my own.

2. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

He's pretty popular with the Xer crowd I run with, anyway. He carved is way into my musical consciousness with the Drive by Truckers in the early/mid-2000s.

RyCo1983, RomanS and BorderRadio like this.
  3. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

I guess maybe I would pay it if it felt and sounded like "the one". I've never been interested in signature models of any guitars though. I figure that most famous players got their sound from an off the shelf model anyway, so the manufacturer is just capitalizing on it.

capgun likes this.
  4. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Fair enough, but resale value is where we differ, because I seldom sell any of my gear. When I buy a guitar, I'm planning on keeping it for life. I still have a '70s SG and Stratocaster that I purchased new.

5. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Me too. I like his music but never associated a Tele with his sound.

And this 'Signature' model is quite unremarkable. :oops:

6. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like Jason Isbell's music both with DBT and the 400 Unit, but he's obviously a First Act guy :lol:

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No diss to the man but that was during the dark days...lol

Dan German and djh22 like this.
  8. WYfish

WYfish Tele-Meister

Isbell played this guitar a lot during his tours for southeastern and something more than free. There’s a great rig rundown ( the first) where he talks about it. Definitely has an Arsenal of sweet guitars. Seen him a bunch and never noticed a big college hipsters scene at his shows. Overall seemed to me that the people who follow him seem to be of all ages and pretty into music. If you get a chance to see him do it.

RyCo1983, Telecentric, RomanS and 4 others like this.
  9. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I like that model a lot. My main electric is an AV62RI Custom Tele I bought used quite a few years back, so I dig the look + neck etc. Have fun with that nice axe!

Switters likes this.
  10. Racer5

Racer5 Tele-Afflicted

I did not need to see this. I love Jason and this is incredible looking.

Switters likes this.
  11. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

How could a guitar player not know who Jason Isbell is?

I'm confused. I could be having the worst day, but when I hear his voice in song, I know things are going to get better.

+

Anyway, I have this all figured out: Jason will eventually have a Signature Model of every single guitar model that ever been made. Why not? He's played them all.

13. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

He is the guy that played Ed King's Sweet Home Alabama strat. The Red Eye 59 Les Paul he bought from Ed King's collection is in the background.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    RyCo1983 and RomanS like this.
  14. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like his music and his playing and he also comes across as a great guy overall.

This is a cool looking guitar. I prefer white pickguards on sunburst teles but the black one certainly gives it a special look.

RomanS and boris bubbanov like this.
  15. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Beautiful guitar, yet personally I could never convince myself to buy a $1500... Mexican telecaster.

16. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Watched his Austin City Limits performance a while back and I think he uses the Tele on there. He has good tone. I enjoy some of the songs, but his lyrics are often where he shines most.

RomanS likes this.
  17. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

He did a video about his guitars this summer, the video quality is horrible, but he talks pretty affectionately about a few vintage Telecasters in his collection. I haven't seen him play one very much, but I think that's just because no one has been seen playing very much in the last 10 months.

18. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

He hasn't used his Duesenberg actively for some time now.
    I believe he still takes it overseas, but he tends to favour his vintage guitars nowadays.

Can't blame him. He is one of the reasons that I gravitated to a Duesenberg!

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was just thinking about one time, I saw Jason and the 400s at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. It was a fantastic performance but you know, I think he played that Les Paul he's been having, most of the time or maybe the whole show but more to the point, it didn't actually matter. The musical performance simply transcended whatever choice of instruments he and his band used that day. It simply doesn't matter, at least with this artist. As long as it works and he likes it, I'm satisfied. The same observation, for Jason and Amanda's live performance 6+ months ago at the Ryman that was streamed and I heard it on NPR a couple times. Darned if I assigned any brain cells to what gear they used.

If you're playing and the audience is mostly checking out your gear, it could well mean you have the wrong audience. Or it could mean the spell you are trying to cast, isn't working.

John Owen likes this.
  20. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

lyrically, he is possibly the greatest living songwriter. For proof, I highly suggest his songs “If We Were Vampires” and “Elephant”. They are two of the saddest yet prettiest songs I’ve ever heard. He was also previously in Drive By Truckers, a good band in their own right.

“Telecaster sound”-wise, not sure his playing or sound inspires me to buy his Tele model. But yeah, he is one fantastic songwriter.

RyCo1983 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.