Jason Aldean trying some Petty

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Strato50, Oct 8, 2017.

1. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree that this had to have been a terrible thing for him, and indeed, anyone associated with the show. What happened is still unimaginable in so many ways.

But, what happened there doesn't mean that Aldean is beyond criticism. I doubt he's making decisions about where to appear and what to sing on his own. Nobody ever thought to tell him, hey, this song really isn't your speed?

It was an awful rendition of the song; Set that aside for a moment. Who thought Aldean would be the right person to do a tribute to Petty? And, to me, the timing was really, really bad, and maybe suspicious. I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder if Aldean and / or his handlers didn't see this as an opportunity to keep him in the continuing conversation.

As for I Won't Back Down being sung by him as a response to Los Vegas. No, not buying it. I can't imagine anyone having an ego of that magnitude given that his performance last Sunday is on video for all to see. No, this was all really clumsy marketing. I would hope that he's feeling pretty foolish by now. But, I doubt it.

I really don't care about this. We've all seen so much phony baloney nonsense in the music world that it's hard not to wonder, though.

Endless Mike and Strato50 like this.
  2. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Is there a link to his rendition? Where was it performed?

3. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

You don't have to be a chef to know when a dish tastes bad.

Uncle Bob, nojazzhere and RyCo1983 like this.
  4. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Well for what it's worth NBC showed a SNL episode from 1981 where Tom Petty was that night's act during prime time before this night's live broadcast. I only saw the last five minutes before the local news. I would have liked to have watched all of it but NBC decided not to announce it I guess.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  5. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Those guys are Country Music? Man, I don't wanna even talk about it.

Doug 54, RyCo1983 and brookdalebill like this.
  6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Caution he uses some bad words :rolleyes: but its pretty spot on:

7. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It wasn’t just a Petty tribute and it wasn’t just a Vegas tribute. The sad fact is the two events are inextricably linked based ONLY on timing. I know I’m not the only one who lost his s#!t over the Petty news to a much greater extent than I probably would have BECAUSE of the shock, outrage, anger, confusion, etc that I was already feeling over the Vegas massacre but hadn’t been able to really process to just get down to the level of deep human sadness that was buried by all of those other feelings. It was unimaginable so it was also un-processable on its own. The Petty news was so easily understandable and just flat out sad on a basic human level that it helped, hell, forced a lot of us to find and unleash the just soul shredding sadness of that whole day.

The Vegas event would have probable been “just another” horribly insane gun atrocity that we’ve grown impossibly accustomed to without Petty going down that same day. I don’t even know whether he just had a massive heart attack in his sleep or if he woke up just long enough to see the Vegas news and that was the straw (or A last straw) that broke the camel’s back of a heart that was well on its way anyhow. I don’t know if his family knows, I very obviously don’t - but the thought definitely crossed my mind. Because I’m still a pretty healthy younger guy than he was and I was a physical wreck that day myself, with Vegas obviously being at least a big part of the cause. so I at least imagine that possibility, understanding that’s ALL I’m doing.

Whether Aldean can sing that song, or ANY song, worth a damn for your taste or mine is totally beside the point. He can perform his music well enough to draw thousands of people into a confined space to be gunned down so publically by one more insane man with a somehow legal arsenal of weapons of war. Like it or not he was in the middle of the whole thing, regularly performs THAT, of all Petty songs, and it made perfect sense for SNL to ask him to do it on their show the next week. For BOTH the victims of Vegas (those present and the many millions of us who became lower-scale trauma victims from a distance) and, by association, for Petty, who probably did also mean a lot to Aldean as he did to millions of us fans.

I played and sang that, and many other Petty songs last week to help myself process all of this and I guarantee I sounded a thousand time worse than Aldean... And that doesn’t matter either.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    brbadg, tery and matrix like this.
  8. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Mr Raysachs, with respect to your post above....hell yeah brother. Thanks for saying it so eloquently.

raysachs and tery like this.
  9. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

It’s funny, I was never a big Petty fan, never owned a record or played his songs. Once I heard his Sirius show I fell in love with the guy. What a great taste in music he had. Him and Mike were just masters of tone. Boy did they make that vintage gear sound great. I was at my acoustic jammin buddy’s house last Weds and he ask me if I knew any Petty stuff. I didn’t think I did and then proceeded to pull 5 or 6 songs out of my butt. Knew most of the lyrics too. Surprised the heck out of me. Toms music will be around for ever. Bro country not so much.

10. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

I thought he did it alright. It wasn't fabulous, but it was okay.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  11. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

He played a lot of good stuff ...I never heard Jason Aldean on there.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I just went on youtube.com.....searched for "jason aldean saturday night live"

13. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Yeah, the flat singing bothered me too. Sounded like the way someone might sing it if they expected a studio to go over it later and auto-tune it with some pitch correction software.

Still, IMO it's the thought that counts. I don't think Tom Petty would be outraged. Even famous musicians do a bad performance now and then.

brbadg likes this.
  14. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

15. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Truly spot on! Good post!

16. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I know you don't need me to tell you you're right, but you're right.

17. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Any excuse to bash current country music will be met with great enthusiasm.

brbadg, FenderLover and Grux like this.
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yea, the title and the song were appropo. Both have meaning.
    Who cares if he was off key..
    Bandmembers in our band won't let me sing.
    lol

SolidSteak likes this.
  19. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

It was a well-intended gesture, but it just reminded me why I don't like the guy. He's a hack.

brbadg and Grux like this.
  20. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

He gave what he had, which I thought was good. I see he's back in Vegas visiting hospitals, seeing victims.
    Thumpers rule here kids.

OlRedNeckHippy, MickM and tery like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.