Jason Aldean trying some Petty

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Strato50, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry the dude could not hit those high notes.,,and this is their Entertainer of the year?...way better talent out there....the band sounded good though.

brbadg likes this.
  2. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Saw part of it. In light of the circumstances that led him to perform the song, let alone play on the show at all, you may have missed the point. I’ll give him an “A” for effort regardless.

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I could only watch a few seconds.

Doug 54, brookdalebill and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Haven't heard it but I did see him open for Keith Urban a few years back. Hadn't heard of him at the time but he put on a good show.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Just went to youtube because of this post....listened for about 30 seconds. I understand and appreciate the sentiment and desire to honor Tom Petty, but this was a "fail". If I was in a local dive/bar and the band went into this song, sounding like that, I'm out the door. I'm sure Jason Aldean has his fans and sells tons of records and concert tickets, but he just doesn't have the chops to play "real" music. I have heard local singers do better jobs on this and other covers, and Saturday Night Live could have, with a little effort, brought someone in to pay tribute to Tom. Or, they could have re-played one of Tom's previous performances on SNL. This was just embarrassing.....

6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I applaud Jason Aldean ... the song was performed in answer to Las Vegas .

7. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wasn't great, but y'all picking on the guy are turds.

8. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, shame on all of you for expecting a musician to be able to carry a tune.

Seriously, get over it. It was a lousy performance. He was a bystander Sunday night, and he sure wasn't the star of that performance on SNL. The band sounded good, he was barely even there.

You can't make the guy a hero by association if all he did was stand there dumbfounded, then scuttle off stage. It was horrible, it shouldn't have happened. I don't know how to express that sentiment in any stronger terms. But Aldean wasn't a factor at all in what happened other than, maybe, his ability to draw a crowd.

dr_tom, Grux, RyCo1983 and 2 others like this.
  9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Glad he didn't try "Breakdown"

Doug 54, RyCo1983 and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

EDIT: If you can't say something nice, do no harm, etc.

I think we're seeing cracks in the facade created by the use of the various means Nashville uses to polish and correct the artists they create.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Doug 54 and nojazzhere like this.
  11. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

FWIW, its a regular item in his set list...

Doug 54 likes this.
  12. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Agreed. No doubt the song isn't in his wheelhouse as a singer but the band did it well, and it was a great gesture to both Vegas & Petty.

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's a lot of words to justify being a turd lol. Kidding. Never said he was a hero and I'm not even a fan. Had a bad week and he obviously isn't blessed with a very impressive vocal range. Still kind of a rotten time, out of the copious amount of opportunities at TDPRI, to slag on him in my opinion. You seem to disagree with that and that's fine too.

14. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Damn, some of you dudes must be some badass players and singers. I'll wait for the links to your videos.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

You're right....we shouldn't be raggin' on the guy for filling in at the last minute and not being prepared or capable. I would be in the same position if I was called on to perform the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto in D in a pinch....I haven't touched a violin in 45 years.....

16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Well, I for one edited my post. I stand by my statement about Nashville, as that has essentially been proven true for me. But I will admit being wrong in bagging on someone. There's enough negative talk here without my adding to it.

I regret and retract my previous comment about JA specifically.

tery likes this.
  17. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I think the band was good...he was flat..and sang one of my idols songs bad that's all...lol...and Nashville pumps this kind of stuff out when the good talent can't buy a record deal. Its all show and no go with modern country. Tight jeans and a cowboy hat...and minimal talent.

Jonzilla, Grux, Mechanic and 2 others like this.
  18. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

19. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

No shock there.

20. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I don't get the negativity here either. I watched the performance. I'm no fan of modern country/pop music, and I couldn't pick Aldean out of a lineup at the CMAs. BUT there's two reasons he chose this song: 1) Tom Petty died this week, as in the Sunday between the shooting in Vegas and the Saturday night he performed. 2) "Backdown" is the perfect song to sing after a terrorist incident. It incites patriotism and a strong spirit.

now, about the performance. The band sounded good. Aldean sounded like a modern country singer, and I don't mean that as a complement, but I don't mean that as disparaging either. I'm compeletly MEH about it. It sounds exactly as I would expect him to sound. BUT I don't get why his performance leads to the negativity on this thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.