1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Japanese Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by strat123, Jul 2, 2016.

1. strat123

strat123 TDPRI Member

I started out a Les Paul type of guitar player. In the mid 1980's, I started to gravitate towards stratocasters and I've been a strat player ever since. However, sometime in the mid to late 1980's I bought a Japanese telecaster. It was a really nice one and one of a few guitars that I've owned with no issues. I knew it was a good guitar, there was nothing wrong with it. For some reason that to this very day I can't explain I never was able to bond with that guitar. About 25 years later I bought an American Standard telecaster and I absolutely love it. I mainly play it for jazz and for me it has a beautiful tone. That Japanese Telecaster is 1 guitar I wish I had never sold. If you've had a similar experience I'd love to hear about that. All comments are welcome.

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I was in Denmark St, 1995. I nipped into Andy's en route to meeting and I spotted a '62 MIJ sunburst.

It had been owned as a back-up guitar by a pro, was the story. It was £425 which I didn't have hanging around at the time. But I played it and it was one of the most perfect playing guitars I'd ever played and had clearly had a pro set-up.

The frets had been flattened a little to give it a fret radius of about 10, it had 10s on it and it played beautifully, sounded really very classic telecaster. It was also flawlessly built. I bought it on the spot getting the £25 off and a spare set of strings. The guy in the shop (not Andy) told me as I was leaving that he had earmarked if for himself was a bit p**** off that I'd bough it it.

I still have it. It's an '85 model. It's been gigged, been a studio staple, dinged a bit, dropped, borrowed, chucked about. Never ever thought about selling it. The only change I have made is an SD Jerry Donahue in the bridge (took off the logo) and SD STR-2 in the neck as the original bridge pup was a little weak and microphonic.

Here it is.

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

IMG_5217.JPG
    IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5220.JPG

Captain Simian likes this.
  3. coffeecycle22

coffeecycle22 TDPRI Member

Very nice tele, and strat123 think there will be many a tale of the one that got away.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

The guitar I most regret selling was a 1968 Gibson SG Special P90s.

At the time (1979) it was my only guitar and I bought it for about £260. It was a fantastic guitar. I used it going straight, no effects, into a Marshall MkII 50w stack. (still have that!). That combo was so crunchy and well matched, I could get lots of classic rock and blues sounds just varying the controls on both.

but

I got heavily into Hendrix and just had to have a Strat. So it got part-exed for a sparkly new USA Olympic white Fender Strat. And I did not regret that for a second then.. only the last 10 years do I look back on that and think was there anyway i could have got some money together to keep the Gibbo? So I bought a Gibson SG Classic to relive that whole thing and I don;t regret that either as it has slightly compensated for missing out on the SG Special. Would still like it back though.

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I just love the MIJ teles and strats of the 90's.
    Those 60's 50's ones. Shure they're polyester.
    They're pups are a bit weak, but I liked them.
    But in every other way, they made a very accurate vintage feel, and feel is most important.
    Only one of ten American/Mexican fenders do it for me.
    Any MIJ works for me.
    My 50th anny v neck Japtele and me will never part.
    Steve Cropper agrees, btw.

6. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

I'm sorry, but this post is just wrong. Am I crazy? As the "Dude" would say, "not the preferred nomenclature....Japanese

7. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Nomenclature....you want the book of the week forum...:)

8. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Must depend where you are in the world. In the UK the shortened version of Japanese was always used. Things may have changed now, I no longer buy guitar mags. It was only when I joined this forum, I discovered an issue with the term.

9. strat123

strat123 TDPRI Member

The tele in the picture above looks very similar to my own Japanese Telecaster. These are fine guitars, I will probably end up buying another one in the not so distant future.

10. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I sold a Japanese tele last year, very basic black TL-40 from the '93. I convinced myself the neck hurt my hands, I didn't like the colour, and the fretwork I had done meant I was up for more than I wanted. I broke even from what was originally a bargain. The guts were on their last legs too. I loved the small frets though, resonated well, and the pickups were kind of zingy enough to be interesting. I had a lingering regret about that guitar.

So last week one exactly the same came up very cheaply. All the things that bothered me before don't now. Still needs new guts but otherwise it's ushering my CVC out the door.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.