1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Japanese Tele Custom w/Bigsby

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by telemenow, Aug 2, 2013.

1. telemenow

telemenow Tele-Meister

Has anyone here had any experience with these guitars? Looks like a take-off on a '62...do you know when these were made, and what it may be worth? It's being offered to me, and it looks like a nice Tele!

Attached Files:

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

3. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

These were imported to the uk in 2008 too. Don't get any change out of £700 for them over here.

4. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

I have that exact model!

Mine is MIJ w. T+6 serial number. I always thought that meant mine was a '94 or '95 but it looks like it may indeed be a 2008 or so model. I bought it ~ 2010 I think, used from Mak'n Music in Chicago but it was pretty much mint with pickguard still covered with film. Maybe someone can help me date it properly.

Beautiful fits and finishes and actually stays in tune better than any other guitar I own, even after a good Bigs bang or two!

Mine is heavy though and has a somewhat thin neck, though I think neck carve is standard '62 C shape (I'm digging fat necks a lot these days so everything is felling thin nex to my '52 MJT clone).

Pickups are very clean sounding, but are nice and work well under gain too. I paid a little too much for it at ~$850 w/ no case but I really dig it. Its a very high quality guitar.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. wilbarreid

wilbarreid TDPRI Member

They also did a 50's model, it's quite heavy too but probably because of the bigsby. V shaped neck.

Attached Files:

6. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

The font used for the "MIJ" decal differs between the pre-1997 era and the post-2007 era (see pictures below -image courtesy of jwells, the top one is a pre 1997. bottom pic shows a 2008 model). The font on your decal, as well as the info provided on Fender Japan official site would indicate a 2007-2010 model (s/n T0 + 5 digits)(http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/support.html)
    [​IMG]

7. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Thanks Kinkstah! Very helpful and now I know! Cool. So mines likely a 2008 given that this was only year apparently Fender Japan experted these as per above. Makes sense too given the condition this thing was in when I bought it which was effectively new despite being on consignment.

To the OP - I'd say if you are able to play the one you posted and like it, $750-$800 would be a pretty fair price if in good condition. They are as I note above very high quality instruments sold back in 2008 for ~$1K and listing on the site linked above for ~$1200USD equiv.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.