Japanese Semi hollows

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 61fury, May 22, 2020.

1. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Pics from pawn shop. An "Encore" and a "Univox", same bridge on both, same neck plate. Both were in excellent condition, right down to the frets and action. The bridge features pick a string spacing, very thoughtful. Univox on right, Encore left
    semi hollows sweetwater.jpg

Overall the Encore appeals to me more, the headstock, the pickup blend switch ( took me a day to figure out that S and R means solo and rhythm, if that's what it does mean), the pick ups, and the aluminum knobs. The burst on the Encore is more subtle, but the burst on the Univox has flame
    But the Univox has this, which I've never seen before, a maple bolt neck with a heel.
    semihollow Vox neck heel bolt on.jpg

I would buy them both but there is no need, or room for more guitars in my world. Mere pics do not suffice for the joy of ownership though

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

That hideous purple strap would have to go .

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

If you buy them both, you can pretend they're one guitar whenever questioned.........

;)

61fury and Wallaby like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A fun dilemma. Nice that they are both at the same pawn shop to compare. I think I would go with feel of the neck and resonance unplugged to make the choice. Good luck.

5. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I'd swap the Univox neck onto the Encore. Except for the headstock on the Encore, I really prefer that to a generic Gibson style barber shop quartet mustache...Hmm, dilemma.
    I was at work so no time for other than a few awkward strangled strums. It's obvious to me the same guy owned both, look how tidy the peg heads look, and both guitars are clean and pristine. They really stood out from the usual pawn shop suspects, the First Acts, the Starcasters, the Bullet Strats and the Epi single cut humbuckers . Also Peaveys

Last edited: May 22, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.