Japanese "New Music"

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
So the zoomers are all on this "city pop" tip, which is like early 80s boogie type of stuff from Japan (my sister was asking me about Miki Matsubara's Mayonaka no Door the other day, I guess it became a tiktok thing).

I mean I'm still reasonably on the city pop tip, but a lot of the late 70s r&b type pop that was more "western" and referred to as "new music" that was the predecessor to the excesses of the 80s is seriously tight. Benson-y vibes, EW&F vibes, etc.

Any fellow TDPRI's dig? Any recs or favorites?

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Interesting, oddly machine tight and not very greasy for soul

Needs more funk or something?

Censport

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
Liked Japanese pop back in the 80s (well, later too), so it's a nostalgia trip for me. Didn't understand the language back then, so I didn't really keep track of the artists.

Doomguy

Tele-Meister
I love and can spout off about the larger Japanese metal scene for days (a couple punk bands too). This isn't my wheelhouse at all but I love anything promoting Japanese culture/music. I took three years of Japanese back in high school, have been fond of it since.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
The drummer in my band turned me onto For Tracy Hyde. They’re great.

That’s the extent of my knowledge, other than Baby Metal, if that even counts.

I’d like to know more. Japan has always been one of the places I’d most like to visit, and their culture interests me.