Japanese Breakfast?

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
Interesting. Maybe that's part of it for me. I'll have to think more about that in terms of my preferences.

I can confidently assert that I've rarely used vibrato and prefer long notes in my own songs and singing. Hmmm...
Another singer that just came to mind who does this is Neko Case. If you happen to enjoy her, we may have discovered a pattern. :)

Flip G

Tele-Holic
I'm a fan. Next season I'd really like SNL to mix in a few more indie pop/rock bands along all the pop/hip-hop.

I've said it here before, but there's a ton of new music that's not overly programmed or autotuned to death. I took my teenage daughter to see her favorite artist, Mitski, a couple of months ago and there were several thousand super enthusiastic mostly teenage fans of music being sung and performed completely live.
Bleachers did a great job of getting the audience excited. That moment felt to me like everybody was ready to dive headfirst into the live music scene once again. Their whole Bruce Springsteen vibe seemed to be what the world needed back in January 2022. :)

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
Another singer that just came to mind who does this is Neko Case. If you happen to enjoy her, we may have discovered a pattern. :)
I've heard her name but I don't think I've heard her music...I'll have to check her out.

I am a huge Aldous Harding fan. Come to think of it she didn't use much vibrato on her last couple albums.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
Bleachers did a great job of getting the audience excited. That moment felt to me like everybody was ready to dive headfirst into the live music scene once again. Their whole Bruce Springsteen vibe seemed to be what the world needed back in January 2022. :)

I saw that one. That was a legit and energetic performance. I'm still undecided on Jack Antonoff and his band & his production choices.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
SNL? Lizzo? Some girly Asian pop group calling themselves "Japanese Breakfast"?
At least now I know who's buying all the Paranormal Jazzmasters.

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
I've heard her name but I don't think I've heard her music...I'll have to check her out.

I am a huge Aldous Harding fan. Come to think of it she didn't use much vibrato on her last couple albums.

Great song. I think what all these artists have in common is just really strong, clear melodies, without feeling the need to decorate them too much.

Here's Neko:

Chuckster

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Mrs. Chuckster is a huge fan and says her book "Crying in H Mart" is excellent... I'll have to give it a read.

I thought her performance was very good as well, far better than the dozens of lip-syncers and fake Danelectro smashers.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
SNL? Lizzo? Some girly Asian pop group calling themselves "Japanese Breakfast"?
At least now I know who's buying all the Paranormal Jazzmasters.
Here's an internet award!

th-3540727058.jpg

jays0n

Friend of Leo's
I really like their early stuff and my youngest kid likes they latest two albums, so they are on a lot around the house. Live they are great.

I recommend their erlier stuff though:

Last edited:

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's

I think it's really hard to perform live music on SNL given the tiny stage and audience, weird sound issues, and the distance between performer and audience. I loved how hard Jack Antonoff and Bleachers went for it on SNL, although the Springsteen pastiche isn't to my taste.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
Tee hee hee ...

All this talk about lip-synching on SNL made me want to go back and watch the Ashlee Simpson debacle again. All these years later, it's still the sweetest of epic fails. 😈

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Very talented.

A lot better than whatever alternative would be there, instead.

Still don't understand the name of the band. #1 Rule - don't send people off the in wrong direction with your chosen name(s).

jays0n

Friend of Leo's
Very talented.

A lot better than whatever alternative would be there, instead.

Still don't understand the name of the band. #1 Rule - don't send people off the in wrong direction with your chosen name(s).
Michelle has explained it in interviews. She was in a different band and Japanese Breakfast was just a project she started on the side (the first Cassette album was 30 songs, one a day for all of June). I think she had a ... clip art or icon or image of a Japanese Breakfast, and just called her project that. Then it took off and she was stuck with the name.