Japanese Breakfast?

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
I saw Japanese Breakfast on SNL last week. I typically give the musical act a chance, but lately I end up Fast-Forwarding through the likes of Post Malone, Arcade Fire, Gunna, etc. I don't think I made it through Maneskin. I watched the first Lizzo performance all the way through, but it felt suspiciously like some kind of reinvented disco. Lizzo's second song was more like a confusing spectacle or parody than a example of watching for musical appreciation reasons.

So I'd heard of Japanese Breakfast, but hadn't heard the music, or Michelle (the singer/songwriter). It REALLY isn't my typical kind of music, but Michelle was actually singing. No lip sync or auto-tune nonsense. Maybe she could have been a bit louder in the mix, but she was nailing it. There was a kind of naive exuberance in the performance and in her voice that I found refreshing. I watched both performances. After they were done I was interested.

Just wondering if anyone else liked that performance, or has heard the latest album?

Flip G

Tele-Holic
I'm a devoted fan of hers. The first song I discovered was "Boyish," (which features the terrific line "I can't get you off my mind. / I can't get you off in general.") then I went through her back catalog and discovered "Road Head", which is probably my favourite. She did a Tiny Desk Concert that's worth multiple views. Then was featured in Entertainment Weekly when she wrote a semi-autobiographical novel. Appeared on the NPR news quiz show "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me." I, too, saw those last acts on SNL and was horrified. Charlie XCX sounded too amazing. Didn't take long to realize that SHE was lip-synching. :( I'll have to check out SNL's latest episode. I assume one of the songs Japanese Breakfast did was "Be Sweet" which is the band's latest single and has a fun video based on the X-Files.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I saw Japanese Breakfast on SNL last week. I typically give the musical act a chance, but lately I end up Fast-Forwarding through the likes of Post Malone, Arcade Fire, Gunna, etc. I don't think I made it through Maneskin. I watched the first Lizzo performance all the way through, but it felt suspiciously like some kind of reinvented disco. Lizzo's second song was more like a confusing spectacle or parody than a example of watching for musical appreciation reasons.

So I'd heard of Japanese Breakfast, but hadn't heard the music, or Michelle (the singer/songwriter). It REALLY isn't my typical kind of music, but Michelle was actually singing. No lip sync or auto-tune nonsense. Maybe she could have been a bit louder in the mix, but she was nailing it. There was a kind of naive exuberance in the performance and in her voice that I found refreshing. I watched both performances. After they were done I was interested.

Just wondering if anyone else liked that performance, or has heard the latest album?
I first saw them a couple years ago performing Wilco's 'Jesus Etc.' and became a fan pretty quickly.

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
I saw her live a few years back. She's great. Awesome personality as well; she has some very devoted fans and she made time to talk to each and every one of them.

She's written a memoir, which is getting turned into a movie, she's directed a bunch of music videos for herself and others, she made a video game soundtrack and a new record since then. Oh and I think she hosted some kind of cooking show as well? Point being, she's a very impressive and hardworking person.

Apologies for sounding like her publicist, LOL.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
This is the individual who helped kick off the kerfuffle over TC Electronics' "P-Melter" Toneprint setting, correct?

Doesn't sound like the sort of thing I'd be into.

Also, look up "Japanese Breakfast" on Urban Dictionary. Not at work, though.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter

Like you.... compared with the others it was at least a bit refreshing to hear someone actually sing...

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
This is the individual who helped kick off the kerfuffle over TC Electronics' "P-Melter" Toneprint setting, correct?

I did just look it up. But, having lived in Japan for 12 years, I can say that noodles are not usually part of a traditional Japanese breakfast.

hepular

Tele-Afflicted

one of my fave albums of the last year. Michele Zauner is also a good writer, with a really good memoir out.

takauya

Tele-Meister
I don't know but they sound like one of those 90s Dream Pop bands. I'm not too familiar with the genre though.

sabuchan

TDPRI Member
On the last week's SNL ,Michelle Zauner, the lead singer, appeared in a sketch with a cool Danelectro guitar besides performing 2 songs with the band.

Attachments

• SNL_JB.jpg
    SNL_JB.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 21

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
I checked out the latest JB album Jubilee. I like it. I am still not sure exactly why. As I suggested above, this really isn't my usual type of music, but I like it. I think it is centered on some quality of her voice that I am digging. I think it is the way she is a little sharp in a pleasing way. I mean, I love Kate Pierson's voice as well.

It is refreshing to hear modern music that isn't completely pitch shifted and processed and homogenized to oblivion becoming successful in a more mainstream sense. It feels like actually having melodic aspects beyond some repeated simple 2-3 note hook is what is missing in a lot of modern heavily marketed pop music.

Sometimes I get a feeling similar to Warpaint's music from Jubilee, other times I get suggestions of feelings like music I remember from the 80's.

I heard "Like a Virgin" somewhere the other day. I went home and actually listened to it for probably the first time in 4 decades.

I noticed the groove and swing that the live drumming had. I thought about the synth sounds, which pretty tasty and fat and were somewhat new at the time. Madonna's vocals aren't perfect, she is also a little sharp sometimes, but that's kinda what made it work. I'm not rushing out to get any Madonna records, but it gave me a sense that what I once considered to be annoying and disposable pop perhaps gave me a reference or subtextual influence that I never realized was there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not chucking Trout Mask Replica or my Melt Banana, Dead Kennedys, Miles Davis, Cannibal Corpse, XTC, The Fall, and Wipers records in the bin anytime soon. But I do think there's space for Japanese Breakfast in my collection.

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
I think it is centered on some quality of her voice that I am digging. I think it is the way she is a little sharp in a pleasing way.
Her voice is quite bright, but I've also noticed she basically does not do vibrato. She'll hit a high long note and just let it sit there. It's kind of refreshing as that kind of thing can be overdone, and many singer prefer to show off their runs and whatnot.

I'm not too familiar with Kate Pierson beyond the hits.. but I just listened to Roam again and notice a lot of those vibrato-less sustained notes as well.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted
Her voice is quite bright, but I've also noticed she basically does not do vibrato. She'll hit a high long note and just let it sit there. It's kind of refreshing as that kind of thing can be overdone, and many singer prefer to show off their runs and whatnot.

I'm not too familiar with Kate Pierson beyond the hits.. but I just listened to Roam again and notice a lot of those vibrato-less sustained notes as well.
Interesting. Maybe that's part of it for me. I'll have to think more about that in terms of my preferences.

I can confidently assert that I've rarely used vibrato and prefer long notes in my own songs and singing. Hmmm...

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
There is a lot of love for Japanese Breakfast in our house. Loved seeing the performance on SNL last week.

Also loved seeing Arcade Fire a few weeks ago. I'm a latecomer to Arcade Fire. I didn't like them for more than a decade, but loved their Everything Now album, which prompted me to delve into their previous albums.

I thought I was going to like Post Malone, but if his SNL performance is representative of his music, its probably not for me.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's

Horrible, IMO.

THX1123

Tele-Afflicted

I hadn't heard about said Toneprint kerfuffle, or whatever the Urban Dictionary definition is. I don't think I'll look them up - especially at work, but I am kind of interested in the Toneprint thing.

I wrote a song called "Crumbs in the Butter." We recorded it. You can probably find it if you want to, it is on all the platforms and I also shared it on TDPRI a while back in the appropriate forum. I think it came out very well. It is about having an OCD girlfriend who would became furious with me when I would leave crumbs in the butter, and then how the angry sex was awesome.

Then my creepy friend Glen looked it up on the Urban Dictionary and told me what some rando defined that phrase as. Glen now refuses to believe that it is just about her being mad about toast crumbs in the butter and how well we suited each other in the physical sense.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I'm a fan. Next season I'd really like SNL to mix in a few more indie pop/rock bands along all the pop/hip-hop.

I've said it here before, but there's a ton of new music that's not overly programmed or autotuned to death. I took my teenage daughter to see her favorite artist, Mitski, a couple of months ago and there were several thousand super enthusiastic mostly teenage fans of music being sung and performed completely live.