Japan and wackiness.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Not whacky, sensible, especially in a cold climate. I liked it when I visited, I could shave. Just so unusual when you come from hot Australia. Today was a mild day , 32C ( 89.6 C ) . Need to shower early and later in the day. Air- conditioning or perish here.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned about Japan that's really smart are the bathtubs. Like a chump, I'm a tub slave. When I run the water I have to constantly adjust the temperature. It starts off cold then gets too hot. I have to paddle the water in the tub and judge the result, adjust and adjust some more. Plus, I can't wander off because it will overfill. I've overfilled the tub (or almost) too many times.

Enter the Japanese smart tub. It has a thermostat and remembers how full you want the tub to be. Push a button and go off and do other stuff. It will beep when ready.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
Novelty ? i don't think so. We have mc donalds, burgers kings, and colonel sander here too.
Did you go out of paris a bit ? Paris is some sort of hellhole. So much a hellhole i won't go back there to play music if i can avoid it.

Of course it has the culture and stuffs. As well as all the stuffs you find in every big city, and being a small town sort of guy, it is too stressful. It applies to london, barcelona as well. The only good times i had in big cities were brussels, because belgium folks have their own sort of humour ( check the movie man bites dog movie to see what i mean) and berlin, because it seemed laid back.
Amsterdam and rotterdam were a big mess. People standing 2 meters, high on whatever, slamming into the drumkit while pogoing.

I hope you had a good time in paris though.

Yeah, we had a great time in Paris. We steered clear of most of the typical tourist sites, though. When we travel, we like to explore local neighborhoods and restaurants and do a lot of walking around with no real agenda. Although, I did climb the stairs to the top of the Eiffel Tower and the Arc De Triomphe, and we did go to the Musee d'orsay. Paris is a great walking city to explore. It reminds me a lot of San Francisco in that sense.

Some of our best experiences were just accidentally stumbling upon things. It's how I heard Jacques Dutronc for the first time. We were walking around and saw this little boutique, kind of like a thrift-vintage clothing store that also sold some records and quirky stuff. I was hoping to find some original French pressings of 60s Kinks EPs while shopping in Paris, actually. I asked the proprietor if they had any Kinks records and they said, "No, I'm sorry, but I think you may like this record here". He then pulled out an old 7" and put it on the turntable. It was "Le Responsible". I'll always remember hearing that cool intro riff for the first time. I was hooked immediately. We continued browsing around the store while the record played and at one point, a young twenty-something kid walked in and started bopping his head up and down and enthusiastically exclaimed, "Jacques Dutronc, Jacques Dutronc!!". When we got back to the States, I picked up as much of his entire catalog as I could find.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, we had a great time in Paris. We steered clear of most of the typical tourist sites, though. When we travel, we like to explore local neighborhoods and restaurants and do a lot of walking around with no real agenda. Although, I did climb the stairs to the top of the Eiffel Tower and the Arc De Triomphe, and we did go to the Musee d'orsay. Paris is a great walking city to explore. It reminds me a lot of San Francisco in that sense.

Some of our best experiences were just accidentally stumbling upon things. It's how I heard Jacques Dutronc for the first time. We were walking around and saw this little boutique, kind of like a thrift-vintage clothing store that also sold some records and quirky stuff. I was hoping to find some original French pressings of 60s Kinks EPs while shopping in Paris, actually. I asked the proprietor if they had any Kinks records and they said, "No, I'm sorry, but I think you may like this record here". He then pulled out an old 7" and put it on the turntable. It was "Le Responsible". I'll always remember hearing that cool intro riff for the first time. I was hooked immediately. We continued browsing around the store while the record played and at one point, a young twenty-something kid walked in and started bopping his head up and down and enthusiastically exclaimed, "Jacques Dutronc, Jacques Dutronc!!". When we got back to the States, I picked up as much of his entire catalog as I could find.
Cool story.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire

wow that tune is rocking ! it must be old. There are a few compilations out there called ils sont fous ces gaulois ! you might want to check those out.

And one of the compilation

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I don't approve of you offering candies to your daughter made by a 100 years old candy maker. He deserves some rest !

Cool package though.

edit And they have some big waves in japan. Real big waves.

Though i can recognize the style of playing, it is totally different from the american way. And maybe more awesome.

I thought that said Tedeschi-Trucks at first lol! I'm thinking.... What do Derek & Susan have to do with Japan? :lol: