Japan and wackiness.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I lived in Japan for 5 years in the 1990s. Very interesting place, formative years for me. There is a whole "look at how weird Japan is" thread that runs through decades in Western Media. Japan is a large, heavily populated, wealthy, highly educated, postmodern society just like the US, Canada and Europe, and it has a variety of interesting subcultures too. People party, they dress up. Ever seen SantaCon in New York? The fact that it's in Asia just makes it easier to fetishize somehow. I guess I'm not much fun on this topic because too many people seem a little too into the "look at these funny little Asians" for my comfort level. Maybe I'm oversensitive.

Every Asian country eats some weird s&*^. In Japan that's novelty stuff, most of what gets eaten at home is cabbage & fish soup, fried chicken with rice, and so forth. But i've eaten horse meat sushi, bee larvae, still-wriggling eel (one of the most memorable meals of my life). It's fun to try things!

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
My sister lived and worked in Japan for two years in the 90s. Her small apartment had a heated toilet seat and mirrors in the bathroom. They, her and husband, actually had a bedroom that only fitted a bed but better than a hidden in the wall bed like an ironing board that you pulled out. Wasn't bad actually, very strict, shoes off at the door , wore socks inside.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
Lived there for 12 years. My son was born there. I left in 1994, was last there around five years ago. Many wacky things there, for sure.

Agree with the comment (JL_LI) that the food there is real good, and most (not all) places specialize in one kind of food or other. I miss it. The Japanese food here in San Diego is mostly rather poor, many places actually owned/managed by Chinese or Koreans. It matters.

Agree with Big Daddy LH that Midnight Diner is great. I am on the final season now, of the second version made by Netflix. However, I just ordered the 2 films they made, and will watch them once I'm done with the series. I usually watch it while in my soaking tub, one of the things I used to miss until I did a home remodel and put in a really deep bathtub so I could soak like I used to.

takauya

Tele-Meister
I stumbled upon this channel and watched a few videos. Not sure if the folks are from japan, but those gadjets are sort of .... disposable ?

Not judging, but there is a lot of packaging.

I had this sort of thing here in france, 2 times. One was awesome, the 2nd one they put some coconut milk in the soup, and i had to run upstairs to the bathroom. Do people in japan eat seating down like this ? I don't think i would feel comfy.

Here is the take away / delivered BBQ.

edit this channel has got a few snacks videos as well, but those snacks are a bit funny. At least to me. Then when i see some pictures of what you american folks enjoy, i think they are funny too, so that might be just me.

Well, I didn't watch the full videos but I noticed immediately that the 2nd video is not in Japan, but in China or Taiwan, so I assume this channel is by Chinese or Taiwanese as well.
And, other comments about "Japanese thing" for people outside is true and just fabricated silly stuff. No offence but actually most people from outside prefer Japanese dishes what we consider 2nd or 3rd tier, kind of junk food. We and they have totally different taste, so most Japanese restaurants in other countries unless they are owned by Japanese are 🤮 for us.

Last edited:

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My sister lived and worked in Japan for two years in the 90s. Her small apartment had a heated toilet seat and mirrors in the bathroom. They, her and husband, actually had a bedroom that only fitted a bed but better than a hidden in the wall bed like an ironing board that you pulled out. Wasn't bad actually, very strict, shoes off at the door , wore socks inside.

Er, we have a heated toilet seat and mirrors in our modest home in Canuckistan. And you have to leave your shoes at the door, too, it's also a Canadian thing.

Maybe Japan isn't that wacky after all...

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I stumbled upon this channel and watched a few videos. Not sure if the folks are from japan, but those gadjets are sort of .... disposable ?

Not judging, but there is a lot of packaging.

I had this sort of thing here in france, 2 times. One was awesome, the 2nd one they put some coconut milk in the soup, and i had to run upstairs to the bathroom. Do people in japan eat seating down like this ? I don't think i would feel comfy.

Here is the take away / delivered BBQ.

edit this channel has got a few snacks videos as well, but those snacks are a bit funny. At least to me. Then when i see some pictures of what you american folks enjoy, i think they are funny too, so that might be just me.

no it's not you..it is funny

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Er, we have a heated toilet seat and mirrors in our modest home in Canuckistan. And you have to leave your shoes at the door, too, it's also a Canadian thing.

Maybe Japan isn't that wacky after all...
Not whacky, sensible, especially in a cold climate. I liked it when I visited, I could shave. Just so unusual when you come from hot Australia. Today was a mild day , 32C ( 89.6 C ) . Need to shower early and later in the day. Air- conditioning or perish here.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic

edit if i can remember right, those folks were gathering every sunday in a japan park, but there are fewer and fewer started showing up. Save your japanese rockbillies folks, they are a part of a somehow small history. Keep them vaccininated, and feed them kibbles which are adapted to their teeth. Mainly sandwhiches soaked in beers. Keep them alive.

Mate of mine saw them in the '90s when on tour out there! Class stuff.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
nah, japan is just good at gimmicks.

most eating in japan is something like this:

or diner-y spots with curry and omurice or greasy ramen places, or the odd okonomiyaki/monjayaki spot, tendon/donburi joint, etc. not very different from here in spain with bars & tapas or cafeterĂ­as. if you gave me a choice between sushi or other stuff that gets pushed as japanese food outside of japan, i'd pick the "comfort food" from the motherland every time - that's what they do best.

there is a "real" japan vs what the outside world likes to focus on. search "izakaya" and that's like 80% of what to expect (and what you want, and what is so hard to find proper in the west, especially in europe - the japanese food is so fake and bad here).

Reminds me of this.

Attachments

• 6ewhqzc6j5a61.jpg
    6ewhqzc6j5a61.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 11

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Honestly one of the things that surprised me the most about Japan when I first got here was the absolutely batspit crazy comedy variety shows on TV. Japanese comedians risk life and limb on a regular basis!

I’ve lived almost half my life here now; I think if I ever moved back to the States the reverse culture shock would kill me.