Japan and wackiness.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I stumbled upon this channel and watched a few videos. Not sure if the folks are from japan, but those gadjets are sort of .... disposable ?

Not judging, but there is a lot of packaging.

I had this sort of thing here in france, 2 times. One was awesome, the 2nd one they put some coconut milk in the soup, and i had to run upstairs to the bathroom. Do people in japan eat seating down like this ? I don't think i would feel comfy.

Here is the take away / delivered BBQ.

edit this channel has got a few snacks videos as well, but those snacks are a bit funny. At least to me. Then when i see some pictures of what you american folks enjoy, i think they are funny too, so that might be just me.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I thought this was going to be about World Order!

Apparently, the video of the broth dip was shot in singapore.

World order's choregraphy is on point though.

the music starts at 0'53. I love the tokyo skunx. It is like they took american influences, singing in japanese and english words, and winded up on TV.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
I stumbled upon this channel and watched a few videos. Not sure if the folks are from japan, but those gadjets are sort of .... disposable ?

Not judging, but there is a lot of packaging.

I had this sort of thing here in france, 2 times. One was awesome, the 2nd one they put some coconut milk in the soup, and i had to run upstairs to the bathroom. Do people in japan eat seating down like this ? I don't think i would feel comfy.

Here is the take away / delivered BBQ.

edit this channel has got a few snacks videos as well, but those snacks are a bit funny. At least to me. Then when i see some pictures of what you american folks enjoy, i think they are funny too, so that might be just me.

Yeah, Japanese packaging can be quite excessive.

When my wife and I were in Europe for three weeks for our honeymoon, we spent one week in Paris. One day while walking around and exploring, we stumbled upon an American-style diner called "Breakfast In America", and there was quite a long line line of mostly "Hipster" looking folks waiting to get in. We didn't eat there because it was the exact type of food we didn't want while in Europe (much as I love greasy diner food).

Is "American Food" considered sort of a novelty in France? I thought it was pretty funny.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, Japanese packaging can be quite excessive.

When my wife and I were in Europe for three weeks for our honeymoon, we spent one week in Paris. One day while walking around and exploring, we stumbled upon an American-style diner called "Breakfast In America", and there was quite a long line line of mostly "Hipster" looking folks waiting to get in. We didn't eat there because it was the exact type of food we didn't want while in Europe (much as I love greasy diner food).

Is "American Food" considered sort of a novelty in France? I thought it was pretty funny.
Novelty ? i don't think so. We have mc donalds, burgers kings, and colonel sander here too.
Did you go out of paris a bit ? Paris is some sort of hellhole. So much a hellhole i won't go back there to play music if i can avoid it.

Of course it has the culture and stuffs. As well as all the stuffs you find in every big city, and being a small town sort of guy, it is too stressful. It applies to london, barcelona as well. The only good times i had in big cities were brussels, because belgium folks have their own sort of humour ( check the movie man bites dog movie to see what i mean) and berlin, because it seemed laid back.
Amsterdam and rotterdam were a big mess. People standing 2 meters, high on whatever, slamming into the drumkit while pogoing.

I hope you had a good time in paris though.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
My daughter got this as a Xmas present for me: Bokksu!

I don't approve of you offering candies to your daughter made by a 100 years old candy maker. He deserves some rest !

Cool package though.

edit And they have some big waves in japan. Real big waves.

Though i can recognize the style of playing, it is totally different from the american way. And maybe more awesome.

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
On our honeymoon we spent 2 weeks in the UK. On a day trip out of Oxford we went to Bath. I remember two things primarily:
a) Finding a music shop which had an instructional book in the window: "The Hits of the Doors arranged for tenor saxophone".
b) What appeared to be a small group of Japanese tourists in a cafe, having ordered what looked like hamburgers with fried eggs on top, laughing hysterically and photographing their plates.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Having travelled to 40 countries, I can say this about food. The local cuisine was good to great almost everywhere. “Imported” culinary styles were good or bad in relation to how many people from that country resided in the community. Asian foods in most western countries are nothing like the cuisine the restauranteur is trying to duplicate. In the states, a Japanese restaurant serves a little if everything, some of it good, some just passable. In Japan all restaurants specialize, except “beer” restaurants where salarymen go to drink and eat after work. In those, the food is an afterthought.

So I’ve never starved in my travels. I've eaten things I liked so much I’ve searched for them back home. I’ve eaten things I’ll never eat again, there or here. Even where things are odd, I’ve always found something to like. And sometimes I thought I knew what I was ordering and what was brought to the table was unimaginable, lo mein in a Chinese restaurant in New Brunswick made with elbow macaroni. Or in Quebec City, back bacon and egg on a bagel brought to the table open face with 200ml of maple syrup poured over it. Some kind of local thing, eh.

The real disappointment, though, would be if I went someplace and it turned out to be just like home.

Last edited:

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
nah, japan is just good at gimmicks.

most eating in japan is something like this:

or diner-y spots with curry and omurice or greasy ramen places, or the odd okonomiyaki/monjayaki spot, tendon/donburi joint, etc. not very different from here in spain with bars & tapas or cafeterías. if you gave me a choice between sushi or other stuff that gets pushed as japanese food outside of japan, i'd pick the "comfort food" from the motherland every time - that's what they do best.

there is a "real" japan vs what the outside world likes to focus on. search "izakaya" and that's like 80% of what to expect (and what you want, and what is so hard to find proper in the west, especially in europe - the japanese food is so fake and bad here).

Last edited:

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Having travelled to 40 countries, I can say this about food. The local cuisine was good to great almost everywhere. “Imported” culinary styles were good or bad in relation to how many people from that country resided in the community. Asian foods in most western countries is nothing like the cuisine the restauranteur is trying to duplicate. In the states, a Japanese restaurant serves a little if everything, some of it good, some just passable. In Japan all restaurants specialize except “beer” restaurants where salarymen go to drink and eat after work. In those, the food is an afterthought.

So I’ve never starved in my travels. Ive eaten things I liked so much I’ve searched for them back home. I’ve eaten things I’ll never eat again, there or here. Even where things are odd, I’ve found something to like. And sometimes I thought I knew what I was ordering and what was brought to the table was unimaginable, lo mein in a Chinese restaurant in New Brunswick made with elbow macaroni. Or in Quebec City, back bacon and egg on a bagel brought to the table open with 200ml of maple syrup poured over it. Some kind of local thing, eh.

The real disappointment would be if you went someplace and it turned out to be just like home.
a big hoo haa for that answer.

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Screenshot_20211102-110003~3.png

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire

edit if i can remember right, those folks were gathering every sunday in a japan park, but there are fewer and fewer started showing up. Save your japanese rockbillies folks, they are a part of a somehow small history. Keep them vaccininated, and feed them kibbles which are adapted to their teeth. Mainly sandwhiches soaked in beers. Keep them alive.

Last edited:

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
right is why his models were copied there ! John, you belong in godzilla land !

it feels like a breath of fresh air watching those MIJ rockabillies dance though.

For some even wackier rock and roll, let me get you some psychobilly

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
My family got me this weird thing for Christmas. From the Japan pavilion at Epcot.

Made in China.

So confused.

Attachments

• IMG_20211225_090437599.jpg
    IMG_20211225_090437599.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 23