James - Orange Tonestack?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by JohnnyCrash, Jan 14, 2020.

1. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Anyone built an amp with this preamp/tonestack?

It’s also sometimes called the “passive baxandall.”

Any thoughts on its sound? Amount of gain? Etc.?

2. shortcircuit

shortcircuit Tele-Meister

I've been playing around with the James tonestack for a while. It in my last 5 builds/rebuilds. As you can surmise, I really like it. It's a really lossy tonestack, about -20dB, but I drive it with a cathode follower/mosfet source follower to preserve the highs. With the treble and bass at midpoint, there is a flat response. Crank both up for a familiar mid scoop. Turn them down for a mid hump, but you gotta turn up the gain to make up for the attenuation. I really like the Ampeg values on @robrob's site: https://robrobinette.com/Generic_Tube_Amp_Mods.htm#Baxandall_or_James_Tone_Stack

King Fan and JohnnyCrash like this.
  3. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I gotta agree with Shortcircuit, it's really lossy, but the best one to go from mid scoop to flat to mid peak. It's all about gain after that - when you're flat it's -15dB to -20dB loss. Mid peak means the mids are -20dB and everything else is lower. Just have enough gain to make up and you're good.

robrob, King Fan and JohnnyCrash like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.