James Gang - Live in Concert

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Dan R, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

This is such a great live album. Live records were the order of the day. It was a pretty good idea because it does two things, captures the experience for those who can't attend a concert and makes those want to go to experience the live concert.

On this Friday afternoon I'm feeling some James Gang.

Love Joe Walsh. Met him briefly one time. Class guy all the way. One of the first shows I ever attended was JW, REO Speedwagon and Charlie Daniels. I was 15 and the ticket was $6.00.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Jim W, broadcaster, RoyBGood and 8 others like this.
  2. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Love me some Joe anytime. BTW Fox and Peters weren't slackers either. Also check out the reunion show from 2001 Cleveland if you can find it.

Jim W and beyer160 like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Great stuff, thanks!
    Joe is a hero of mine.
    I never saw the James Gang, but I did see Barnstorm.
    Joe is the consummate master musician.

RoyBGood likes this.
  4. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Thanking for posting this.

I saw them live at Hyde Park London in the early 70s I think, supporting Grand Funk Railroad. James Gang were great.

broadcaster likes this.
  5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

RoyBGood, teleman1 and Wally like this.
  6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I've told it before: When I got into recording engineering and producing, James Gang Producer Bill Szymczyk was one of my biggest influences. He had an interview in Recording Engineer/Producer where he told about this concert: This was the first rock concert ever held at Carnegie Hall and the classical crowd were absolutely incensed by the whole affair. There were actually two nights of concerts back to back and Szymczyk had brought in a recording truck with the intent of recording both nights and picking the best takes from them. However, right before the first night's performance, someone cut all the cables in the snake from the stage to the truck, killing the first night's recording. Szymczyk stayed up all night soldering the cables back together and they posted guards every six feet of the snake to protect it. What you hear is what you got: the album contains one night's performances only. They stuffed everything they could onto that one album, and even cut the album at reduced level and at high cutting pitch to get more on.

And the irony: Before Walsh even arrived in New York he'd already decided he was leaving the band. The band packed up after the second night and headed out for some individual rest and relaxation after a solid year on the road. Walsh tendered his resignation before they ever reconvened. Band management spread the rumor that Walsh had to leave the band to dry out but the truth was that he was tired of being the front man for a power trio and wanted to compose and perform more complicated pieces. He followed Szymczyk to Colorado where Szymczyk had established a short-live record label. A year later he got in a station wagon with first-time manager Irv Azoff and Irv's other find, Danny Fogelberg, and drove to L.A. There, the three of them lived in the station wagon until Irv got each of them record deals, Danny a solo deal and as a member of his band, Barnstorm. Unfortunately, everyone saw Barnstorm as JOE WALSH and "these other guys." Because of these pressures the band broke up after two tours, leaving Joe solo.

Right about that time, Joe's daughter Emma was killed in an auto crash caused by a drunk driver. That also put the final spike in his marriage. ABC records refused to give him time to scoop his injured brains and heart back into his cranium and demanded his first solo album and tour happen on schedule. Barnstorm had been touring with a little ole band called The Eagles so Joe tapped his friends in the The Eagles to help record the album, So What?, which was dedicated to his late daughter Emma and reflected his jaundiced view of the world after the trauma of her death. Meanwhile The Eagles were trying to get rockier. Walsh turned them on to his engineer/producer Szymczyk and then went on tour opening for them for the next year. He has said he spent that year "hating God." Meanwhile, they decided they needed Walsh to up their rock game. The rest, including the chainsaw with road case that the band gave Joe on his birthday to redecorate hotel rooms, is history...

Bob

RoyBGood, Deathray, teleman1 and 6 others like this.
  7. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

My favorite James Gang anything:

Jim W, broadcaster, RoyBGood and 5 others like this.
  8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Norlin era Les Paul Standard pushing some Marshall’s....sounds like rock to me! Chugging it!

9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

At Carnegie Hall though, he was playing a 100 watt Hiwatt!

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

That wouldn’t suck either.

Cheers,
    Geoff

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There’s always this.....as it was originally r3corded, as I understand it.

12. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

That video, and a cup of coffee...
    Saturday is ON!

broadcaster, Bassman8 and t-ray like this.
  13. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Funk 49, yeah, some Funk 49.

14. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Great live album. I literally wore out my vinyl copy. Must treat myself to the CD - if it's in print? Am a big fan of Joe; 'But Seriously, Folks' (One of my favourite albums ever) has lived in my car CD player for 3 weeks.

15. tweedman2001

Thanks Wally. I remember watching all the episodes with Joe. Good funny stuff.

Wally likes this.
  16. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Long been a fan, strangely I've never listened to the live album until now. One of my favorite trios. Good stuff!

17. tweedman2001

Funniest thing I ever saw was Joe on Letterman with a sound activated troglodyte doll (pre sober era). I've never been able to find it on youtube. If anyone has it please post it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.