James Burton with Gram Parsons

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by PITT, Feb 11, 2009.

1. PITT

PITT Tele-Meister

2. tele53

tele53 Tele-Meister

Well there should be plenty of talk about it considering I think it is the best work James ever did including the subsequent work with Emmylou Harris. I think JB would agree. What is really also very impressive are the "alternate takes" of Gram's two solo recordings released fairly recently. They are rehearsal tapes, some rough, some actually better than the released versions minus a flaw or two, but you can really hear JB like never before. He is astonishing on it.
    "Pick it for me James."

3. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

We've had talk in the past on these pages. There's a lot of love for Gram & James on this forum

4. yanick

yanick TDPRI Member

Im a great fan of Gram Parsons whether with The Byrds, The Flying Burrito Brothers or Solo. I have to admit that really got me into James Burton and Emmylou Harris as well.
    Clarene White is another great guitar player associated with Gram Parsons. Also one of Gram's best friend in the early 70's was Keith Richards, who aknowleges Gram as a major influence on Sticky Finger (Mainly "Wild Horses" and "Dead Flowers") and The Stones going "country" on some songs on subsequent albums.

Check outhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gzglg7WDmQ

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  5. tele0053

tele0053 Tele-Holic

tele53,
    I'm right with you on that one, some of Danny Gatton's best stuff which has the same feel is when he was playing in DC with Liz Meyer who was a local outstanding country singer with a style somewhere between Emmy Lou Harris & Carlene Carter if you can imagine such a thing...but I remember seeing them at Fort Reno Park in upper NW Wash.DC. or at The Childe Harold in Dupont Circle around '72 or '73 w/Billy Hancock on bass and Dave Elliott on drums, and Danny on his "53 tele & Emmons pedal steel... and damn!....it was about the most exciting rave up I've ever seen, to this day I'm still trying to catch my breath!
    James Burton's playing w/Parsons & Emmy Lou was very similar to Gatton's stuff of the same time....long live that cookin' chicken pickin' of that era... those guys really had it going on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.