1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

James Burton Standard Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by d_byrne23, Jul 31, 2013.

1. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I would say that it would be a good buy- new on line is around 800-900 so I would go for it if you like it.

2. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I bought one a few years ago...........

for $500 which was a very pretty pearl white like finish and had three lace sensor type pickups. I was going to make a B-Bender guitar out of it but within a few days of getting the guitar I was offered $850 cash for it so I took the money and ran....... Thinking back, I wish I'd kept the guitar and kept it stock. The guy I sold it to is still playing it and it sounds great.......JH in va.

3. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

Between a used James Burton standard tele and a deluxe Nashville what do you feel is the better guitar? Price is about the same just the James Burton is mint but used and the Nashville is new

4. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

I have owned both and would take the Burton every single time. To each his own, however. I think the neck on the JB is simply magical and the stock pickups are far superior to the stock Nashville. That being said the Nashville is a good, versatile guitar. It's a very subjective thing in the end.

5. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

Thank you, may I ask why you sold your Burton?

6. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I'd be all over it for $400 if just in decent shape.

7. JazzTwanger

JazzTwanger Tele-Meister

Vintage inspired specs, substantial neck, jumbo frets, Texas specials, and affiliation with a twang legend? Sounds like a winner to me. Heard nothing but good things about the Burton model on this forum.

8. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

Alright going to go check it out and maybe make a purchase if everything checks out!

9. mildwild

mildwild Tele-Afflicted

Where are you in Ontario ?
    I live Toronto and the only one I've ever seen is the I bought. They are a great guitar and hard to find .

10. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

To fund something that is long forgotten. It was a rare moment of insanity. Biggest gear mistake ever in retrospect.

11. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

Happens to the best of us. I'm 25 and to look back at my last 5 years of GAS mistakes...there really should be an episode of that Intervention show for people with gear mistakes like me haha...

Just trying to start fresh right now with a dependable guitar that will be built to last etc...

12. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

NGD I am fairly happy I just have some concerns. First off the condition is absolutely mint and everything I have been told is original. I thought however it was like the new James Burtons however I believe it is old, like 20+ years?

Can someone help me identify the year it was made and the specs like pickups etc? Thanks guys

http://postimg.org/image/cz52ubw1x/

http://postimg.org/image/4pvrw4qm5/

Sorry not sure how to post pics those links should work.

Attached Files:

13. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

N6 is 1996, My JB Tele is N5 1995.

As best I can tell the specs have not changed on this model. Yours and mine are the same as the new guitars.

14. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

Just found that out last night. Can't believe how heavy it is compared to the CVC I owned. Still paid a decent price for it, maybe she will turn out to be a real player

15. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

Some better pics:

http://s22.postimg.org/a4sbnkgpd/Tele2.jpg

http://s22.postimg.org/uio1wpcpd/Tele3.jpg

I did more research and wikipedia (questionable) had the most information I could find on specs.

"The Standard model of the James Burton Telecaster was introduced in 1996 and features a solid alder body finished in Candy Apple Red with a 1-ply white pickguard. This model was inspired by Burton's third guitar, the 1953 Telecaster that he played on the seminal 1957 recording of "Susie Q" with Dale Hawkins.[4] The neck is a 1-piece maple 1960s vintage U-shape design with a satin finish and 1950s-style decals. The hardware includes a vintage six-saddle Telecaster bridge, a pair of Texas Special Tele single-coil pickups, a three-way switch and vintage chrome Ping tuners. This instrument is made in Mexico"

I get that 1996 is not that old but the owner had it up on kijiji and he said he was moving and this thing was in storage for 17 years and he just took it out and had it set up. Think I made away with a decent score

16. sax4blues

I'm not really following how you are surprised at the age of the guitar if he communicated it had been in the closet for 17 years? Many times people boast about a closet find like that.

17. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

Sorry, the person I bought it off did not specify the age in the ad. When trying to research the guitar the Google search made me stumble on the ad where he bought it off and decided he wanted a new acoustic so he sold it to me. I saw the original owner had posted that he had it stored for 17 years. Just a pretty crazy story but ya it seems like a decent buy at 400. Definitely a larger neck than a standard mim or a cvc

18. mildwild

mildwild Tele-Afflicted

It isn't an old guitar

Some of the artist models had the N6 as does mine

It came from the factory to the store new that way. I bought it a day after it arrived from the factory

19. sax4blues

I believe and I think others here agree the OP bought a great guitar for a good price. I own the same model and it's a keeper for me.

Now to the age. The OP learned the guitar was purchased new and kept in a closet for 17 years so I'm not sure why the idea that it was manufactured recently.

The Fender website has a page defining their serial number markings, it's posted below. They even make specific reference to the signature models as MSN. Mine is an MSN5 and is consistent with what my seller told me about the age of the guitar. The OP guitar is marked N6 and even Ma & Pa Kettle would add that as 1996 + 17 = 2013.

I don't know when a guitar stops being a new guitar if it's never been played. To me OP purchased a closet queen. It appears in brand new condition but it is 17 years old.

DATING YOUR MEXICAN-MADE FENDER INSTRUMENT
    Fender began producing instruments in its Ensenada, Mexico, factory in 1990. Instruments made between 1990 and 2000 carry “MN” prefix serial numbers, with the “M” designating Mexico and the “N” designating the 1990s.

The numbers for each year typically overlap, as there is always a transitional period between successive years and as necks that are made and serial numbered late in any given year are used on instruments assembled in the early months of the following year.

SERIAL NUMBERS PRODUCTION DATES
    MN0 + 5 or 6 digits 1990-1991
    MN1 + 5 or 6 digits 1991-1992
    MN2 + 5 or 6 digits 1992-1993
    MN3 + 5 or 6 digits 1993-1994
    MN4 + 5 or 6 digits 1994-1995
    MN5 + 5 or 6 digits 1995-1996
    MN6 + 5 or 6 digits 1996-1997
    MN7 + 5 or 6 digits 1997-1998
    MN8 + 5 or 6 digits 1998-1999
    MN9 + 5 or 6 digits 1999-2000
    At the end of 1999, the serial numbers transitioned from an “MN” prefix to an “MZ” prefix with the “M” designating Mexico and the “Z” designating the 2000s.

MZ0 + 5 or 6 digits 2000-2001
    MZ1 + 5 or 6 digits 2001-2002
    MZ2 + 5 or 6 digits 2002-2003
    MZ3 + 5 or 6 digits 2003-2004
    MZ4 + 5 or 6 digits 2004-2005
    MZ5 + 5 or 6 digits 2005-2006
    MZ6 + 5 or 6 digits 2006-2007
    MZ7 + 5 or 6 digits 2007-2008
    MZ8 + 5 or 6 digits 2008-2009
    MZ9 + 5 or 6 digits 2009-2010

A new serial-numbering scheme was adopted toward the end of 2009 using the number “10” as a prefix, followed by a space, followed by seven digits. The “10” prefix was designed to identify the first year of the second decade of the new millennium, and while it appears on the instrument decals, it was not captured in Fender’s operating system. Only the seven-digit suffixes were actually entered into the database. These serial numbers did not identify the country of origin in the body of the number. Instead, the instrument’s country of origin appears on the decal on the back of the headstock, near the serial number.

This new numbering scheme was short-lived and was replaced only a few months later by an improved scheme that identifies an instrument’s country of origin and year of manufacture in the body of the serial number.

This new scheme uses the letters “MX” as a prefix to designate an instrument made in Mexico, followed by an eight-digit number. The first two digits of the number identify the year of manufacture, (10 for 2010, 11 for 2011, etc.). The following six digits are the unit identifier, although it should be noted that these final six numbers are not sequential and do not provide any other identification information about the instrument. This new scheme is now used on the majority of Fender instruments made in Mexico, with certain exceptions.

“10” prefix followed by a space and eight digits
    Late 2009 through approximately March 2010
    MX10 + 6 digits 2010-2011
    MX11 + 6 digits 2011-2012

EXCEPTIONS

The Jim Root Telecaster, James Burton Standard Telecaster, Buddy Guy Stratocaster (polka dot model), Robert Cray Stratocaster and Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster use an “MSN” serial number prefix. Note: in October 2010, some artist models switched to the new “MX10” numbering scheme.

The Ritchie Blackmore Stratocaster and Duff McKagan P Bass use an “MSZ” serial number prefix.

The Reggie Hamilton and Frank Bello Jazz basses used an “MX” serial number prefix before the 2010 change.

California Series electric guitars and basses from 1997 and 1998 use an “AMXN” prefix and share U.S./Mexico origin.

20. d_byrne23

d_byrne23 Tele-Meister

I just did not do my research before hand that is why I was surprised to find out it was made in 96, regardless of the age I was just surprised I had no idea the history of the model. So far I am happy with it and I thank everyone for their help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.